Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Pattern Central

Blondie

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
I have a "regular" setting pattern I use 99% of the time, and I do the same with any kind of roller and curling iron(when my hair was shorter.. bob length)

I'll post the set and the do afterward. I find that with this set, I can wear it down and curly, and when it is longer, it is easy to throw the sides up into rolls. The bangs, depending on the length, you can brush backward, forward or sideways, and it works all ways. It's just a matter of playing with it, and seeing what you like best for the day.

Short hair:
rollers.jpg

100_3204.jpg

reddecember.jpg

Long Hair:
The same set, with bigger rollers looks like this. (I just did a forward roll with bang this time and brushed them back when it was short.)

100_4106.jpg
Red, you look AMAZING !
Your hair is so glossy,
can I ask you how long your bangs are, i LOVE the way you have set them .
And if you can post a pick of unset hair so i can see how it sits before you set it ?
thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Blondie said:
Red, you look AMAZING !
Your hair is so glossy,
can I ask you how long your bangs are, i LOVE the way you have set them .
And if you can post a pick of unset hair so i can see how it sits before you set it ?
thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Blondie!

Which bangs did you like? My hair was much shorter in the red version than the brown version. The red version, my bangs were probably around my eyes. Say.. 3 inches. The brown hair, my bangs were about 5 inches. I'll get a pic for normal hair for you... now, my hair is about 1.5- 2 inches longer than it was in the brown hair pic. I'll get it and put it back in this post..

EDIT:

Ok, so I went back through my archived pics, and this next pic was taken 2 months before the curled up picture. I'm pretty sure I cut some bangs though.. I may have trimmed them slightly myself. Angled like...anyhow, here is what it looked like normally.

100_2143.jpg

Blondie

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
Thank you Blondie!

Which bangs did you like? My hair was much shorter in the red version than the brown version. The red version, my bangs were probably around my eyes. Say.. 3 inches. The brown hair, my bangs were about 5 inches. I'll get a pic for normal hair for you... now, my hair is about 1.5- 2 inches longer than it was in the brown hair pic. I'll get it and put it back in this post..
hey Red, the bangs i like best are in the pic where you are wearing red shirt !

Blondie

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
Thank you Blondie!

EDIT:

Ok, so I went back through my archived pics, and this next pic was taken 2 months before the curled up picture. I'm pretty sure I cut some bangs though.. I may have trimmed them slightly myself. Angled like...anyhow, here is what it looked like normally.

100_2143.jpg

THANK YOU Red !!!!!!

Smuterella

One Too Many
OK, I finally got to trying Retromom's setting last night, but weirdly, more my hair than the setting I thing, one side went into almost fingerwave style waves and the other side stayed totally straight. most peculiar.

I'm wondering if its because I'm spraying the lottabody and its not coming up through the spray properly, perhaps just the added water was coming out

*thinks about molecules, mind boggles*

If it had curled all the way round it would have been lovely

StellaLuna

New in Town
This is so inpiring!

RetroBabydoll said:

OOOH, thank you so much for these links! I am so inspired and will definitely try some of these - If I have any success I'll post them in the 'show us your hair' thread...

retromom147

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
OK, I finally got to trying Retromom's setting last night, but weirdly, more my hair than the setting I thing, one side went into almost fingerwave style waves and the other side stayed totally straight. most peculiar.

I'm wondering if its because I'm spraying the lottabody and its not coming up through the spray properly, perhaps just the added water was coming out

*thinks about molecules, mind boggles*

If it had curled all the way round it would have been lovely

I've been using the Motions at home lotion and it lasts roughly 2 days...I don't know about the lottabody...haven't gotten to try it yet but I would try putting the lotion on a wet comb and running it through my hair.
I noticed that the more lotion I used, the nicer my set. But it took courage to put that much "leave-in" goop in my hair...lol

Josephine

One Too Many
I tried a new pattern this evening, didn't get any pictures but here's what I did:

1. Sectioned off my hair from one ear, over the top of my head to the other ear. Put the back in a ponytail.

2. Sectioned off the front of my hair in 3 parts-- top, and 2 sides. Put 8 pin curls on the top section, 2 long rows left to right of 4 curls. Put 3 pin curls in each side section, 2 on top and 1 on bottom.

3. Sectioned off the back from one ear around the back of my head (horizontally) to the other ear. Put the lower part in a pony tail. Put 8 pin curls in the top section, in one row (as best as I could).

4. Put the bottom section in 3 pin curls.

The back pattern was mainly done because I had 11 pins left. lol I hate pinning the back of my head, I need to do it first because I'm tired by the time I get back there and I tend to make the curls too thick just to get it done with. I'll take pics tomorrow and post them, I hope my hairs turns out ok!

MissS

A-List Customer
Josephine, I'd love a piccy of your hair in pin curls if you have one. My hair is long as well and I'm having a hard time putting the pin curls in. They either end up an uneven frizzy mess, or I give up and put rollers in the back.

Dying to see how your hair turns out!

Josephine

One Too Many
MissS said:
They either end up an uneven frizzy mess, or I give up and put rollers in the back.

My pin curls are usually uneven, as to make them I place either one finger (front) or two (back) against my scalp and then wrap the strand of hair around that, and wrestle it off my finger (I invariably wind it too tightly) then pin it to my head. This time around, on the top of my head, I used the little clips that girls wear as I didn't have enough of the pin curl pin/clips. AND the ones on the side of my head hurt too much when I tried to sleep so I had to get up in the middle of the night and take them out. I wear a Buff over my curls at night so thankfully that keeps them in place. I'll see what I can do about the before pictures though (she says after all that kvetching! :D).

CassD

One of the Regulars
SarahLouise said:
hairpatternfront.jpg

Any tips would be much appreciated! :)

I tried the bottom right-hand one (with the pin-curls away from the face and the part), and it did create a rather nice back-sweep. Sorry, no pics as the rest looked like poo. Me and this setting thing are just not getting along.

CassD

One of the Regulars
I have a question about pincurls. When I was taught to do them, it was wrapping around with the ends forming the inside of the curl, however, I just read on a site that pincurls start at the root (or the closest point to the root that you're going) and then the tip is on the outside. How do you ladies do your pincurls for setting?

Smuterella

One Too Many
either way really, mine tend to turn out similarly whether in or out, the key i am finding is in the direction of the curl and the size of the curl

~*Red*~

Practically Family
CassD said:
I have a question about pincurls. When I was taught to do them, it was wrapping around with the ends forming the inside of the curl, however, I just read on a site that pincurls start at the root (or the closest point to the root that you're going) and then the tip is on the outside. How do you ladies do your pincurls for setting?

I was taught the same way in beauty school. Roll from the ends up. I have seen many articles, vintage and not that say you can do it either way. personally I haven't tried from the root, but I am thinking it would be easier. especially when it comes to layered hair and all the ends that are not the same length.;)

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Here is how I set my hair last night. I had three curlers, one above the other, in front and on each side of my center part. They were set in a out and downward direction, (hair is placed OVER the curler when you first begin rolling.) I set the rest in curlers in a row along my nuke.
DSC00191.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

I put two rolls in my hair with two braids, (and some makeup on my face). And voila! I like all the wave action I got in front of the rolls.
DSC00195-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner