Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Scraps

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Man, I feel like a LOSER! I just tossed two entire boxes of scraps. I wish I had found this thread sooner!

Idledame

Practically Family
I'd have to make a LOT of cards..like thousands, to use up all my scraps but people really appreciate hand made cards, even if they aren't perfect. For this one I got the picture online, cut out the two arms so I could glue the fabric under them. The underskirts are tissue paper. The fan is folded paper. Then I cut around the heads and glued it to parchment type paper.
IMG_2949.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
That card is lovely! So far, I'm just hoarding my scraps, but I recently just used some tattoo material for accents on a 1930s dress.

Parfait

New in Town
Wow, neat card!

I am a quilter, so I love my scrap fabric! I also use scraps to make appliques for my son's clothes, and not so glamorous but I have also used scraps to reinforce or patch pesky pockets (say that three times fast! hah!). I have seen some crafty ladies make necklaces out out scrap fabric as well as wreaths, brooches, and a little memory game I thought was very cute (I'm very baby minded these days!)

I would love to start making fabric covered buttons with my scraps, those are just so cute! You could use them as buttons or glue push pins on the back and make decorative pins or magnets! So cute.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Idledame!

I didnt know you were so crafty, thats lovely!
I just put my latest use of scraps over in the crafting thread. Yay scraps!

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My cat would eat them and I would stumble upon them later in regurgitated piles of stomach acid spotted about the carpet.

Oh wait, thats now. :confused:

LD

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ew.
Miss Tina is far too polite for that. When she does puke, she makes a point of doing it on the hard floor.
She loves it when I sew, though! She picks up pins in her teeth and drops them on the pattern when I am cutting out. My husband thinks she is the reincarnation of a dead couturier friend of mine (she was born about 6 months after he died, makes sense).
World's Best Cat.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Idledame said:
I'd have to make a LOT of cards..like thousands, to use up all my scraps but people really appreciate hand made cards, even if they aren't perfect. For this one I got the picture online, cut out the two arms so I could glue the fabric under them. The underskirts are tissue paper. The fan is folded paper. Then I cut around the heads and glued it to parchment type paper.
IMG_2949.jpg

Idledame, that card is darling! I love fancy 3D cards, but they're usually so expensive. I'll have to remember this.

Lorena B

Practically Family
You can always make sheets and blankets for animal rescue centers, Dogs or cats homes....etc.
In UK for example, are really needed during the winter months, i dont know if in USA you have the same need but it would be worth to inquire about it.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Also, i forgot to say that i also make little stuffed bags to keep & stab my needles and pins.
You can also make fabric covered hangers which i find really girlie and lovely.
Make book covers.
Glasses cases
Make up bags
Tight or stocking bags.
Cushions.
Bias tapes
Fabric covered buttons...
Or even try to make shopping bags so we avoid using the plastic ones that are so horrible for the environment.

The ideas are endless.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Motherload!!

Scraps?
Did someone say SCRAPS??
IMG_1579.jpg

I have two bags of scraps- most of them are rayon gabardine, typically from shirts I had to repair.
(I should qualify that- I do not cut off shirt sleeves unless the elbows, arms, cuffs, etc are trashed. Amputate to save the garment.)
PLEASE look at the pictures- tell me what pieces/ colors you want, I will mail them. I will have to recoup shipping fees and I will probably charge a cheap price, like $5 for the group you pick.
Some of the larger pieces come from my earlier days when I experimented in sewing- not a good idea. ON the plus side, some pieces are large enough to possibly get a smaller women's shirt out of. Or, combine colors and make a two-tone shirt!
Questions? Please ask. Private Message is a better way to get my attention.
Believe me, you women will put this to good use and I'm more than happy to send it to you!!
Holidays are rapidly approaching and this is an excellent opportunity to make gifts for everyone.
IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
When it comes to my sewing scraps, I use them a lot of times to line my knitted bags. Or my theory is that some day I'll make a scrap quilt. But I love the idea of using them to trim dresses and the like.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
My cat would eat them and I would stumble upon them later in regurgitated piles of stomach acid spotted about the carpet.

Oh wait, thats now. :confused:

LD
That's why I toss anything smaller than a yard!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy