Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shave of the Day

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Dulouz said:
Thursday:

25124_113255372041112_100000699499389_120511_1567090_n.jpg

Vulfix 247 pure badger
Brian Solomon Cherry Almond SC (experimental test batch)
Gillette Super Adjustable
Personna (day2)
Witch Hazel
Florida Water

Brian's shaving cream lathered well in a bowl. Better than Bigelow, closer to AOS (those are the only two creams I've tried so far). Cushiony and slick. Took me a few rinses to get it off completely. The smell is good. Very cherry, a little almond. Cherry is not really my thing, but my wife really liked it.

Coupled with the Super Adjustable, I had a nice shave and experience this morning.

**Brian, I am going to try a few different lathering techniques and try to get you some fairly detailed evaluation data when I'm done. Thanks again for the sample (and what a generous amount)!

Thanks for the review! I really wanted to give people big samples so they could use it a while. Sometime, when I used to order a lot of shaving stuff online, I'd get some samples. But the samples were so small, I could get only one shave out of it.

This way, with a large sample, I figure people can try it (and hopefully enjoy it) with different razors, brushes, and techniques.

I made it a little more cherry than almond because my wife was making me a cherry pie when I was home on leave one time. It was so good to have it there with some vanilla ice cream, that the memory just stuck with me. So, in a weird way, the scent is an homage to my wife. :eek:

Thanks again for being a volunteer!!!
SlyGi (Brian)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Best Smell

SlyGI said:
vanilla ice cream, that the memory just stuck with me. So, in a weird way, the scent is an homage to my wife.
SlyGi (Brian)
Interesting you should mention Vanilla. There have been a few studies done by cologne manufacturers on what sent women enjoy the most, Vanilla wins hands down! So much for my High Karate! Seriously, I have sean several home made after shave mixes with Vanilla, I may have to try my hand at one.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Mmmmm Vanilla

I don't have any picks, but this is what I shaved with this morning:

a Merkur 38 (I believe that's the name, the standard, "classic," one)
Savile Row 3824 Brush
Cherry Almond shaving cream
And Proasso AS splash (ohhhhh menthol :D )

:eek:fftopic:
Ok, thanks to stearman, I'm going to grab a bowl of vanilla ice cream after I type this (and it's 7:44 AM CST). Yikes!

edit for spelling.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Can you tell me anything about this razor?

After having my first hot lather straight razor shave last week in Chelsea at Uriel's I'm hooked. Even though he used one of the faux razors with the disposable blade the experience and quality of the shave was an epiphany.

Yesterday, just by chance, I purchased a straight razor in a NY flea market in the hope that it is acceptable to learn on and use as my first straight razor. I'm told it's old but I was able to find reference material(straightrazorplace) indicating that it could be as new as 1991. I'm trying to date it and get an idea of it's history. Can anyone help out? Is this an acceptable style/shape for personal use?

The details:

entire razor folded - 6 1/4"
entire razor open - 9 3/4"
entire blade - 5 1/2"
ground/edged area - 2 3/4"
height of blade - 5/8"
Scales - black Bakelite or plastic...not sure

d947b082.jpg

printing on blade side 2:
George Wostenholm & Son
Washington Works
Sheffield - England
"U" (near hinge point

Side 1: pipe logo
8b7d7441.jpg

d4c7133a.jpg

e6c6f32f.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
That's an excellent razor capable of giving a superb shave when properly honed. Almost certainly, it is not now "shave ready," so you'll do yourself a disservice by trying to shave with it now. I'd suggest you spend some time learning about shaving with a straight at http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/, then send your razor to a "honemeister," several of whom are members at SRP.

Incidentally, if you were happy with the shave you got from a disposable-type straight razor, you'll (eventually) be thrilled with the shave you'll get from that Wostenholm when you've had it properly honed and learned to use it.

SteveAS

Practically Family
To stay on topic, yesterday's shave was with a C-Mon Filarmonica 5/8" "Doble Temple" straight razor. Lubrication was courtesy of George F Trumper's coconut oil shaving cream, whipped by by a Shavemac silvertip badger brush. I finished up with an alum block rub and a splash of Dominica bay rum aftershave.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
SteveAS said:
That's an excellent razor capable of giving a superb shave when properly honed. Almost certainly, it is not now "shave ready," so you'll do yourself a disservice by trying to shave with it now. I'd suggest you spend some time learning about shaving with a straight at http://straightrazorplace.com/forums/, then send your razor to a "honemeister," several of whom are members at SRP.

Incidentally, if you were happy with the shave you got from a disposable-type straight razor, you'll (eventually) be thrilled with the shave you'll get from that Wostenholm when you've had it properly honed and learned to use it.

Thanks Steve, I'll definitely take your advice and look for a "honemeister" to bring the blade up to spec.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Today's shave...

Software:

Hot water.
Proraso shaving-soap.

Hardware:

Hot, wet towel.
Windsor badger-hair shaving-brush.
Simple three-piece DE razor.
NOS 'THIN' Gilette DE blade.

Felt good. Very good :)

Chet

New in Town
Pre pre-shave: hot shower, Cetaphil skin cleanser
Pre-shave: few drops of grape seed oil massaged into whiskers
Shave: Clubman badger brush, Proraso shaving soap, Merkur model 38 Barber Pole with Feather Hi-Stainless blade
Post-shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera, TOBS Mr. Taylor AS
100_2208.jpg

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
No shave this morning. I don't really know why. I replaced the blades in all three of my razors. Re-did the line up last night. It was going to be Mitchell's Wool Fat and Aqua Velva Musk this morning of course with the alum bar but I just passed on the shave. I'll certainly shave tomorrow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran