Share your favourite Jazz

Discussion in 'Radio' started by Baron Kurtz, Nov 2, 2005.

1. pgoat

pgoat One Too Many

Some sad news....

sorry to report:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Peterson

he had had a stroke a number of years ago, which affected one hand, but kept on playing afterwards.......quite the trooper. He'll be missed.:(

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Practically Family

Mel Torme is my favorite. Played drums for the Marx Brothers and, among other things, recorded with Bing Crosby.

A small sample of his "velvet" voice can be found here. Enjoy!

3. Chas

Chas One Too Many

4. merkman

merkman Familiar Face

gipsy jazz

For all of you Django fans out there, you MUST check out "Bireli Lagrene and the gipsy project" He is Django reincarnated. These guys can play!
    It's as if you are listening to the original hot club but recorded with 21st century technology There is also a DVD "Bireli Lagrene and friends live in Vienna" . I think I got it at Amazon. Wonderfull to watch. Truly amazing musicians.......

5. Bud!

A new DVD came out with various video recordings of Powell in Europe towards the end of the 50s and early in the 60s. Clips of this have, of course, found their way onto Youtube.

Make of 'em what you will. This one (below), i think, is a solid representative of the great music Powell was still capable of producing even in his decline. There are complaints in reviews - largely written by non-musicians - that this isn't the Powell of old. damn staright it isn't. peopl make the mistake of comparing his product of the late 40s with his late 50s product. This is music produced by two very different people (by all accounts), and in my opinion cannot be compared directly. These periods of his life must be taken completely independently.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wDfdIf7Yi8M&feature=related

If you're interested by this period of Bud's music, i highly recommend Bud Powell Live at the Gyllene Cirkeln (vols 1-5) out on Steeplechase records.

bk

6. nightandthecity

nightandthecity Practically Family

Bireli and friends.......perhaps the best 8 1/2 minutes on the internet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZey9fRiH4w

7. Viper Man

Viper Man Banned

Great Thread!

I love pretty much all jazz from the 20s to the late 60s (fusion and avant garde do not move me). In fact, I 'll be giving a guest lecture at the local community college in February on jazz. The topic will be Mainstream and I will focus on the Swingville label and profile two very different but in many ways similar musicians, Coleman Hawkins & Pee Wee Russell. I'm still doing research but it should be alot of fun. Great thread.

8. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Lionel Hampton's Flying Home must be one of my favorites. It turned up note-for-note in a dream I had last night.

Anyone else had a favorite record play in eyelid theater?

9. Viper Man

Viper Man Banned

I have never had a full song show up in my dreams but I often have short passages. Most recently, I enjoyed dreaming of Bechet's "Lonesome Blues" but I also recall hearing "Forty Seventh and State" by Bud Freeman not long ago. lol and here I thought I was the only person dreaming of vintage jazz.

BTW, Love Hampton's "Flying Home" and highly reccommend the recently reissued "Complete Lionel Hampton on Victor" from Mosaic Records. Fantastic and timeless music and the remastering sounds incredible.

10. Viper Man

Viper Man Banned

Today I'm listening to this...

[​IMG]

Pres is fantastic! This album and his "Commodore" sides are some of my all time favorite jazz. In fact, just about everything released on the Keynote label is incredible small group swing. Highly recommended!

11. Viper Man

Viper Man Banned

It's Keynote day! Now I'm listening to this one...

[​IMG]

Benny Carter is definitely underrated. He was one of the greats and not only was he an amazing alto saxophonist but he doubled on trumpet as well. He also was a gifted writer and arranger.

12. Didn't Carter sing, too, in the sessions with Hawkins/Reinhardt/Grapelli?

bk

13. Viper Man

Viper Man Banned

Yes! Good call, Baron. I believe you are correct. I think I have those sessions somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them up...

14. Mr.Stevenson

Mr.Stevenson New in Town

Stan Getz

15. Viper Man

Viper Man Banned

My fault...

OK, I thought I had this session but I don't. This is the disc I was thinking of and it does have Benny Carter with Django & Stephane but no vocals...

[​IMG]

However, The sides with Rex Stewart are classic and the Coleman Hawkins stuff is great as usual.

16. Viper Man

Viper Man Banned

This thread isn't seeing much action, huh? Lately I have been listening to "Genius of the Electric Guitar" the 4 disc Charlie Christian box set that Columbia released a few years ago. Really fantastic small group swing and I highly recommend it, especially if you're new to Charlie or BG's smaller groups. There are plenty of classic sides in this collection and besides Christian's consistently excellent work, there are some great solos by Lester Young, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Cootie Williams, and more giants of the golden age of jazz.

[​IMG]

17. Viper Man

Viper Man Banned

Hi-Fi Salute to Bunny

Today I was enjoying some Mainstream Jazz, Ruby Braff's 1957 tribute to Bunny Berigan. It is most excellent and highly recommended. Pee Wee Russell is great on this one! They don't make 'em like this anymore!

[​IMG]

18. Viper Man

Viper Man Banned

More Mainstream

Today I'm sticking with the Mainstream motif. I am listening to Buck Clayton's Jam Sessions for Columbia....

[​IMG]

19. Viper Man

Viper Man Banned

I am still on my Mainstream kick. Today has been "Ben & Sweets" day! lol
    First I listened to this classic...

[​IMG]

Followed by this one...

[​IMG]

And capped it off with this...

[​IMG]

A veritable trifecta of classic small group swing.

20. Nathan Dodge

Nathan Dodge One Too Many

After many years away, I've enjoyed rediscovering the 1965-68 Miles Davis Quintet. Particularly E.S.P.. Best tune? "Agitation."

[​IMG]