Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seven Years in Tibet Jacket...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hey Gang!

I'm sure that many of you here have watched 'Seven Years in Tibet' with Brad Pitt. I've been on the lookout for a very similar jacket that he wore at the end of the film. It is a green wool, I think loden wool, sort of styled after a hunting jacket or jaeger with wide lapels & collar similar to a navy pea coat to block out the wind from the neck & ears on cold days. It appears to have button down patch chest pockets & may have patch or hand warmer pockets as well. Only better pictures will tell.

01139204.jpg
movsht.seven.tibet.GIF

mr2423006.jpg

I wish I could find better images to represent this coat like the front shot as he is walking down the steps. If I find any I'll be sure to post them, but for the time being if any of you folks find any good screen captures please post them to get a better idea of the look of the coat that I'm talking about. I'd like to find a good current version of the jacket, maybe I'll need to talk to Magnoli to see what can be made. So, if any folks here have seen this coat around somewhere I'd like to see an example of it. My guess is that it its either a variant of a loden hunting jacket or a loden mountain jacket. What is your guess? Thank you for any input you may have.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Here's another shot of that jacket. You can see one of the chest patch pockets a little clearer.
7ans_tibet-01.jpg

And this smaller image. It's about the best one I could find to show the cut of the coat. About hip length, sort of like a single breasted pea coat with patch pockets. I'd presume a half belted back, maybe?
tib03.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Photos of the Actual Players

Here are some photos from the book - Seven Years in Tibet (Heinrich Harrer). I thought that it would be interesting for those of you who havn't seen the book to see some of the actual people involved.

7Y1.jpg

7Y2.jpg

7Y3.jpg

Doug C

Practically Family
I'm thinking that jacket may be cordoroy (or however it's spelled :rolleyes: ), a dark loden green. Maybe that's stateing the obvious though..
Doug C

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Looks like a German Trachten ('tradition') garment, probably chosen by the costume designer to emphasize Harrer's Germanness.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Actually, Heinrich was Austrian. But, I did look up the 'Trachten' jackets & coats & mostly found the collarless or stand-up collar variants. None that resembled the single breasted pea coat. I think that this may be an impossible task as this coat only existed in a costume designers imagination & I would stand a better chance of seeing the Devil ice skate to work in the morning than finding even the closest example.
But, I shall trudge on & hope for the best. I'll even hit up a local seamstress & see what she might be able to come up with if I can get enough good screen captures to work from.
If anyone here has the software & the DVD I would truly appreciate some good screen caps to examine.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo