Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your favourite Jazz

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
Jazz is such a gigantic category that it's hard for me to pick favorites. Styles changed so dramatically, and there are so many amazing artists. I find, though, that I keep coming back to the same old stand-bys time and time again. I love the previously mentioned Quintet consisting of Diz, Bird, Mingus, Bud, and Max. Fantastic album there, made all the better by the fact they never played as a group before or since. My two other favorite albums are Benny Goodman Live at Carnegie in '38 and Duke Ellington at the Newport Jazz Festival in '56. Columbia reissued the album a few years ago with the entire real concert finally, as previous issues had a fake concert made in the studio to compensate for supposedly lost or mixed-up tapes. Thank God that wasn't the case, or we'd have missed out on so much great music.

SGB

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:
Louie Bellson is my all time favorite drummer. Watching his technique, finessse and shear joy of playing never fails to put a smile on my face.The man was amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBQWaCLlK9Y

These are terrific too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-51KQfwIJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuaYRkuuQbU

Yes, Louie is my favorite drummer too. I've been to 4 of his drum clinics and have seen him live a bunch of times when I lived in CA, as he lived in the same town. I have a bunch of his cd's, an autographed drum head, and I got him to sign the original album cover of Ellington's "Take the A Train" album, which has "Skin Deep" on it. That drum solo is what got me playing the drums. He told me they had to record it in an auditorium because the sound was so big.
A real gentleman and great arranger too.

SGB

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Years ago I worked with an old, old guy, Dick Abels, who had been Louie's road manager. Dick had fulfilled that role for close to 60 years for various greats going back to Charlie Barnet and Isham Jones. He knew every big name in the music game and when I asked him about them, he mostly had the same story..."He was a drunk!" :D Barnet, though, was a "BIG drunk!!"

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hear ya SGB.It was the same for me. There are a lot of great drummers out there but he just seems to have been born to play the drums. I have a recording of Skin Deep that must be from the Sixies when he had his own band. The solo is quite long, I still get stirred when I hear it. The double bass at times sounds like pistons, it becomes hard to follow what he is doing ... Such great time he has, just increadable.

SGB

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:
I hear ya SGB.It was the same for me. There are a lot of great drummers out there but he just seems to have been born to play the drums. I have a recording of Skin Deep that must be from the Sixies when he had his own band. The solo is quite long, I still get stirred when I hear it. The double bass at times sounds like pistons, it becomes hard to follow what he is doing ... Such great time he has, just increadable.

The best drum solo I ever saw/heard was Louie about 10 years ago, it was very long but powerful, melodic and not one dull moment. He can make the drums sound like music, not just rhythms. I've seen Buddy Rich, Bonham, Moon, etc., and Louie is it for me.
His new wife is a hoot, she promotes the heck out of him at gigs and is a lot of fun to talk to. Louie is very humble, will answer any question, a true inspiration. Although at the last clinic I went to about 4-5 years ago, his age had caught up to him.

SGB

kools

Practically Family
If we're talking drummers now, Big Sid Catlett is the one for me. Such a gentle touch for such a big guy. He propels the beat in the groove, without overpowering the rest of the band, better than anyone I've heard.
bigsid2.jpg

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Any one into Cal Tjader? I've been listening to some of his Sixties work with Jonny Palmieri and Stan Getz. We was definitely very cool.

DOUGLAS said:
Any one into Cal Tjader? I've been listening to some of his Sixties work with Jonny Palmieri and Stan Getz. We was definitely very cool.
I have several Tjader CD's and his version of "Gimme Shelter" is superb. Don't forget a young percussionist got his start with Cal, that young man was Pancho Sanchez.

Lady Blue

Familiar Face
I love jazz and being in Chicago I get lots of great exposure to it.
Currently my favorite jazz musicians are Keith Jarrett (solo and Trio), Dave Holland (Quintet and Big Band), Kenny Wheeler and Bill Evans. I am also a fan of Miles Davis and Coltrane when I'm in the mood ;)
For vocals there are none better than Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald and Astrud Gilberto.
For any Jazz fan the must do is attending the Montreal Jazz Festival held in late June/early July. Such a wealth of fabulous musicians all in one place!

SGB

One of the Regulars
Stony said:
I've always liked Art Pepper.

My favorite sax man. I was lucky to know Marty Paich and he told me stories about Art. I never saw Art live, but my wife did in LA when she was 16, her music teacher snuck her into Dante's to hear him.
Amazing musician.

SGB

Thomas G

New in Town
Hi All,

My first post on this site, so apologies if this link has already been listed, but all fans of Jack Hylton should check out this site: http://www.petefaint.co.uk/jackhylton/music.htm

As well as providing background information on Jack Hylton, it has lots of RealAudio files of his songs, including many with great vocalists such as Sam Browne and Pat O'Malley. Perfect accompaniments to a cold cocktail on a Friday night!

Welcome, Thomas G.

just found my old "the Definitive Art Tatum" CD. A veritable treasure trove of Tin Pan Alley tunes getting Tatum'd. The final tune on the CD is Indiana with Tatum, someone called Everett Barksdale on guitar - clever enough to play his own style and avoid trying it on with Tatum - and Slam Stewart on bass. Oh my, what a wonderful band. Truly excellent. One of the few performances where anyone held their own with Tatum.

Someone else who's heard this rendition can attest to the absolute harmonic, rhythmic and logical perfection Tatum's second set of choruses after Slam Stewart's solo. This could be Jazz (capital J. there can be no other after this performance). I'm in heaven. It's been on repeat for a good half hour.

bk

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Duke Ellignton has been and continues to be my favorite musician and composer. If I could only listen to one person's music for the rest of my life, it would be his. "Take the A Train" is of course a standard. I also love the Shakespeare suite, especially "Such Sweet Thunder."

The Carnegie Hall performance of "Sing, Sing, Sing" is another of my favorites, along with "Take Five," and "Blue Rondo ala Turk" from Brubeck.

When I just want to have fun or need a real musical boost, Cab Calloway goes in the player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112