Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seven Year Itch - 57 Years Today

Well, I finally got this article about the history of The Seven Year Itch up - the original Broadway production, that is, which premiered on 11/20/1952. Thought a few Loungers might be interested in it as I uncovered a few things in my investigation: one, who the character of The Girl was based on, and two, the location of the Staircase and the shooting location of the Monroe film.

Regards,

Jack

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful, excellent, fascinating, fun, not to mention INFORMATIVE, article. I'll have to find both the 71 Irving Place address, and the E 61st location.
"Itch" was on the tube recently and I looked it up in www.imdb.com. It amazed me to find negative comments about Tom Ewell left by ignorant persons. He was the DEFINITIVE Richard Sherman. And of course Marilyn was Marilyn. VERY interesting to learn the reality of the original. I'll have to read it.
About Jayne Mansfield: Jack Paar had her on his Friday evening show (after he left the Tonight Show) along with Zsa Zsa Gabor, a number of times. It was a battle of wits and Zsa Zsa was totally unarmed. Jayne's intelligence, charm and wit blew Zsa Zsa right out of the joint. Paar just sat there and enjoyed it. Jayne was a smart little cookie.
Thanks for this great article, Jack. :eusa_clap

Thanks, Dan. Glad you enjoyed it. I had originally intended to write a lengthier piece about Axelrod and his career but I don't think people would read a ten thousand word piece on the internet. Orson Bean had a lot to say about his work on Rock Hunter and with Mansfield (Walter Matthau hated working with her), and I had always meant to get in touch with Tony Curtis about these wild parties they supposedly used to throw. Maybe i can do a follow up at some point.

Regards,

Jack

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH is showing at Film Forum here in NYC on Saturday, Jan. 2, as part of the month-long MADCAP MANHATTAN festival. It's on a double bill with IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21