Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Pattern Central

Snookie

Practically Family
Here's the setting pattern/tutorial I mentioned I was going to do. I don't have enough pictures of putting in the combs, but I think the rest is thorough. Let me know if there's anything I missed and I'll try to fill the gap. I'm no expert, this is just works for me. I developed this style because I always ran out of time to style the top/front, I only ever have time to get the rollers in. So sticking in combs is my fast and easy solution.

Here's the final product, front and back:
DSC01157.jpg
DSC01158.jpg

I've got straight, baby-fine hair. I highlighted it recently (holds a curl better now), but I used to do the same style very successfully, pre-damage.

My supplies: Hotsticks, light-hold alcohol-based aerosol hairspray (NOT water-based, pump style like Herbal Essences - it won't dry quickly enough), strong hold Bed Head Hardhead, end papers, 2 haircombs, clips to hold sections while you're working, comb/brush/mirror. I don't use setting lotion, it doesn't work for a hot set.
DSC01136.jpg

1) Section off hair. When putting in the rollers, I work from the bottom up. I do 4 sections - crown, above the ears, and split the rest into 2.
DSC01135.jpg

2)I use the medium (purple) rollers on the bottom/back, and the small (blue) rollers on the top. All the rollers are facing down/back, with the exception of the ones above my ears, since that hair's getting pulled up.
HAIRSPRAY (with the light hold) each section before rolling, careful not to roll it too wet, or it won't set.

My setting pattern is 2 at the bottom, 3 in the next row, 5 in the third row (above my ears).
DSC01140.jpg
DSC01145.jpg

3)The Top: Decide where your part is going to be, about a 1/3-2/3 split.
DSC01139.jpg

Setting Pattern - all rollers going back, roughly 9 curlers. This I vary slightly.
DSC01144.jpg

4) Remove, and fingercomb all potential knots out. Make funny faces at anyone nearby!
DSC01149.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
5) Brush, brush, brush. I know some girls like boars hair brushes, they make my hair too frizzy. I just use plastic bristles. Here, you can see the left side (your left) has been brushed slightly more than the right.

WARNING: If the bathroom is remotely humid while I'm removing my curlers, my curls droop. I negotiate for bathroom time early on in the day. :)
DSC01150.jpg

6)Section the front (like you're doing a roll, with a vertical part from the back of ear up.) Tease the front for more height, and/or the back to give the comb something to grab. light mist of hairspray, lightly comb the top/front to smooth it. Push the comb in, teeth facing forwards.
DSC01151.jpg

7)Brush hair one more time, to smooth/fluff. I brush it too smooth, then fluff it up slightly with my fingers.

8)BedHead Hard Head time. The only hairspray for potentially humid situations, including swing dances or evening ocean visits. You CANNOT brush your hair again once sprayed, so make sure everything's in place first. You CAN scrunch the hair slightly, if it's started drooping, and it should fluff slightly. I usually do two heavy coats, but 1 medium coat should get you through most situations. :)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
GREAT TUTORIAL!!!

I really liked how you showed the one side brushed more than the other.

I think there should be a thread of our poodle heads. I recently did a set and could seriously not stop laughing. It was just too funny to brush it down all nice and then run my fingers through and POOF! We were having way too much fun at my hair's expense. lol lol lol

For babyfine hair, your hair does not show it! Lovely job Snookie!!

MissHannah

One Too Many
Thanks so much snookie! I just won some hot sticks on ebay so I can give this a shot. MUST buy some end-papers too.

Red: you're so right - we should totally start a poodle frizz thread!

Smuterella

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
Thanks so much snookie! I just won some hot sticks on ebay so I can give this a shot. MUST buy some end-papers too.

Red: you're so right - we should totally start a poodle frizz thread!

Yep, thanks snookie, thats one of the clearest tutorials I've seen in a while! I just won some hot sticks too, just waiting for them to arrive.

I think a poodle frizz thread is a great idea.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Oh good! I'm glad I'm not alone in the whole "poodle head" thing. When I first used my hot sticks and I had such tight curls, I panicked! But after a thorough brushing, it looked much better.

Great tutorial! Thanks so much!!!

Snookie

Practically Family
Thanks everybody! I learned so much here on the lounge about doing my hair that I wanted to share with others. I hadn't thought about using hot rollers in years, had never heard of Hot Sticks, and would have never had the courage to brush my curls if I hadn't been told. Thank you to everyone who's contributed to this board. And even though Jitterbugdoll isn't around anymore, I want to give a special thanks to her - her hair posts really gave me the basics I needed. (Seriously, go back and read through all her old posts - you'll learn a ton!)

PS

A-List Customer
Snookie,
You have me watching HotSticks now. I even loved the before it was brushed out tight curl.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Snookie, amazing! As everyone else said, I think the pics where one side is more combed than the other are great. I shall post poodle frizz pics of me the next time I do a set, it is so important that everyone attempting vintage styles with pin curls or hot sticks knows that you look like an 80's mess until you have combed the curls smooth.

Smuterella

One Too Many
free medium wave clips in the classifieds, I'd say either two lots of three or one lot of six for them to be of any use

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Thanks for the tutorial Snookie, your hair looks fantastic! Hot sticks do nothing for me unfortunately but seeing this has made me want to give them another try.

Mary

Practically Family
Beautiful tutorial. I really like to see the whole process. Nothing makes sence to me otherwise. ´

I've just set my hair for the very first time with hot rollers and it didn't work out but will try one more time before it's bedtime. Love to start practising!

M

Smuterella

One Too Many
from setting pattern to finished style...

while I am getting the hang of setting my hair in pin curls I can never get a look even half way similar to the style I was aiming for, I think the key skills I am missing are brushing out and styling. Has anyone managed to get a style like those in the hair books/magazines or are they really impossible to do yourself?

is the key in having the correct cut?

what am i doing wrong?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I can make the bewitching bangs look pretty much spot on, but it didn't look right until my hair was the proper length, and until I had it cut to a U-shape in the back. So yeah, the right cut has something to do with it.

But it definitely also depends on the way you brush it. When I first started doing bewitching bangs I used to just brush all my hair together first and then only afterwards tried to make the bangs go forward to make that faux bang look. I usually ended up with a bang going sideways, and then I couldn't brush it forward like in the picture. I then started to brush the hair in sections, so just after taking the pins out, I start brushing the bangs forward and then separately fluff the sides and back.

I have only been setting my hair the bewitching bangs way or in a slightly different pattern I combined myself from bits and parts from the Daniela Turudich book, so without any direct reference for comparison. I'm sure many styles are much more difficult to copy, so don't despair. Maybe you can try and practice on bewitching bangs, it should be a relatively easy one to style, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner