Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shhhhhhhhhh! I am trying to watch the MOVIE!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fletch said:
Where's the closest art house to New Hope? Or do you have to simulate conditions by filling a hot room with smelly people in grimy Chuck Taylors and bed hair, then screening a contrasty nth generation print with the sound up way too loud?

:D Hey, at least they don't use cell phones.

You should come up here. We're as much an art house as you'll find in Maine, but we attract a generally grown-up crowd which behaves itself while sipping wine in the balcony. And we *never* have shabby prints or poor projection -- especially not when I'm in the booth!

Michaelson

One Too Many
I've read this entire string with interest, and with just a bid of sadness. My wife and I raised two daughters, and they are now young, mature adults. What was considered 'discipline' in the 80's is now considered 'abuse' the the court systems, and that 'abuse' is a good smack on the posterior when the young ones got sideways of what was and was NOT acceptable in public. We were never afraid to take our girls anywhere, and did. We regularily had older couples stop by our table and compliment our girls as to how well behaved they were.

Don't get me wrong...they could be hellians when the opportunity allowed, and on occasion, we'd let them rip......but in the appropriate settings. The key phrase that was said that got immediate attention of either daughter when in these situations was 'do you want to go to the car with Dad?' The change in attitude was immediate and long lasting, as they had taken that trip once, and never forgot it either.

I really pity young parents now, and really don't know what I'd be doing if I were starting over raising our girls. What used to instill the proper ediquitte in being in public places is now looked upon as 'damaging' to young minds and 'spirit'. Pure and simple bunk, but it's in the school systems, the court systems, and entrenched in the homes. Once the kids KNOW they have the 'inch', they become the 'ruler', to twist the saying.

That said, though, we're actually on the second generation that this has developed in.....as has been pointed out by the mother's behavior on the airplane. I've experienced the same on airplanes, and in malls, and movie theaters.....and there were no children involved. They were all 20 and 30 something male and females, and behaving just as badly as any rugrats listed above.

Sigh.:eusa_doh:

Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21