Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD140609.jpg

This morning:

Bull Mastiff (NEW head) w. Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp (that is one smooth and forgiving blade!)
Omega 10098 prof. boar
Norpro dip chiller scuttle
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Unscented Thayer's Witch Hazel
William's Ice Blue (Euro. Aqua Velva clone)

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
During the summertime there is a car-trunk sale the two first weekends of each month here in Horsens. This year my girlfriend and I have been going there almost every time, first time I found an alu handle Brit. Tech, for D.Kr. 30m not a great deal, but I bought it - today our persistence paid off:

Gillette_OldType_SingleRing_InBo-3.jpg

I was going through a big box containing at lot of small boxes (always check out the small boxes :)) when my eye caught this. It looked rather familiar

Gillette_OldType_SingleRing_InBo-2.jpg

Upon opening the box I saw this; a Gillette single-ring i nice condition, the plating on the handle is nearly gone, but on the head and knob it is intact and the teeth are all perfectly straight. The box had some rust that I polished off, the razor did not need to be polished

Gillette_OldType_SingleRing_InBo-1.jpg

Gillette_OldType_SingleRing_InBox_0.jpg

I have a terrible poker-face so I always wear sunglasses at flea-markets, as most sellers will try to gather how much you want a thing by looking you in the eyes, thus setting the price after that. The seller gave the box a quick look, then he looked briefly at me, looked back at the razor, and then said: "Will you give me D.Kr. 30 for it?" Smilingly I paid him and went off feeling rather much like a thief in the night.

D.Kr. 30 is $ 5.50 :D

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
That brush is very nice. Who is the maker?

What do you think about the Arlington soap? I have been considering it for a while.

Regards.

Jakob

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I don't know who made the brush.I bought it on ebay.The Arlington has a fresh woodsy smell,nice....but not very slick,my razor skips a little.I mixed a sqiggle of Kiss my Face moisture shave with it and it made it much richer.It seems like I have to do that with most of my soaps.I'm thinking the soft silvertip brush is not whipping up a good lather with soaps.I don't have that problem with creams.

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD150609.jpg

This morning:

Merkur HD 34C w. Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp (2)
Blindes Arbejde bubinga handle pure badger
Tabac SS
Proraso AS

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD160609.jpg

This morning:

Gillette NEW w. Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp (3)
Bob's Razorworks Bolivian rosewood finest badger
Indian Old Spice SC
Ivy Club (Old) Spice

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
I got my package from Golden Nib yesterday. Here are the results:

Laminated_bone_badger_brush_01_03.jpg

This laminated bone handle came with a lousy knot, now it has been replaced with a 19 mm. Chinese silvertip.

Vintage_Butterscotch_Badger_01_02.jpg

A vintage butterscotch handeled brush that I picked up at a fleamarket, the handle has been polished and the knot replaced with a 21 mm UK super badger.

The initial plan was actually for the super badger to go in the bone handle and the silvertip to go in the butterscotch handle, but the other way around just looked better.

I am looking very much forward to giving these two a spin.

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Yep. I removed the old knots and drilled out the handles with a dremel, polished the butterscotch handle and glued in the new knots with two-component industrial grade epoxy.

SOTD170609.jpg

This morning:

Swedish Matador De-Luxe w. Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp
Laminated bone handle silvertip
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Proraso AS

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
It is good fun, you should do that.

SOTD180609.jpg

This morning:

Chinese Flying Eagle Brand Tech clone w. Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp (2)
Restored butterscotch super badger
Tabac SS
Italian Floïd Genuine AS

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD180609a.jpg

This evening - second shave, before going out to share a bottle of vintage port with a good old friend:

GEM 1912, ornate handle w. GEM Personna (3)
Restored butterscotch super badger
Indian Palmolive Refreshing Lemon
William's Ice Blue (Euro. Aqua Velva clone)

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD200609.jpg

This morning:

Merkur Progress w. Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp (3)
Laminated bone handle silvertip
White Proraso SS
William's Ice Blue AS (Euro. Aqua Velva clone)

Regards.

Jakob

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Jeep...

...I do believe you have the worst case of razor, soap, brush, and aftershave acquisition disorder I've ever seen.

I've started with a DE before the craze a few years ago. My motivation was a better shave.

I'm big on being able to buy things locally, and this limits what I can find. Typically I use the regular ASR blades from WalMart and the Bigelow branded Proraso from a mall store my wife goes to.

Recently we've gotten a new Fresh Market, and they stock Kiss My Face in the pump bottle. I'd have to say it does a rather good job. When I pair it with my Mecur slant I get a very smooth result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara