Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sexy Beast

MaximOfSurrey

Familiar Face
Anyone seen it? My friend just lent it to me and I must confess that I quite like it. The story is interesting enough and with Ben Kingsley, Ian McShane and Ray Winstone you have some solid performers too.

Furthermore, I really, really, really like Ian McShane as Teddy Bess. His character is downright evil and you know it the second you lay your eyes on him. Those frigid ice blue eyes just... staring at you, looking right through you. His characters (I find) is certainly a lot better than Al Swearengen from Deadwood who just yells, swears and flails his arms a lot. :rolleyes: Actually, come to think of it... I really don't like Deadwood. If they at least didn't keep saying "EDIT: WE DON'T PERMIT SUCH LANGUAGE HERE, EVEN IN QUOTED CONTEXT - SCOTRACE" every second word my mind would be able to keep track and pay attention.

teddybess.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great Flick

no 'bout adoubt it. However IMHO, Alfred Elias Swearingen is a character for the ages on a show that is perhaps the finest use of the medium of television that I have ever seen.
...' that said, if you liked "Sexy Beast" have you seen "the Limey" with Terrace Stamp, much in the same vein, but, IMO, a superior film

SGB

One of the Regulars
Liked both "Sexy Beast" and the "Limey", and really liked "Deadwood" which will be missed.....darn HBO.

SGB

MaximOfSurrey

Familiar Face
SGB said:
Liked both "Sexy Beast" and the "Limey", and really liked "Deadwood" which will be missed.....darn HBO.

SGB

They cancelled Deadwood? That's odd... I wasn't much of a fan but it still seemed to have large and loyal following.

Also, I see that a moderator censored my swearing. Odd, really because I'm used to every other board that I frequent having a swearfilter turned on. Seriously though, if you don't tolerate it in here, why not have it auto-censored?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MaximOfSurrey said:
Also, I see that a moderator censored my swearing. Odd, really because I'm used to every other board that I frequent having a swearfilter turned on. Seriously though, if you don't tolerate it in here, why not have it auto-censored?
Because we usually don't have to. Most people here have a feel for the place before they begin posting and realize that no one else is speaking that way. [huh] Most people police themselves and are clever enough to speak, or quote, without expletives.

MaximOfSurrey

Familiar Face
But what if I have to quote expletives to bring my point across? Such as my distaste for Deadwood due to... well... the copious amounts of swearing.

Anyways, this really is getting off topic so I guess this isn't the right thread to discuss it further.

And yes, I've been meaning to see The Limey but the local selection doesn't give me much choice as in what I can watch.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
MaximOfSurrey said:
But what if I have to quote expletives to bring my point across? Such as my distaste for Deadwood due to... well... the copious amounts of swearing.

Anyways, this really is getting off topic so I guess this isn't the right thread to discuss it further.

And yes, I've been meaning to see The Limey but the local selection doesn't give me much choice as in what I can watch.

Well basically the expletive would be removed. If every other board you frequent has a swearfilter.....then swearing anywhere is not all that acceptable.

Here it is removed by a Bartender....on the other boards a machine.....which would you prefer for having any idea about the context in which the expletives occur?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MaximOfSurrey said:
You don't have to quote expletives to get your point across. Just don't do it, or it will be removed. Also, if you find it distasteful, why would you promote it further? There is an inherent irony here.

Doh!

One Too Many
Swearfilters can be annoying in that they censor words that aren't used in a "dirty" way (use your imagination, kids). Also, depending on how stringent they're used, they'll even censor words like "hell" so it looks like you typed something much, much worse ("That's a [censored] of a fine lookin' hat you have there, Jack").

But back on topic: I really liked the acting in Sexy Beast but don't feel that the story hung together well enough in the end. Of course, I've only seen in once so probably should give it a second chance.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
SEXY BEAST is an excellent way to kill a couple hours. Ben Kingsley's stupendous performance transforms a so-so flick into a gangster classic. Perhaps best of all, there is plenty of swearing which the English have always excelled in. Someday I aspire to be able to curse with the skill and ease of our beloved neighbors across the drink. 69@#&*69@#$*@&69$*@!!!!

Feraud

Bartender
Funny you should say that. While I thought the use of foul language in Sexy Beast was poetic, I stopped watching Deadwood after one episode becuase it seemed contrived. [huh]

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Rick Blaine said:
no 'bout adoubt it. However IMHO, Alfred Elias Swearingen is a character for the ages on a show that is perhaps the finest use of the medium of television that I have ever seen.

No truer words have been spoken.

Pure Shakespeare, updated, dirtier, and at points even more subversive. The most elegant and succint TV I've ever seen made, and the finest characters I've ever seen cross that matter of screen. 'Deadwood' was/is true brilliance and mastery of the medium.

"Sexy Beast" is a fine film, though I admit I saw it so long ago that I had forgotten Ian McShane was even in it! It's going to the top of my Netflix queue...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL