Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting Pattern Central

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Yes, great tutorial! I am thinking about trying hot sticks however my hair is super thick and pretty long, I'm not sure how hot sticks would work for me. I don't have the patience or the time (having a newborn) to do pincurls. What would be reccomended for my type of hair that would be relatively easy? Hot sticks, perm rods, foam rollers, hot rollers, spiral curler?

PS

A-List Customer
I have long thick hair and hot stick didn't cut it for me. I would have needed 3 sets. Try the cheapest first. Foam rollers. Many dollar stores have them

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
All of your ladies tutorials look so great! I have only set my hair with hot rollers and a few times with hotsticks (but they hurt my finertips lol ) I don't even want to try with the pin curls, I have waaaay too hair and it is waay to thick. It will take days for it to dry if I can even find headspace for it all.

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
Great tutorial - must give it a go!

I was schlepping about on ebay looking for curling appliances and found some weird foam ball thing from China, which looks like a spoolie crossed with a tennis ball. It looks like it'd be really comfy to sleep in so I've bought some and I'll let you know how I get on! You can even buy a version which look like strawberries! Has anyone else used them?

SayCici

Practically Family
29wwjzd.jpg

(Sorry it's so big!)

I'm planning on trying the top two eventually! Question: how on earth do you do stand up pin curls, and how do they stay/how do you sleep in them?

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
To stand up a pincurl, you simply roll it in as if you are doing any type of standard roller. Then you clip w/ bobbies or an alligator clip inside of the curl so that it stands up from your head.

It's kind of hard to explain but I did a few that way on my youtube pincurl tutorial (channel linked below), if you are interested. I always feel like people are gonna think I'm plugging my channel...but it really is easier to show you than to tell you. ha

You can sleep in flat pincurls easily...the ones standing up at the front of your hair should present any type of problem either...Just put a light chiffon scarf over your set while you sleep to prevent frazzling. Good luck!

SayCici

Practically Family
Thank you! After staring some more at the picture I got how to do it, and I read that to sleep in them, stuff little balls of cotton (like rip up a cotton ball) in there so that they don't get all out of shape when you sleep!

Don't worry about that! It's always helpful to see something done instead of illustrations with vague "you should already know the basics of how to do this" directions. :)

And I actually found your youtube channel before I noticed you posting so. :p I love the one where you show what the middy looks like - I wish there was more info about shorter cuts, like the 1940s shingle. You see so much talk about shorter hair being popular then and in the 50s but I rarely find illustrations for setting shorter hair, and I'd really like to see how that cut looks unstyled.

SayCici

Practically Family
PS ladies:
I found that set illustration from this Flickr set, it's great!! I was happy finding it because I mostly only do sets with my bangs/around my face and can't figure out stuff on my own. ;p

2883056734_1feeb57897.jpg

2882216343_f42e4ae851.jpg

Antje

One Too Many
SayCici said:
Thank you! After staring some more at the picture I got how to do it, and I read that to sleep in them, stuff little balls of cotton (like rip up a cotton ball) in there so that they don't get all out of shape when you sleep!

Great tip, never taught of it but it must be working

Antje

One Too Many
LisaFreemontSt said:
It's kind of hard to explain but I did a few that way on my youtube pincurl tutorial (channel linked below), if you are interested. I always feel like people are gonna think I'm plugging my channel...but it really is easier to show you than to tell you. ha

Don't worry about that I always consider your tutorials very helpfull
and I wanted to mention the FL, but you already found it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner