Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Collar Cardigans

Feraud

Bartender
The sweater looks great on you JanSolo. I purchased a brown shawl collar cardigan from Ralph Lauren a year or so ago. It has a classic style and keeps me warm. It gets a lot of use.

subject101

One of the Regulars
I love the blackship, the jcrew and the one that Brad Pitt is wearing. However I have no idea about wool :( What's the best wool for this kind of cardigans? I guess it should be thick and no itchy.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Eddie Bauer shawl cardigan for Christmas. I'd say this one looks pretty darn close.
100_6943.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Great sweater, Dan. BTW, I rescind my suggestion for the Brooks Brothers lambswool model. Tried it on in the store and -- believe it or not -- the leather covered buttons were too big for the button holes. Plus, this style just isn't that flattering for me.

Rayson

New in Town
Hi, some great info here. Helps so much to see decent images of the Black Sheep cardigan. I'm scouring the internet for McQueen cardigan suggestions. Plain shawl, no logo. The other big point for me is a collar button.

I'll offer two of my best findings of shawl cardigans with collar buttons. They're by Albam and Whites Of Hawick. I hope this doesn't break any rules, but I'll link to my blog in fact: http://stevemcqueenstyle.blogspot.com. If you go down to the "Steve's Tops" post dated 23 Jan, you'll find details on the Albam, Whites Of Hawick and others.

I've heard Black Sheep will add a collar button for a bit extra. Would Magnoli do this (when they sort their current knitwear supply problem)? Help with any of this would be great, but no worries if no, it's been an excellent thread regardless.

subject101

One of the Regulars
I'll offer two of my best findings of shawl cardigans with collar buttons. They're by Albam and Whites Of Hawick. I hope this doesn't break any rules, but I'll link to my blog in fact: http://stevemcqueenstyle.blogspot.com. If you go down to the "Steve's Tops" post dated 23 Jan, you'll find details on the Albam, Whites Of Hawick and others.

I liked this one;

http://www.drakes-london.com/knitwear/cashmere/iconic-four-ply-cashmere-shawl-collar-cardigan-1346

Then I looked at the price tag...

subject101

One of the Regulars
I bought shawl cardigans by Albam and Heritage Research and they came to just over half that combined, which is still expensive enough my girlfriend will make a cardigan out of my skin if she finds out.

I still wouldn't pay £350 for a Cardigan :( Nevertheless, that £695 Drakes has everything I like! it's thick, collar is wide and I like its knitting pattern.

Rayson

New in Town
Rayson - nice blog with lots of useful links - thanks for posting.

Ah, thanks. My blog obviously covers a narrow area (since I started it my world occasionally feels as if it's reducing to the size of Steve McQueen) and it's long with a weird tone, but I thought a speed-read of the cardy section might be of use to a few people here.

I still wouldn't pay £350 for a Cardigan :( Nevertheless, that £695 Drakes has everything I like! it's thick, collar is wide and I like its knitting pattern.

It was just over £350 I paid for two cardigans, which felt trippy enough. I mean, they're amazing but still... £350 for a cardy, though? No. I could get the camel-hair version of the Drakes for that, but I want the full-on cashmere one. I wish it looked awful then I could just laugh at the price. But it's beautiful so it mocks me. I can't see how I'll ever own it.

That looks good, though. The problem for me is the funny little button high up on the collar of certain shawl cardigans is a must, and I don't see one on this. Lands' End does a decent-looking shawl cardigan for £70.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
With all the cardigan threads up and about here and on COW, I had to renew my search for one of these great sweaters. I followed all the leads and found items that either were too expensive, not my style, or out of stock.

Yesterday, we went to the mall, and there in Macys, lo and behold, we found this:

0130111637.jpg

Its got everythng I wanted except its not brown. Its dark gray, a wool/synthetic blend so it doesnt itch, has handwarmer pockets, and an overall bulky knit with multiple patterns. And the price was right, being on clearance, plus a register discount, and another percentage off for opening a Macys charge account. Next year, I'll start shopping earlier and get a brown one.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Hi, some great info here. Helps so much to see decent images of the Black Sheep cardigan. I'm scouring the internet for McQueen cardigan suggestions. Plain shawl, no logo. The other big point for me is a collar button.

I've heard Black Sheep will add a collar button for a bit extra. Would Magnoli do this (when they sort their current knitwear supply problem)? Help with any of this would be great, but no worries if no, it's been an excellent thread regardless.

Good afternoon,

I have bought Sweaters from White of Hawick, mainly lambswool, Lyle & Scott/Pringle types and Whites gave very good service. Re the pricing of Knitwear, there seems to be huge differences in costs sometimes, some it's understandable, but not always. I think the dearest ones I have bought are a couple of lovely wool cricket sweaters and some big heavy wool roll necks. Expensive but worth it as they are super jerseys. Rgds.

Well, I received one the same cardigans Jan bought from Black Sheep...albeit with leather covered buttons... and am very happy with it.
It definitely needed a gentle hand wash/soak to get rid of a very strong barn yard smell, but that took care of the problem.
I'd get one again if something happened to this one.

Rayson.
It's soft, though I have felt softer.
The wool is a tiny bit scratchy....but minimally so. I usually am very sensitive to this.
My skin is very sensitive to wool...break out in a rash if I wear it on unprotected skin for a short time.
I have had no problems with this sweater at all.

Subject...no. No pics.
I'm basically very very lazy. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR