Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shame

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
It's a shame about Paul Tibbets being hassled all these years up until his death, so much so he didn't want a funeral...shame...

Yes it is! Many in the world today are detached from the realities of a world at war. My father told me that our family was quite saddened..but relieved when that event happened. It mean't the saving of many American lives. The Japanese of that era were more than willing to fight and die rather than ever surrender.
It seems that in the last few decades many could care less to understand those events...more concerned with not "offending" anyone. If their Latte gets cold...it's a real disaster....
HD

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
A shame indeed.

HoosierDaddy said:
My father told me that our family was quite saddened..but relieved when that event happened. It mean't the saving of many American lives. The Japanese of that era were more than willing to fight and die rather than ever surrender.

I think many people fail to consider the alternative to dropping the bombs. Had that not been the course of action the war would have most certainly dragged on for years.
Tibbets himself said:
I knew we did the right thing because when I knew we'd be doing that I thought, yes, we're going to kill a lot of people, but by God we're going to save a lot of lives. We won't have to invade [Japan].

Yes most people don't care to understand the events of the past but also I don't think this is part of the general WWII history lesson that most people get and that is a shame too.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
yes...all i hear is, "Japan had already given an unofficial surrender when dropped the bomb"...or something to that effect...shame...

Foofoogal

Banned
I read about that and I now aim to get the book in the article about him.
For some reason I thought of the poem If by Kipling when I read about this man.
My father and uncle joined the Navy the day after Pearl Harbor.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
SamMarlowPI said:
yes...all i hear is, "Japan had already given an unofficial surrender when dropped the bomb"...or something to that effect...shame...

I recall reading a segment in a textbook on communications that mentioned that. The way the story went, American interpreters read something in a Japanese paper that could have been interpreted as "capitulation" or "undying commitment".

Later research also uncovered that the military warlords were willing to assassinate the emperor instead of allowing the surrender.

I hope Tibbets found peace before his demise. Someone had to take that role; he fulfilled it with honor to his death. Many of us might not be here today if he'd not stepped up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy