Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sheepskin - Not Lambskin - Durability

Gibbs

New in Town
I'm mulling over the purchase of another A-2-ish jacket. Horsehide doesn't call out to me - it's down to goatskin or sheepskin. I like the drape and grain of both, but I'm digging the look of the sheepskin a little more. I've searched and lurked - plenty is said about lambskin and its thin, delicate construction wearing out in ten years, but how would a quality adult sheepskin compare to a quality goatskin?

Finding a sheepskin jacket that doesn't emulate a B-3 or Irvin would be the next step.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What is wrong with horse hide? If you want an A2 that will last sheepskin (with the fleece side removed!) is probably not the leather to go for. Just ask yourself, why high end makers of A2 jackets do not use sheepskin for these jackets?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Do you mean shearling?..or are you talking about capeskin?
I am confused too...

I own a shoulder bag which is made of veg tanned north african "sheepskin" i.e. leather from fully grown sheep. That stuff is very thick and durable and also very stiff due to veg tanning. It almost feels like veg tanned steer or cow but of course the grain is totally different.
It's tricky with sheep leather: The lesser the fleece, the better the leather and vice versa. That's why it can be quite a demanding task to find breeds that give both great wool and durable leather (which is important for sheepskin jackets).

Here's the shoulder bag. Made from bark tanned undyed sheep leather, straps made from cowhide:

13270_1.jpg

Gibbs

New in Town
I'm not thinking shearling; I'm thinking sheepskin with the fleece removed.

Nothing wrong with horsehide, it's just third-favorite. I'm not necessarily looking for a straight-up repro of an A-2, or M422, etc... but I pegged the lack of sheepskin A-2s to historical accuracy, assuming they make them in horsehide and goatskin because that's what they were originally made of. I suppose steerhide exists as an non-original choice because of its availability and toughness. With B-3s and Irvin-style jackets the situation is reversed - I find most made with sheepskin and few made of horsehide and goatskin, again thinking that's because of historical accuracy.

Thanks for the replies - I hadn't expected to see this many upon waking up. I forgot how internationally spread-out TFL is. Also noticed that I'd registered two-and-a-half years ago and just made my first post :eusa_doh:

Last edited:
Well, some early jackets were made of Chinese dog hides. You could give that a shot :)
If you really want an A-2 of sorts made from another hide, contact Aero. They would be the ones that would do it I'd think. Ever thought of Bison or Elk?

Gibbs

New in Town
Until now I hadn't thought how limited the market was, being almost entirely split down horsehide/goatskin lines. I like the drape of goat, but I'm iffy on its texture.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure if you get a thick grade of sheepskin - 1.2mm as used in the manufacture of bags, etc - it'd be fairly strong. Most fashion jackets use .800mm lamb. Also it depends how the hide has been treated - some treatments leave the hide tougher wearing than others.

Maybe you should explore goat that is veg tanned or naked because that looks more like lambskin and doesn't have the rubbery texture that goat often has for the first year or two of wear if it's chrome tanned.

Older sheep are also turned into leather, it's not all lambskin. You'd could to talk to Platon at Bill Kelso, he's done a lot of research into this hide.

Gibbs

New in Town
Nice find Joel!

Also, good idea about the veg-tanned/nekkid goat, Seb. I hadn't thought it made much of a difference, but I'm looking up comparison pictures now.

It seems vegetable-tanned goatskin brings out more of its pebbley grain, while chrome-tanned looks smoother. Am I off-base? I'm liking this, and I believe that example is chrome-tanned. But from what I hear on TFL, chrome-tanned doesn't age as nicely or end up as durable/abrasion resistant as the vegetable stuff.

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure if you get a thick grade of sheepskin - 1.2mm as used in the manufacture of bags.

I have an AN-J-3 made by McGregor/Doniger in ca. 1943 from a similar hide to the bag (a thicker ca. 1.5-2 mm capeskin or older sheepskin) and it is plush, supple and strong. A very practical wearer.

D

Deleted member 16736

The Lumber Jackt uses chrome-tanned leather. Chrome-tanning is over 150 years old and used on many vintage jackets. Chrome-tanning adds durability and water-resistance to leather vs. veg-tanning. Email Lewis Leathers about it if you have any concerns, but I'd rather go chrome-tanning on a thinner hide like sheep. The weight incidentally is 2.75 oz.. or about 1 mm.

Gibbs

New in Town
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I think something in Seal Brown, chrome-tanned goatskin is in my future, so I can signal abandon-ship for this thread. I'll stick around - there's plenty more to figure out before I pull the trigger on my next purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot