Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Setting up house in the 1940s

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
I might be posting out of place but I do think the ladies replying to this thread might have more respect for these items hehe.

I was out remodeling the shed behind my place and found my home's original doorknobs and cabnet knobs too... snapped some tiny shots of em but...well I think they are cool... been going around putting em all back on.

I wonder what else is hidden in that shed... lol

Picture 17.jpg

Picture 18.jpg

Picture 19.jpg

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Beautiful!

McPeppers, those are simply charming and I'm so envious! Wish I had a "treasure shed" out back! The cut glass ones go for $25 and up around here in the antique shops and that's usually just one knob and no hardware! I'm not sure how much those painted porcelain ones would go for because I haven't seen too many of those. What an amazing find! Putting the original knobs back on your doors is like icing on a cake. Quite the finishing touch!
Lovely!

Rosie

One Too Many
The little painted knobs are like the knobs on my lower closets, but mine are a bit more oblong, I'll have to snap a pic. Before this house was remodeled years ago, (we lived here when I was younger, moved up the street during the remodel, then I moved back here a few years ago as an adult) we had cut glass doorknobs like that. They're gone now.:( In order to modernize the house, my dad did a lot of things I wish he hadn't, replacing doors, removing the dimmer switches, replacing the claw foot tubs :eek: :eek:.

It's great to see those knobs though McPeppers, thanks for posting, I'll have to put those on the list too now.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Well those floral knobs are really pretty...and I'm not personally a fan for floral patterns but *shrug* I like these. As for the glass yeah I know...they sell for around $50 out here and yeah its usually without hardware. Now that my doors are restored partially I'm going to go see a guy I know who makes "vintage keys" with one of my locks and have him remake my "iron key" hehe.

Theres an antiques store here out on Decatur (a street hehe...its in the French Quarter) which has 2 or 3 sets of these glass knobs (again without the hardware) but I'm pretty sure anyone here is resourceful enough to rig em up to a modern lock. The reason you rarely see this hardware anymore is because of its size. Modern deadbolt systems and inner door locks usually only take up 2 1/2 by 1 on the door which makes it appear "low profile"... these old systems take up about 5 3/4 (height) by 1 1/2 (width) and their depth is about 3 1/2 inches. Its a BIG lock lol. when the locksmiths stopped making the keys then when the keys became lost and these beautiful locks became worthless the knobs were retained and the locks thrown out. Occasionally there will be an estate sale and the glass knobs went out sans hardware. I'm just glad all the original hardware is in my doors...now to just make it usable...

Addition: Pics
Picture 20.jpg

Picture 21.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
Here are two of many doors around my house with that kind of key hole. The first picture is from a pocket door which has a wonderful stained glass inset (which is currently painted over) my next door neighbor's turned out to be peacocks and what we think is a crane. I can't wait to see what mine will be.
I remember specifically this door having the big crystal0ly knobs when I was a kid. I have no idea where they are now, maybe my basement or my mom's, I'll have to do some digging. When I moved here, they had big silver levers which I took off to be able to paint the door and I've yet to replace them. :eek:

pocketdoor.jpg

The second door had no knob or even a place to put a knob but, it has a huge locking mechanisim. My basement door and a door under my stairs is like this too, as well as the glass doors to the pantries. My house has double pantries.

closetdoor.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
You might change your mind after the first bottle of Simple Green needed to clean the cooking grease. And over the sink? Solid rust already. :(

It's pretty where it's still shiny though! lol
lol like I needed one more thing to keep clean around the house, huh?!...well, I shall admire it from afar then ;)

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Rosie said:
The second door had no knob or even a place to put a knob but, it has a huge locking mechanisim. My basement door and a door under my stairs is like this too, as well as the glass doors to the pantries. My house has double pantries.

Yeah I've seen that style before, usually there was a simple handle to manipulate the door with, though if it was a light door you would actually use the key as the door handle (when its turned sideways after the lock disengaged).

Theres still a few large gates here in New Orleans that use that old system. It's really cool you have that!.

olive bleu

One Too Many
first of all, i love the glass doorknobs, i have them on all the doors in my house( that i am renting, that i am moving out of in a month...would it be terrible to take them with me?:D )

AS for the Aluminum pots, I believe that there is an issue with the safety of aluminum coming into contact with food.The All-clad pots, etc actually have aluminum sandwiched between stainless steel, or copper or some other metal.
aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat so, it is still used as long as it doesn't touch the food.now this is at least what some manufacturers will tell you and why they encourage you to buy their "safe pots", here is some info from health canada and their findings. i think the bottom line is, no one knows for sure.on one hand they list all the things that could go wrong if you are exposed to lots of aluminum and on the other it says, "nawww...no need to throw away your nice pots...":phttp://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/water-eau/drink-potab/aluminum-aluminium_e.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80