Share your favourite Jazz

Discussion in 'Radio' started by Baron Kurtz, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Well, quite a month will be June for Londinium.

Cecil Taylor, Ornette Coleman, Billy Cobham (not together) and Lincoln Centre Jazz Orchestra will be in town. I can't afford 'em all (Ornette alone is $75) and can't decide who to see . . . all are great.

bk

2. nightandthecity

nightandthecity Practically Family

This thread started with a small Django clip....at some stage I posted the full performance....and now, at last, Django's biographer Michael Dregni has YouTubed the full film short from which it comes. It was apparently made by British impressario Lew Grade as a promo for a Quintette UK tour in 1938 or 39.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTuhRFLSoao

The other guitarists are Django's brother Joseph and the ridiculously handsome "baro" Ferret...the bass player I'm not sure of. And if you think Baro looks like a gangster that's because he was.

3. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog A-List Customer

I've recently purchased two Canadian jazz CD's-
    jazz musician Tony Quarrington's 'One Bright Day'
    [​IMG]

and jazz vocalist Sara Latendresse self-titled first outing.
    [​IMG]

I heard them both at a jazz club in Vegas and was very impressed with their work and abilities as jazz artists.

Latendresse is a very smooth and sultry singer. Her version of the Bill Withers/Grover Washington Jr. classic, 'Just The Two Of Us' won me over immediatley.
    Quarrington's music is very light and breezy. Perfect music to relax to.

4. Thank you!

Great referral. First exposed this hot dance band to by Joe Monte's "Don't Wake Me, Let Me Dream" radio show (BTW, what business did Minnesota Public Radio have hijacking that Pasadena college station, nixing Joe as well as the widely loved "Santo Show!", giving us endless re-runs of Lake Wobegon instead? Diversity my fat behind. Shame on KCSN Northridge for axing Joe as well in their cultural revolution. Heard they had to refund listener sponsor's donations after that one).

Got to see the Duke once; he changed his tuxedo three times! Elegant.
    Some of the the boorish audience booed when an excellent male vocalist sang - Hey, Ivy Anderson just wasn't available!

[​IMG]

5. Rundquist

Rundquist A-List Customer

His collaboration was actually with Eddie Palmieri. Both records (El Sonido Nuevo & Bamboleate) are superb.

Tjader's greatest rhythm section (and band, come to think of it), had Mongo Santamaria on congas, Willie Bobo on timbales, Al Mckibbon on bass, and Vince Guaraldi on piano. The general consensus is that Bobo & Santamaria made the greatest latin jazz dynamic duo of a percussion section ever. They came directly from Tito Puente’s band. The sides that they cut with Tjader are generally considered to be his finest. Cheers

6. It's rare for a thread outside the OB to have such a theme as this running throughout and we keep circling back to it . . . I'm so glad this's finally been uploaded to YouTube.

Pierre Ferré (Pierre Baro Ferret) as he appears on this here pic (my apologies for the ridiculous name of the issuing company here . . . truly the terrible side of the 30s/40s), was apparently Django's equal in guitar improvisation . . . I'm on the cusp of buying a couple of CDs to make some kind of judgement along these lines.

[​IMG]

Thanks again to natc for bringing this full circle.

Is this sufficient dénoument? Should the thread end where it started.

bk

7. p.s. the bassist is almost certainly Tony Rovira. It's not Louis Vola (the guy in the video has too much hair!), and Rovira was the next most common bassist around the time this was made (looks like the mid-late 30s band).

On the making of the film, one wonders. Baro Ferret did not go on the '38 English tour (the other guitarists were Joseph R. and Ninine Vées)

bk

8. Alan Eardley

Alan Eardley One Too Many

Baron,

I believe you are correct. I think it is Rovira.

Alan

9. Funnily enough, Rovira didn't go on the English tour either. The bassist was Roger Grasset. As i understand it, the personality of Django and the often strained relationship between him and Grappelli made it a very difficult band to work in. Hence the rapid turnover of personnel.

bk

10. pgoat

pgoat One Too Many

great thread! There's TOO Much good stuff on FL!

I could probably eat up a lot of server space echoing a lot of favorites already listed; I'll say my special faves are Django, John McGlaughlin, Johnny Smith and Charlie Christian (as I play gtr), but also Lester Young, Miles and Monk.

If you are in the Bay area, be on the lookout for a guitarist named John Klopotowski. He probably doesn't gig that much these days, but worth a google or scan of local clubs. If he's playing, go - you're in for a treat.

11. cowboy76

cowboy76 Suspended

12. The thread's alive!

This week, i 'ave been mostly listenin' to Bud Powell at the Gyllene Cirkeln, volume 1 (1962). Great stuff. I'm limiting myself to one volume per month of these. Volume 2 is on the way - i owned a copy a while ago but it went missing, so now being replaced.

bk

13. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

In heavy rotation for me this week: Charlie Parker A Studio Chronicle 1940-1948 from a great UK record company JSP. Also listening to Modern Art by the Art Pepper Quartet which is vol 2 of his recordings from the late '50's on Aladdin Records. Haven't been able to find vol 1 yet, though.

Other recent plays have been Coleman Hawkins,Benny Carter,Stan Getz with the Oscar Peterson Trio,Bobby Keys (well,Bobby Keys isn't jazz per se-the Stones house sax man-but a fine player. Nothing like a brass section to give a little class to a bunch of scruffy rock 'n rollers!;) ).

Long live the thread!

14. pgoat

pgoat One Too Many

15. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

Imagine Frank Morgan and Art Pepper playing together in San Quentin. The only time anyone would want to go there (and then leave right after the concert,of course!). Thanks for the post.

16. pgoat

pgoat One Too Many

yeah, two rather sad stories but two very amazing musicians. Morgan also struck me as a very intelligent and decent guy in the interviews I've seen.

There was a documentary profile on Pepper that came out some time back, around the time he passed away (late 1980s?). I'd like to see that again.

17. pgoat

pgoat One Too Many

18. SamMarlowPI

SamMarlowPI One Too Many

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans, when thats where you left your heart...