Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sherlock Holmes Hat

NonEntity

Suspended
Whoever selected and shaped that hat for Rathbone in "Voices" knew what he was doing, for though the fedora was 1940s-contemporary, the unique downturned front and back brim combined with the pencil-role on the sides, is reminiscent of the deerstalker he wore in the earlier "Hounds" and "Adventures of" films set in Victorian times.

The deerstalker on Rathbone reinforces his portrayal of Holmes, and just plain looks good on the man. The fedora in "Voices" picks up those elements and carries them forward into the WW II era when could not have gotten away with donning a deerstalker, so it was an excellent hat decision.

Edward

Bartender
MAB1 said:
Basil Rathbone all the way.

And I actually have a Deerstalker. :D

Elementary, my dear Watson.

Heh. I've been toying with the idea of one myself, but it'd be so rare that I'd veer out of the urban environs to somewhere it was appropriate, I'm not sure it's worth it. ;)

K

Kaosharper1

Deerstalker

I think its worth noting that the original stories never say that Holmes wore a deerstalker, but the original illustrator, Sydney Paget, drew him in one and that's why we think of him that way now.

dr greg

One Too Many
Brett by a long shot

Colby Jack said:
I really enjoyed both Brett and Basil as Holmes...both brought great character to the portrayal ...I also really enjoyed Christopher Plummer as Holmes in "Murder by Decree"...I believe James Mason was his Watson.
My vote is for Jeremy Brett, I haven't seen the episodes since they were on TV sooo long ago, but the impression remained as the best Holmes EVER, but I did enjoy Murder By Decree on the big screen.

Hal

Practically Family
The Sherlock Holmes type of hat, with its earflaps, is not the only kind of deerstalker. A hat with brims both before and behind, often called the "fore-and-aft", is also known as a deerstalker in the UK and is not an uncommon sight in Scotland, not just when stalking deer but (perhaps mostly by older Scotsmen) as normal headgear with a tweed jacket or a tweed overcoat.

Edward

Bartender
Kaosharper1 said:
I think its worth noting that the original stories never say that Holmes wore a deerstalker, but the original illustrator, Sydney Paget, drew him in one and that's why we think of him that way now.

Agreed - and, to expand on your point, even in those illustrations Holmes only wore the deerstalker in the appropriate environs.

BellyTank - you beat me to it, I saw that in the paper last night. I expect that a lot of folks will be ticked off by that casting, though actually I think it could be inspired. It takes a very strong acting ability to create a character as fleshed out as Borat and hold that character true to itself for long periods of time in the 'real' world. I think he is a fine actor and could do well. Unfortunately, though, it seems that what they have in mind is more of a comedy take on the old 'Holmes was an idiot and it was Watcon was the brains behind him all along.' An interesting idea, but it has been done already.... Personally, I'd rather see a true-to-the-books version produced. (Otherwise, I'd love to see a genre-cross-over - Sherlock Holmes v Dracula or something, that could be great).

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
dr greg said:
My vote is for Jeremy Brett, I haven't seen the episodes since they were on TV sooo long ago, but the impression remained as the best Holmes EVER, but I did enjoy Murder By Decree on the big screen.

Jeremy Brett was the Quintescential Holmes. The best. Rupert Everret did a good job in The Silk Stocking. I wish he had done more.

Re: Voice of Terror hat.

I just rewatched this movie. The hat is nothing more than a standard fedora. It appears in some shots to have the brim turned down at front and back, but the back turn down is clearly not "snap brim". It's one of those things that sometimes happen. Often happens to me o crowded tube trains, or when i'm slinging my bag across my shoulder. I shall try to get screen grabs at some point.

The scene i talked about earlier is indeed a great shot of the hat. It bears a striking resemblance to a Stetson Whippet. Wide edge binding and about 1.5-2" ribbon, i'm guessing. In this shot (getting it off a hat hook) the rear of the brim is turned up "normally".

bk

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I personally think the hat looks slightly like an Indiana Jones hat. Maybe a Herbert Johnson Poet (used in Raiders) reshaped a bit. It was a hat around in the '40s.

By the way, in the Universal Holmes series Rathbone usually wore a tweed fedora in the later films, where the plots were not linked to the war. The idea was to remind you of the deerstalker. And although the deerstalker is not mentioned in the books, he is sometimes mentioned to wear an "earflapped travelling cap" or a cloth cap (and the images show him in a deerstalker).

filfoster

One Too Many
Holmes hats

Two Gun Bob said:
Interesting, but not really Sherlock Holmes' hat...

Here are a few legitimate Holmesian hats, as shown by Jeremy Brett, the greatest ever Sherlock Holmes, and his first Dr John Watson, David Burke (top) and second Dr John Watson, Edward Hardwicke (bottom):

I heartily share your opinion on this. The Grenada production looked very well researched for fashions and set decoration and I would trust the costumes, at least for the men as authentic.

Two Gun Bob said:
We shall have to agree to differ on this one, I'm afraid.

Everett's portrayal is far too much like an effete Victorian James Bond crossed with Oscar Wilde. Moreover his stories have been well-produced but utter rubbish from a canonical point of view.

Brett still wears the deerstalker for me. Yours cordially, TGB.

I have to agree here. Perhaps we need to go back to the source material to notice that Holmes was conceited and arrogant about his talents. Read Watson's musings about it. He clearly had some problems with the way Holmes was quite a quirky character and theatrical with his presentations and revealing the culprit/s. He even had a flair for the theatrical in the sense that his disguises for surveillance were eerily correct. Those are both well represented by Brett.
On the other side of the crime fighting duo, Hardewick portrayed Watson correct to the source material. He was not a fool. He just did not have the same grasp on Holmes' methods as the master. He could understand it when explained and follow the trail but could not notice crucial details or put the details together in such an inductive manner.
Yes, yes I know. I have spent far too long with the books and character analysis. ;) :p

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
While Granada's films with Brett may be more book-accurate, I think that the Basil Rathbone films are more enjoyable to watch. Yes, Nigel Bruce is a dumb Watson, but it does add humour to the films and the actors work well together. Also, I find that the books can get slightly unnintersting as Holmes is just too clever, and therefore nothing is left to chance. Rathbone's Holmes makes some mistakes, meaning that more interesting things can happen.

avedwards said:
While Granada's films with Brett may be more book-accurate, I think that the Basil Rathbone films are more enjoyable to watch. Yes, Nigel Bruce is a dumb Watson, but it does add humour to the films and the actors work well together. Also, I find that the books can get slightly unnintersting as Holmes is just too clever, and therefore nothing is left to chance. Rathbone's Holmes makes some mistakes, meaning that more interesting things can happen.

Rathbone definitely takes liberties with Conan Doyle's Holmes. I suppose it just depends on how book accurate you like the character to be.
Nigel Bruce's Watson is just annoying as heck to me and makes the Rathbone movies unwatchable to me. [huh]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I would love to have seen William Gillette in the role. As far back as 1899 he played him on stage. He started using the meerschaum pipe instead of the straight pipe because it gave him the ability to do more interesting business with it on stage. He was good friends with Arthur Conan Doyle, and indeed the Gillette image of Holmes was incorporated into some of Doyle's later work. He did a film version in 1916, which tragically did not survive. Gillette portrayed Holmes no less than 1,300 times in his career.
Another Holmes I'd love to see is John Barrymore. He portrayed him in 1922, and this film has survived.

dhermann1 said:
I would love to have seen William Gillette in the role. As far back as 1899 he played him on stage. He started using the meerschaum pipe instead of the straight pipe because it gave him the ability to do more interesting business with it on stage. He was good friends with Arthur Conan Doyle, and indeed the Gillette image of Holmes was incorporated into some of Doyle's later work. He did a film version in 1916, which tragically did not survive. Gillette portrayed Holmes no less than 1,300 times in his career.
Another Holmes I'd love to see is John Barrymore. He portrayed him in 1922, and this film has survived.

Those two I am unfamiliar with. It would be interesting to see the stage role in person those many years ago though.
I'll have to check Barrymore's rendition.

trailrunner

Familiar Face
Colby Jack said:
So.....what does everyone think about the new Holmes movie with Robert Downey Jr?

I just do not see Downey as Holmes. He looks nothing like the character has been described(or at least as I perceive him to have been described), and it will be difficult to overcome the what I have built in my head over years of reading and re-reading the stories.

That being said, Downey is fine actor and I think if anyone could become the character despite the marked physical differences it would be him.

This is from an article I looked up on the film:

"This adaptation, Downey said, will not be particularly stylized and will take place in 1891, so it’s not an updated or a re-imagining as some seem to believe."

However, it is based on a graphic novel that is based on several of the stories put together, so as there are two "based on"s in there it is not likely to be classic Homes. Still, I think it will probably be an enjoyable movie, even if not one of the definitive Holmes films.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot