Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your favourite Jazz

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
ANY Duke Ellington is worth listening to as is anything by Louis Armstrong. If you want to find a good selection of our kinda music check out this website:

www.worldsrecords.com.

They have stuff from Isham Jones, Jack Teagarden, Connie Boswell, Gus Arnheim and his Orchestra (?).

Ciao.

BRS

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Harp - Not to be too pedantic, but it was Count Basie who famously said "One more time - once" (and "- twice"), not Duke Ellington. It's in his famous mid-50s recording of "April in Paris" with the multiple endings...

Which isn't to say that that Duke wasn't a master of verbal wit too. Does anybody know this bit from the 1958 "Jazz at the Plaza" recording?:

"To be cool, snap your finger on the beat. To be even cooler, touch your left earlobe on the afterbeat... By the routining of the finger-snapping and touching of the earlobe, one can be as cool as one wishes to be."

If Duke says it, it MUST be true!

And I have to concur: virtually ANYTHING by Ellington and Armstrong - and Basie - is absolutely worth listening to!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I love Cab Calloway - I'm a little obsessed with 'St James Infirmary Blues' at the moment, and I also love what I call Jack Kerouac jazz, namely: Thelonious Monk, Dizzie Gillespie and Charlie Parker.

kools

Practically Family
Here's what has been on the turntable lately, mostly jump:

Little Willie Littlefield
Gene Phillips
Hadda Brooks (I love her!)
Roy Milton
The Brown Dots
The Four Vagabonds
Delta Rhythm Boys
Johnny Guarnieri
Jack McDuff
Helen Humes
Louis Jordan
B000026EYU.01_SCMZZZZZZZ_V41388823_.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Those mentioning Isham Jones, please check out the recent release on the UK label Hep, featuring his swing styled performances from the 1934-36 era. I wrote the notes and lent one original 78, too.

I will check that out!
I love Isham Jones! Thanks for posting :)

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Verve and Blue Note

If I had to pick an absolute favorite, if would be "Lady Day." Even if I weren't from Baltimore :) I'd say she embodied the spirit of it like no one else -- and that voice. There's nothing like it. They say the audience wept when she sang "Body and Soul" in NYC for the first time.

Carmen McCrae, Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald - Monk, Davis, Parker, Coltrane, Krupa and Young are also favorites.

Verve records has released a series of interesting remixes of classic covers with different beats in the last few years.

I've always loved "Red Hot Jazz" and would love to hear if anyone else listens to early jazz and whom they're listening to and where they're picking it up on the airwaves.

Nice to see the thread resurrected once again. My most successful thread, i think (outside observation bar pre-politico banning).

Someone left "Gerry Mulligan meets Johnny Hodges" at my apartment last week. It's been pretty much in constant rotation since. As people probably already know, Mulligan did a series of "Mulligan meets . . ." albums with the likes of Monk, ben Webster and Hodges in which Mulligan proved himself to be more than the "West Coast Cool" jazz man that he was portrayed as. My Mulligan Meets Monk album has mysteriously gone missing, but i can highly recommend it, too. My next adventure into the world of Mulligan will be the Ben Webster collabration, i think.

A teaser. Close to his death (well, not really, but he's getting on here), Big Ben was still blowin' as strong as ever!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwEMSMlFLf4

bk

kools

Practically Family
Wow! Mulligan is usually a bit too modern for my flavor...but he is quite tasty here. Big Ben always has something to say.

Gerry Mulligan could swing with the best of 'em. I think i posted earlier in this thread about a one-off 50s TV show called "The Sound of Jazz" which is no available on DVD. Mulligan is in the Basie big band part and one small group session with Webster, Hawkins, Young, Holiday, Dickie Wells, and a host of the other greats from the golden era. He is the only "modern" musician who played with the big guys (except an excellent collaboration between PeeWee Russell and Jimmy Giufre)

Be prepared to cry at the pain of watching Lester in this condition. Again, Mulligan's solo is fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNSp7MaADM

bk

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well right now I cant get enough of Jazz composer Terrance Blanchard. He does a lot of the sores to Spike Lee's films after Spike's dad stopped doing them. Most recent, When the Leeves Broke, and The Inside Man.

LD

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BK,I suppose the most well known would be Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman,
Harry James and Tommy Dorsey. He was also married to Pearl Bailey.

poetman

A-List Customer
Wow, where to start.

Vocals: Billie Holiday, Sarah VAughn, Anita O'day, Dakota Staton, Johnny Hartman, Joe Williams, Billy Eckstine
Bands: Okay, so there are the classics we all know about, right? (50's-early 60's; I'm not fond of the avant-garde that hit later) Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Art Blakey, Lester Young, Teddy Wilson, Ben Webster, Tommmy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Gene Krupa, Sonny Rollins, Donald Byrd, Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, Pepper Adams, Lou Donaldson, Grant Green, Johnny Griffin, Shelly Manne, Ray Brown, Hank Mobley (A.K.A the Hard Bop Lester Young) and so many more!

How about some all star quintets. These selections satisfy me for this week:

swing: Ray Brown, Sweets Edison, Gene Krupa, Teddy Wilson, Lester Young (With guest appearances by Lady Day, Joe Williams, Billy Eckstine, and Sassy) (And Barney Kessel on a few tracks)

Bop: The "Live at Massey Hall" recording, although, those artists played better on other recordings, but that line up is tops. (Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Max Roach, Charlie Mingus, and Bud Powell! WOW!)

Hard Bop: Hank Mobley,Freddie Hubbard Sonny Clark, Paul Chambers, Art Blakey (Hmmm, where have I seen this line-up before?)

Man, I love Jazz!

kools

Practically Family
When I got up this morning, my "favorite" artist was Art Tatum. Then it was Charlie Christian for a few hours. Tonight I've been listening to Slam Stewart's late '40s combos...I think he is my favorite. Maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24