Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream
Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush (face lather)
Dorco Blade
Gillette Pocket Edition OLD w/floral handle, 1915
Nivea After Shave Balm
Clubman Bay Rum

Michaelshane

One Too Many
P1040892.jpg
[/IMG]

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Late in the day shave today:
Superadjustable
fresh Derby
Art of Shaving Best Badger
C&E Nomad Shave Cream
Earthscience for Men Aftershave Soother
C&E Nomad Aftershave Balm
C&E Nomad Cologne

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD070709.jpg

Merkur Classic 33C w. Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (1)
Shavemac 23 mm silvertip
Speick SS
Unscented Thayer's Witch Hazel
Speick AS

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Nice collection Michaelshane :eusa_clap

SOTD080709.jpg

This morning:

Merkur Classic 33C w. Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (2)
Shavemac 23 mm silvertip
Tabac SS
Anthony Razor Burn Repair
Piratlon Classic AS

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD110709.jpg

This morning:

Brit. Gillette NEW w. Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (1)
Semogue boar
Williams Mug Soap in Old Spice Mug
Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Anthony Ingrown Hair Treatment

Regards.

Jakob

Djupis

One of the Regulars
I finally got to shave after not having shaved for almost a week. It felt great!
Lathered up quite a large amount of cream and took 4 WTG passes being careful not too irritate the skin. Feels great to be smooth again :D

My TOBS Lavender is getting empty soon, which luckily coordinates with a beginning AD which I have managed to suppress, at least for now. Thinking about buying some Musgo.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I'm all about efficiency...

I scrub my face in the shower with St. Ives Apricot scrub followed by Biore foaming cleanser. That gets me ready for my shave with:

Gillette Mach 3
Clinique Cream Shave
(with the remainder wiped off with a hot, wet towel)
Clinique Post-Shave Healer

Despite my routine perfected over the years, I still hate shaving, so I only do it every other day or so.

JEEP

Practically Family
JoeNiblick said:
I scrub my face in the shower with St. Ives Apricot scrub followed by Biore foaming cleanser. That gets me ready for my shave with:

Gillette Mach 3
Clinique Cream Shave
(with the remainder wiped off with a hot, wet towel)
Clinique Post-Shave Healer

Despite my routine perfected over the years, I still hate shaving, so I only do it every other day or so.

You should really try a DE, brush + soap/cream and a proper aftershave. It may change shaving into something enjoyable for you.

Regards.

Jakob

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Aaiieee! There's blood everywhere! (First DE shave.)

Well, not really but I think that’s what my wife expected. :eek: Although I did have a few small nicks I’ve had worse using a Mach3. So here’s how my first DE shave went:

(I posted this on The Shave Den today; thought I'd go ahead and post it here as well. :D )

The tools:

Vintage Ever-Ready badger brush, my first time using it or any badger brush. Though it was sold as unused I decided that it was at the very least put into the box wet at some time as the box is stained at one end. The brush itself was immaculate, with the exception of hard residue from a price sticker on the handle.

Shave cup from the VHD kit. I bought the kit specifically for that cup as it seemed a very nice size and at $8 for the kit I couldn’t go wrong.

C.O. Bigelow shave cream, green tube. I’ve been using it for a while in between the two different VHD soaps.

Gillette Tech razor. It came in it’s original box, looked unused, but when I took it apart to put in the blade I saw some residue on the inside. I’m shocked, shocked I tell you! But I’ll use it anyway.

Personna Platinum Chrome blade from Wal-Mart.

C.O. Bigelow after shave balm, green bottle.

First thing I did was review Mantic’s video on single edge shaving.

I then started out with a hot shower. I’m firmly of the opinion that two things man needs to be truly civilized are hot showers and air conditioning, so I really enjoy my hot shower in the morning. Afterwards I ran hot water in the sink, getting the brush wet. As warned in the brush’s instructions some loose hairs came out. Those were described as short hairs that didn’t get firmly implanted in the rubber during manufacture. I shook out some water, put a dab of cream in the bottom of the cup, and started working on my lather.

First thought—compared to my boar brush this thing is very soft, doesn’t maintain a shape. Second thought—did I leave the brush too wet? Kept working at it. After about a minute I thought th lather looked pretty good.

Started applying the lather to my face. Again, not used to the brush as it spread itself out over my face due to the soft bristles. I tried various methods and did get a good layer of lather, but in the end I know that using a “painting” motion with this brush just won’t work.

Next came trying to come up with a proper angle to hold the razor. I’m also having to get used to the shorter handle. I’d been working at using a light touch with the Mach3, so didn’t do too bad in that department. At least, I don’t think so. I got to where I could hear the blade cutting most of the time.

I made three passes, as I have been doing for the past year or so with the Mach3. First pass is North to South (or top to bottom of my face), second South to North (bottom to top) then from left to right on the left side of my face (outside to inside center) and from right to left on the right side.

A warm rinse, a section under my right jaw line that needed a touch-up and a cold rinse followed by the shaving balm.

Results: a few minor nicks, a bit of razor burn (silly me, I thought that doing multiple passes with the Mach3 for a year would have prepared my face for the DE) but a much better shave then I really expected for a first time. It's not BBS as I had been known to get with the Mach3 using the same technique, but pretty good.

And that's it. I have a photo of the gear but my camera's USB cable has pulled a disappearing act and I'm getting bugged to take the granddaughters to lunch and a movie so I'll post it later.

Cheers,
Tom

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Nicely Done Tom!

As Mantic staes, be sure to go over an area only once per pass, Facial Par I think he calls it. That burn is probably from a little too agressive angle, but it may have a little to do with the onset of the DE acclimatization that your face will undergo.
Try to shake out the brush x amount of times consistantly. This way you can start to set a benchmark on how many shakes gives you the best lather result. I use 5 shake son my brush to get the perfect lather, YMMV of course, as I don't have an Eveready.

Well done! :eusa_clap

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD120709.jpg

This morning, before spending a whole day of brewing beer with a friend:

Bull Mastiff (NEW head) w. Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (2)
Bob's Razor Works finest badger
Tabac SS
Tabac AS

Regards.

Jakob

DodgeDeluxe

New in Town
SOTD2.jpg

My morning routine, nothing fancy here, but I truly enjoy it;
5/8 Dovo Special or my 5/8 Dovo Pearlex.
Col. Conk Boar/Badger brush.
Col. Conk Lime Shave Soap.
Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by Aqua Velva Ice Blue.

Dan

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD140709.jpg

This morning:

Brit. Gillette Tech w. Gillette 7 O'Clock (yellow)
23 mm Shavemac silvertip
Cella SS
Aqua Velva AS

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD140709a.jpg

This evening, second shave of the day:

Brit. Gillette NEW w. Derby Extra (1)
Restored butterscotch super badger
Valobra SS - fantastic lather, but the scent is way too feminine and lingers way too long. It made my GF's perfume allergy run amok
Proraso AS

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
SOTD150709.jpg

This morning:

Merkur Classic 33C w. Derby Extra (2)
Semogue boar
Mitchell's Wool Fat SS
Piratlon Classic AS (the scent reminds me of G&T)

Regards.

Jakob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters