Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Collar Cardigans

clarinetplayer

Familiar Face
Loving this chunky shawl cardigan from Black Sheep Ltd. It is incredibly soft. And very warm.

a1-3-2.jpg

a2-4-2.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Great cardi! I like the lighter shade a lot. If you find the wool too oily or the smell reminds you of a barn full of sheep give the it a handwash with hair shampoo. Get the water out by gently pressing the cardigan while wrapped in a big towel or use a spin dryer. Then reshape it and let it air dry while lying flat on two towels.
I've washed mine several times and it doesn't affect the garment AT ALL. Enjoy yours!

clarinetplayer

Familiar Face
Great cardi! I like the lighter shade a lot. If you find the wool too oily or the smell reminds you of a barn full of sheep give the it a handwash with hair shampoo. Get the water out by gently pressing the cardigan while wrapped in a big towel or use a spin dryer. Then reshape it and let it air dry while lying flat on two towels.
I've washed mine several times and it doesn't affect the garment AT ALL. Enjoy yours!

This is good advice. Many thanks!

"...smell reminds you of a barn full of sheep..." :)

clarinetplayer

Familiar Face

This is good advice. Many thanks!

As for the color, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I am quite pleased with the light shade. A very natural color to go with the natural smell:

"...smell reminds you of a barn full of sheep..." :)

Article on how to wash wool;

http://www.hjsstudio.com/wash.html

Worked on my Black Sheep cardi.
The more you "manipulate" the sweater, the rougher/scratchier the fibers will become.
You want to just set it in the water, very gently "stir" it, let it soak, and let it air dry. It can take a day or so to completely dry.
What detergent you use is very important also. The kind of simple dish washing detergent as recc. by the article worked great.

First time I washed mine, it removed 90% of the barnyard smell. The water was brown with debris.
Another wash removed the last 10%.

(Why don't they wash the wool prior to knitting it into the sweater?? )

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Familiar Face
Article on how to wash wool;

http://www.hjsstudio.com/wash.htmln
Worked on my Black Sheep cardi.
The more you "manipulate" the sweater, the rougher/scratchier the fibers will become.
You want to just set it in the water, very gently "stir" it, let it soak, and let it air dry. It can take a day or so to completely dry.
What detergent you use is very important also. The kind of simple dish washing detergent as recc. by the article worked great.

First time I washed mine, it removed 90% of the barnyard smell. The water was brown with debris.
Another wash removed the last 10%.

(Why don't they wash the wool prior to knitting it into the sweater?? )

Thanks for sharing! But, there is a typo in the link.

This works: www.hjsstudio.com/wash.html

Last edited:

Ralphin Ormond

New in Town
To anyone who might be interested in the White of Hawick cardigan, this is the response I received to my inquiry:
Thank you for your enquiry but regret there will be no further supplies of this Cashmere Cardigan.
We are completely sold out of size Medium and only have Small, Large or XLarge but not in Navy.
Happily, there are several nice alternatives.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
For some reasons it´s been quite a while since I´ve took part in the community here...but that´s changing now and I´ll use this as an re-entry.
So here is my made-to-measure shawl collar cardigan, made from merino wool:

It´s really heavy, warm and tightly knitted and with a light weight wool shirt worn under it it´s absolutely enough to wear in this weather we have in northern Germany right now

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Thanks Jan!
It´s made by Maija from Latvia: http://www.etsy.com/listing/69609787/early-christmas-sale-10-off-use-coupon
She has only one piece for us guys in her shop... but she´s doing custom orders if you can refer her to a picture or pattern.
She´s doing a great job... I can highly recommend her!
I have some upcoming orders in line... I´m a skilled sewer but knitting isn´t something I will ever do in my live ;-)

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks, I've already bookmarked that link. The male model very much looks like Dietmar Bär don't you think?

BTW: Here's my Blacksheep after some modification I carried out:

Before, with horn toggles:

4995926826_a011719541_z.jpg

After, with Aero horn buttons and contrast stitching and additional throat fastening loops:

6418983941_c97bd50031_z.jpg

6418992317_31b5c84f52_z.jpg

Two additional buttons and yarn loops for a closer fit around the neck...useful when it's really windy

6418999915_457a8de079_z.jpg

The loops are made from the same wool. I've asked Blacksheep if they would send me a couple of meters which they gladly did.

6419007141_e3445fbde3_z.jpg

What do you think?

normanf

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I've already bookmarked that link. The male model very much looks like Dietmar Bär don't you think?

BTW: Here's my Blacksheep after some modification I carried out:

Before, with horn toggles:

4995926826_a011719541_z.jpg

After, with Aero horn buttons and contrast stitching and additional throat fastening loops:

6418983941_c97bd50031_z.jpg

6418992317_31b5c84f52_z.jpg

Two additional buttons and yarn loops for a closer fit around the neck...useful when it's really windy

6418999915_457a8de079_z.jpg

The loops are made from the same wool. I've asked Blacksheep if they would send me a couple of meters which they gladly did.

6419007141_e3445fbde3_z.jpg

What do you think?

I like it... its not something to be worn in wet weather but on a windy day, it will make a real difference in maintaining one's core temperature.

Wear it in good health!

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Looks better now to my eyes, Jan... and the loops are a great addition.
Youré absolutely right about Dietmar Bär. First time I saw the picture I was a bit surprised to see him modeling.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Sweater weather is finally here... So I thought I'd give this thread a bump and ask where the good ones are this year!

Sweater weather is finally here... So I thought I'd give this thread a bump and ask where the good ones are this year!
Good idea. Looking at some sweaters and scarves. Anyone have recommendations on nice, tan/cream wool scarves for leather jackets? Just started hunting.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
There certainly a lot nice looking cardigans here. I have always been partial to sweaters, and cardigans always have that sitting near an open hearth with a crackling fire reading a good book and enjoying a nice single malt Scotch while the wind bows the dead leaves around on a cold winters night feel to them for me. It is almost time to get the Harris Tweed jackets out also!

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
For sweaters Souwestchunkies take some beating, they produce excellent quality hand knitted fishermens sweaters at an unbelievable price and will ship anywhere in the world all are custom made, and Peter is a great guy to deal with!

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot