Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Lotion

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
Just to let you know Roxy, I did as you said and it worked! I'm now back to my red, shiney hair! Thank you so much! I'd started debating whether or not to dye/highlight my hair :)

Roxy

Familiar Face
Miss Scarlet said:
Just to let you know Roxy, I did as you said and it worked! I'm now back to my red, shiney hair! Thank you so much! I'd started debating whether or not to dye/highlight my hair :)

Fantastic! I'm so glad it worked for you. :)

Ada Vice

One of the Regulars
Miss Scarlet said:

I find Pantenne Clarifying shampoo (the one in the clearblue bottle) really good for product build up, course baking soda is much cheaper! Once a month of either product will make your hair shiney. :)

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
Setting Lotion Application?

Hi Ladies...I have a question regarding setting lotion. I just purchased Lottabody and Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion, both of which were recommendations by you Fine Ladies of the Lounge. :) I'm rather new to setting lotion, and since you're all experts on the subject, my question is this: when you apply these setting lotions, do you apply only to the roots, or do you saturate the entire head from root to tip before you set and style (how much do you apply)?

Marla

A-List Customer
JazzyDame said:
Hi Ladies...I have a question regarding setting lotion. I just purchased Lottabody and Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion, both of which were recommendations by you Fine Ladies of the Lounge. :) I'm rather new to setting lotion, and since you're all experts on the subject, my question is this: when you apply these setting lotions, do you apply only to the roots, or do you saturate the entire head from root to tip before you set and style (how much do you apply)?

I think the area of application depends on the style you're going for. I like to curl just the end of my hair for a 30s look so that when the curls are combed out they lay flat against my head. When setting, I separate a section of hair from the rest and spray the ends with Lottabody, which I keep a mixture of in a spray bottle.

Generally, it's best not to spray the roots because the Lottabody 'hardens' the hair and then when you brush it it becomes frizzy. It's best to not put it where you don't need it. Selective application is the way to go.

Roxy

Familiar Face
Marla said:
I think the area of application depends on the style you're going for. I like to curl just the end of my hair for a 30s look so that when the curls are combed out they lay flat against my head. When setting, I separate a section of hair from the rest and spray the ends with Lottabody, which I keep a mixture of in a spray bottle.

Generally, it's best not to spray the roots because the Lottabody 'hardens' the hair and then when you brush it it becomes frizzy. It's best to not put it where you don't need it. Selective application is the way to go.

Is your mixture just lotion and water? What ratio do you use when mixing?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Ooh! I want to try that cream wrap! I hardly use setting lotion, but when I do I use lottabody purple. It took me some time to used to it though. A couple years ago I tried a foaming setting lotion that I LOVED at first, but then I found it made my hair stinky far too quickly for my liking. I was able to get a 3 day curl hold from it without a reset, but it just made my hair smelly after using it a handful of times. I think the cream may give me the ease of the foam, but without the stink! Here's hoping! Otherwise I may have to try that second one you recommended!

CaramelSmoothie said:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I too am fascinated by the idea of Creamwrap! I use Lottabody purple, diluted about 5 to 1. Doesn't make my hair too stiff, and I can usually get 3 days out of a set, with minimal curling iron touch-up.

I've also used Dr. Miracle's Healing Styling Foam. I won a bottle in a giveaway from Allure magazine a couple of years ago. It had kind of a cool menthol feel to it. It worked great and made my hair feel very nice & soft, but I haven't found it again locally. They also make a wrap & setting lotion I'd be interested in trying. It is yet another "ethnic" product. Curious if any of you ladies have used it?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Ada Vice said:
I find Pantenne Clarifying shampoo (the one in the clearblue bottle) really good for product build up, course baking soda is much cheaper! Once a month of either product will make your hair shiney. :)

For a really heavy duty clarifying treatment, right before I color I use Ion's crystal clarifying treatment. It comes in a little purple packet from Sally's, maybe around the $3 mark. It is a powder you mix into a gel and leave on your hair for up to 20 minutes. I always color right after, as it can lighten a bit. It always leaves my hair super shiny and soft.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
Ooh! I want to try that cream wrap! I hardly use setting lotion, but when I do I use lottabody purple. It took me some time to used to it though. A couple years ago I tried a foaming setting lotion that I LOVED at first, but then I found it made my hair stinky far too quickly for my liking. I was able to get a 3 day curl hold from it without a reset, but it just made my hair smelly after using it a handful of times. I think the cream may give me the ease of the foam, but without the stink! Here's hoping! Otherwise I may have to try that second one you recommended!

I find that my hair dries faster with the cream versus liquids. I am Black American with chemically straightened hair so my hair can hold curls fairly easy, I hope that this creamwrap can work for you.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
CaramelSmoothie said:
I find that my hair dries faster with the cream versus liquids. I am Black American with chemically straightened hair so my hair can hold curls fairly easy, I hope that this creamwrap can work for you.

Thanks, I hope so too. My hair texture is very similar to black people's hair. ESPECIALLY around my hairline. I am hoping this helps tame the kink and hold the curl. Does it leave a greasy residue? It's 5 dollars so I will be trying it anyway, I just want an idea of what to expect.

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
Lustrasilk Set & Style Lotion?

Have any of you gals tried Lustrasilk Set & Style Lotion? I was at Sally's Beauty Supply this morning and noticed it on the shelf...it looks and smells just like Lottabody (even has the same packaging!). The only difference indicated in the ingredients was that Lustrasilk's product has conditioners in it (hydrolized silk protein). I was wondering if any of you have tried it and what were the results?

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
Thanks, I hope so too. My hair texture is very similar to black people's hair. ESPECIALLY around my hairline. I am hoping this helps tame the kink and hold the curl. Does it leave a greasy residue? It's 5 dollars so I will be trying it anyway, I just want an idea of what to expect.

No, not for me. I don't use a lot of it because a lot is not needed. I use very little on each piece of hair before I roll it. A little goes a long way so that jar should last you awhile.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Yay! That gives me extra hope. For some reason my scalp has not been liking any products lately and turning my hair into stinky goo! LOL How is that for glamorous?!

CaramelSmoothie said:
No, not for me. I don't use a lot of it because a lot is not needed. I use very little on each piece of hair before I roll it. A little goes a long way so that jar should last you awhile.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
JazzyDame said:
Have any of you gals tried Lustrasilk Set & Style Lotion? I was at Sally's Beauty Supply this morning and noticed it on the shelf...it looks and smells just like Lottabody (even has the same packaging!). The only difference indicated in the ingredients was that Lustrasilk's product has conditioners in it (hydrolized silk protein). I was wondering if any of you have tried it and what were the results?

I'm going to drop by Sally this evening (they just put in a brand new one right on my way home... dangerous!) and check this out! I'm always on the lookout for conditioning products for my dry, thick, colored hair.

It says it is alcohol free, for dry or colored hair:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Set-and-Style-Lotion/SBS-119010,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
aallred said:
When I went to sallys the only Lottabody they had was green. It does say setting lotion on the front but it also has olive oil in it. Has anyone tried this kind? Or am I better off just ordering the right (purple) one?

I just saw this on the Sally website, while looking at Lustrasilk. I've never tried it - have only used the regular purple Lottabody, but again, I'm intrigued. I like anything that involves conditioning. Being a product whore, I'll probably end up buying this one to try, too.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/setting-lotion/LTABDY2,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

They also have a foam wrap with olive oil:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/foam-wrap/SBS-105233,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

I wonder if these might be a little nicer for those of us with a tendency toward dry or fried hair?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well, the Sally I stopped in to last night didn't have any of the olive oil products. :( They did have Lustrasilk, but I didn't end up buying it - after justifying to myself that I have a nearly full bottle of Lottabody sitting at home.

Also just an FYI, but Lottabody was about $2 cheaper per bottle at Wal-Mart. The bottle there (white bottle, not clear like at Sally) was $2.99. At Sally, the slightly smaller size bottle was $4.99.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21