Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Collar Cardigans

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Some more

47.jpg

20.jpg

52.jpg

55.jpg

09.jpg

15.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great Dav. I'm just not thinking I can pull one off. Always wanted one, figured I'd never like the way I looked in one. You did well though. Thanks for including The Arch™ lol

mattfink

Practically Family
I've got one in black and it's spectacular....you should email them to find out if they have stock. It must weigh over 4 pounds.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I LOVE shawl collar cardigans. I loved them back when the style wasn't the "in" thing. (I don't follow style trends at all, I'm just saying that in recent years it was considered passe' by many in "mainstream" fashion) It appears that in the last couple of years the style is coming back mainstream. Places such as Eddie Bauer, J Crew, Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, Orvis, Old Navy, etc are carrying them this year. I must say that the modern take on the sweater is not something that I like very much. Many Shawl Collar sweaters sold today are thin cut, thin material, have a small collar to match the small lapel drape, and do not look all that vintage. However, there are a few exceptions. My idea of a shawl collar sweater is a heavy knit wool sweater, with a full shawl collar, leather buttons, two small buttons on top by the collar, and it has to be long enough to cover your butt or part of it anyway. One thing I hate about modern shawl collar sweaters is how short they are. Many of the modern versions stop at the belt line or just below that. If you look at the old advertisements from the early part of the 20th century, many (not all) of the sweaters are longer and look more like a jacket than a sweater that would go under a jacket. One company that does an excellent job of re-creating this vintage type Shall collar sweater is Ralph Lauren. I do NOT like that he makes most of his stuff in China now, but I do like that he uses many vintage patterns for sweaters, coats, etc. He doesn't offer these vintage cut shawl collars every year, but every so often he has them in his collection. I bought one off of ebay not too long ago and I absolutely love it. Its a long sweater, heavy wool, correct buttons, correct button placement, and perfect pocket placement.

Here's the original auction listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RALPH-LAUREN-POLO-L-HEAVY-COTTON-SWEATER-CARDIGAN-W-SHAWL-COLLAR-BRN-BUTTONS-/120989731711?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=6Ix4ja9mWlpGYdPlclnkR0dpsm4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Its a really nice blue cable knit. The original auction pictures are kind of dark.

KGrHqVq0Eog2RDkBQiFRjn1Q60_12.jpg

KGrHqRhgFys5dsBQiE3RVQ60_12.jpg

Here's a picture of me wearing the sweater. I'm sitting, but I will try to take a picture of me standing in the sweater.

meinaflatcap.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I just got a very nice one from Old Navy online. It's a wool/poly blend that looks great and fits comfortably over a long sleeved dress-style shirt. It is on the thin side, but looks great. And it was only $35, a bargain considering how good it looks and feels. I got the color 'coffee grounds,' which is a medium brown.

mens-wool-blend-shawl-cardigans-coffee-grounds.jpg

My Large runs true to size.

jlanderson

One of the Regulars

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Last weak I wrote Blacksheep just to find out if the make their shawl cardi in any other color and I had no answer :( They could say hello at least, these nice people. [huh]

JanSolo

Practically Family
Last weak I wrote Blacksheep just to find out if the make their shawl cardi in any other color and I had no answer They could say hello at least, these nice people.

Just give them a ring. They are really easy to talk to. Some companies can be better reached over the phone! It's a very small company after all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21