Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your own art here :)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
hargist said:
Nice work! I love spot color in photographs.
Thank you. It's actually red licorice and black. But, I did desaturate the black to remove any color cast (from the strobes) and spots of red licorice that fell onto it during shooting.

Lady Day said:
By George (er, Lee), that is some mighty attractive licorice. And I think black licorice tastes like yuck incarnate.

LD

Thank you, LD! Unfortunately it's sugarless, so although I like black licorice, it's not the best tasting I've had. (You don't want to know what happens a couple hours after eating a few too many pieces. :eek:) Your new art brings yet another smile to my face. Wonderful! I love it! :)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Are these ones safe, Mr. Bartender?

india100.jpg
[/IMG]

maewest100.jpg
[/IMG]

oklahomablur100.jpg
[/IMG]

hargist

One of the Regulars
Idledame said:
I too love your work, hargist. It reminds me of photographs I've seen in old books, that were apparently retouched or somehow enhanced when engraved or colored? I am appalled by some of the photos that are being sold as art these days, with all the colors super bright and unnatural looking. Most are simply horrid--a result of technical talent and very little artistic talent (or restraint). Your exquisite taste combined with the technique you use is just wonderful. Are they for sale anywhere? I too spent many years in darkrooms, dodging and burning, etc. but I'm totally unfamiliar with all the new-fangled techniques. There are so many now! How long does this technique usually take?

Thank you very much for your generous comments, Idledame. I do sell my work. In fact, I was just offered a gallery show here in Los Angeles, so I'm in the process of getting that together.

To answer your question on how long the process takes, it all depends on the photograph. It could take as little as a half hour or as long as several days. It all depends on what I think the photo requires. Sometimes I can be very picky while other times a photo does what it needs to do without too much input from me.

decodoll

Practically Family
Wow! There is so much amazing artwork in here. I love your self portrait as a Victorian, Lady Day. I work in photoshop creating virtual clothing for Second Life avatars. Retro is actually quite popular in SL. This is some of my work:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Decodoll! :)
I never would-a-thunk you could make a living designing vertual clothing! HA! The clothes look great!

Eyemo! Its Miss Sis! That photo is fantastic.

Here is my current work in progress, as I return to my illustration roots.

'The Devil Went Down to Georgia'

devil-georgiasml.jpg

I think Im going to paint it digitally, havent decided. The original drawing is larger than I normally work (18X24") but the scale was determined by my first sketch of Johnny's face.

The background will be simple, trees and brush. A bird or two looking at what the heck fire is going on. It will be fun.

LD

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
pennyandnickincarsml.jpg

Finally got around to painting it.

LD

This one provoked an audible laugh when I saw it. Excellent work, Lady Day! It is such a fun image! I love it!

"The Devil Went Down to Georgia"! One of my favorite country music songs! A wonderful illustration! I can't wait to see it finished. :)

Decobelle. Wonderful work! I love that orange dress. Almost makes me wish I was a woman so that I could wear something like that. . . . ALmost. lol

Eyemo. That os a great photograph! The lighting, colors, emotion and . . . well, everything works! I love that heart-shaped light behind her.

Great work, everyone!
Lee

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Some of these might be repetitive, but I've finally gotten around to digitally scanning my negatives, so I might as well post them! I hope the size doesn't offend!

2960953572_4ea401b2a5_o.jpg

2960912934_d41b6d552c_o.jpg

2960855880_8ff29eb72d_o.jpg

2946159552_f107d0e6da_o.jpg

2945805261_d7e0fdb873_o.jpg

The screen of the lap top I've been editing these on hasn't been calibrated, so I don't know if the colors are appearing the way I want them to. But just so you know how they are supposed to look, I usually use a muted, sometimes Stephen Shore-esque palette and have a tendency to print slightly yellow in bright light. So visualize!!!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Some of my most recent photographic art: I went to the Moorpark, CA., Civil War Re-eneactment this past Saturday. A few photos below and a link to the gallery.

Saber-DSC_9622.jpg

Officers-at-War-DSC_9719.jpg

Aftermath-DSC_9726.jpg

Gallery

And a little something abstract that I did with the point-and-shoot:

Pipes-and-Shadows-DSCN3004.jpg

Thank you for viewing,
Lee

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
in my art 1 class my freshman year in highschool i drew the most kick butt stippled '72 camaro in the world...and then i gave it to my girlfriend who went in the navy after we graduated...afraid i'll never see it again...wish i could show y'all...:eusa_doh:

i'm dead serious...it was really really cool...when we had the class critique everyone was amazed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran