Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your favourite Jazz

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Glad to see this thread resurrected ...

On one of my rare listenings to Duke Ellington, i heard (for the first time in a number of years) the original recording of Cottontail. Ben Webster! Such *almost* unbelievable force. How did the horn stand up to his onslaught?

bk
Baron - to mark the resurrection of this thread here's a link to the FULL version of the film you started it with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMLzK_w6ZeM&search=django

and here's one to Cottontail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HIXxbs2gE0&search=ellington cottontail

here's Big Ben again, looking the definition of cool...sounds pretty good too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UtSvkltyFI&search=ellington jam

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
nightandthecity said:
...and here's one to Cottontail...here's Big Ben again, looking the definition of cool...sounds pretty good too....
Ohhhh MAN, you've got Ellington videos from when Ben Webster was in the band?! Can't WAIT to get back to my home computer & watch tonight! :D Thanks man, you're all-reet.

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

nightandthecity said:
Baron - to mark the resurrection of this thread here's a link to the FULL version of the film you started it with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMLzK_w6ZeM&search=django

and here's one to Cottontail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HIXxbs2gE0&search=ellington cottontail

We come full circle ...

Can't wait to see 'em. This will act as my kick up the arse to get our IT guys in to download the adobe flash player so i can view things on YouTube.

I've seen part of the Cottontail vid on Ken Burns' Jazz.

bk

swinggal

One Too Many
20s, 30s and 40s jazz for me.

Count Basie, Rex Stewart, Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Andy Kirk, Chick Webb, Woody Herman, Roy Eldrige, Earl Hines, Lionel Hampton, Al Cooper, Lester Young, Sidney Bechet, Coleman Hawkins, Slim and Slam, Erskine Hawkins, Lucky Millinder, Dinah, Ella, Anita O'Day. I'm a lot more dance orientated in my listening, this is also because I am a swing DJ.

But I love a lot of blues and earlier stuff just for listening and relaxing to. I have 6000 + jazz tunes on my playlist as well as all my original 78s. Rex Stewart is my favourite for dancing right now. He played in Duke Ellingtons' band originally and man...when he plays blues...he just speaks...almost literally.

Fav tunes to dance to right now:

Jump through a Window - Roy Eldridge
Segue in C - Duke Ellington
Blackstick - Sidney Bechet
John Hardy's Wife - Rex Stewart

moustache

Practically Family
Coltrane,Davis,Ellington,Vaughn

I like a mixture from the classic jazz of the 1920's to 40's like Duke Ellington,Eubie Blake and Billie Holliday to the 1950's and early 60's such as Coltrane and Davis.After about 1965,i lose interest fast!!
Also really enjoy swing!! Go figure!

JD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Late '20s-early '30s hot dance for me -- there were some great bands during that era that are totally forgotten today except by 78rpm enthusiasts, the likes of Jean Goldkette, Roger Wolfe Kahn, Johnny Hamp, McKinney's Cotton Pickers, any group led by Harry Reser, all that sort of thing. I also like the Harlem bands of the early '30s -- not just Ellington and Calloway, but the more obscure outfits like Don Redman's, bands that were playing genuine swing when Benny Goodman was still an obscure sideman.

And I'll listen to anything Fats Waller ever recorded -- the small group stuff, the piano solos, his few big-band sides, even his pipe organ solos. He could make even the most ridiculous tunes come to life.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Late '20s-early '30s hot dance for me -- there were some great bands during that era that are totally forgotten today except by 78rpm enthusiasts, the likes of Jean Goldkette, Roger Wolfe Kahn, Johnny Hamp, McKinney's Cotton Pickers, any group led by Harry Reser, all that sort of thing.
You are right up my street, young lady...and say, tell me, what do you think of Isham Jones? Ted Weems? Gene Kardos? Or Joe Haymes? I wrote Joe's biography years ago...got the papers of a man who had died before he could finish it. He's always been one of my favorites.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Speaking about Jazz, I enjoy McKinney's Cotton Pickers alot! Also dig some Ben Polliack's stuff.. I mean hey, the big band greats came from his band! Also, Jack Hylton is on the top of the shelf! I love his work, he was tops in England and well, as he should be, he was really good!

I enjoy Paul Whiteman, Bing Crosby with the Rhythm Boys... also, BOSWELL SISTERS!!!!!!!!!!! Those three could really send me up town! Billie Holiday's early work... up to the 40's I guess, she had some great songs back in the 30's and early 40's like "You Go to My Head" "The Very Thought of You" and many others... great stuff.

My taste for Jazz is pretty early, but, I also enjoy Coleman Hawkins alot! Up to the late 40's. I'm also a Lester Young fan of the early to mid 40's... he had some good styles.

Another fun Harlem band is Chick Webb... that boy could really beat it out! Even beat Benny Goodman at the Savoy for the Battle of the Bands!

For my taste, I love pretty much all Jazz and swing recorded from the 20's to the late 40's... I love popular bands and not so popular bands... I love it all really. As for the 50's, I enjoy mostly Do-Wap and early Rock and Roll... Jazz got a little to obscure for me, the beauty of a melody is lost... I really do like Sam Butera and his work with Luis Prima! I've seen Sam Butera live three times! I was very blessed!

=WR=

max the cat

Familiar Face
late 20's early 30's

LizzieMaine said:
Late '20s-early '30s hot dance for me -- there were some great bands during that era that are totally forgotten today except by 78rpm enthusiasts, the likes of Jean Goldkette, Roger Wolfe Kahn, Johnny Hamp, McKinney's Cotton Pickers, any group led by Harry Reser, all that sort of thing. I also like the Harlem bands of the early '30s -- not just Ellington and Calloway, but the more obscure outfits like Don Redman's, bands that were playing genuine swing when Benny Goodman was still an obscure sideman.

And I'll listen to anything Fats Waller ever recorded -- the small group stuff, the piano solos, his few big-band sides, even his pipe organ solos. He could make even the most ridiculous tunes come to life.

ditto both Lizzie and Fletch- Dorsey I think basically took over Haymes's 35(?) band--Kardos had an amazing band-I dont know if much of anything has been written about him-superb innovative recording of "SAN" comes to mind. max

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
max the cat said:
Kardos had an amazing band-I dont know if much of anything has been written about him-
You pretty much need to have gotten a copy of the one double-LP set that was ever put out – this was about 1985. It included a booklet by a collector-researcher friend of mine that is the best source of info on Gene.

He was Hungarian and grew up in Yorkville, NYC, and used to pal around with Jimmy Cagney as a kid! He was a Broadway pit violinist until 1931, when he organized the big band out of the backup group for a vaudeville act he'd been touring with. He led it until 1940 (they made records till '38). Then he went back to Yorkville and played Hungarian music in a café, while working days in the post office.

Gene's main demand was that his musicians be crack sightreaders. That made them favorites of the record companies and the Broadway pluggers, who could drop off a new arrangement from the publishers and get results right away. San is just about the most amazing piece of work I've ever heard by a White orchestra of that era. Innovative - I don't know. The musicianship required to play that kind of stuff was so far ahead of the rest of the band business that, stylistically, it was a dead end.

max the cat

Familiar Face
gene kardos

Thanks for refresher course on Kardos- I remember the post office day gig story- have heard San 78 copy - some good improvisors on that band but reading ability would have been the key to studio work (and still is).

max

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I'll share some of mine.
Dance bands from the 20s - Jan Garber, Ted Weems, Isham Jones, Coon-Sanders, Abe Lyman...
From the 30s - Gus Arnheim,Adrian Rollini, Benny Goodman,Leo Reisman, The Dorsey Brothers...
And the Brithish Dance Bands - Jack Hylton, Billy Cotton, Nat Gonella, Carroll Gibbons...
This are a very few of my favorite ones. :D

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Bert Ambrose & His Orchestra-sure favorites of mine.
The best jazz artist though, in my view, is Annette Hanshaw.:eusa_clap :)

Mark Finn

New in Town
New to the forums and jumping in with both feet

I have just moved to Vernon, Texas, the home of Jack Teagarden, who was the best jazz trombonist in the history of the universe. He played and sang with just about everyone, from Benny Pollack to Paul Whiteman, from Benny Goodman to Louis Armstrong, and all points in between. He's kinda sidelined these days, but there is a number of CDs out and available that showcase his amazing range and talent. The guy invented slide positions that have never been duplicated. He was that cool. Watching him play a solo is like watching a magic trick; you have no idea how he does it. Really.

Of course, I like a lot of the big band stuff, as well as later Jazz artists, like Charles Mingus and Ornette Coleman and Cannonball Adderley. Style-wise, I prefer West Coast jazz to East Coast Jazz, though there are some exceptions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24