Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shinki vs Badalassi - elasticity

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
As far as getting the Vic wet, I remember reading about water spots, and a story about a Vic jacket with a back panel that shrunk up to the point of the liner hanging down an inch or so past the bottom hem( I think that may have been an eBay listing, it’s been over a year ago). I have no personal experience with getting one wet, so maybe my fears are misplaced. I know that the 3 Vic jackets I’ve owned, they’ve all had a different feel. Maybe a batch issue with moisture?? Have you had any experience either way?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Have you had any experience either way?
I haven't handled Vicenza jackets myself but I do own 4 vegetable tanned Italian hh jackets. I have no problems at all wearing them in the poring rain. They do soak up water but they dry up perfectly without any deforming or other issues.

Only exception being the first time my Thedi got wet. The rain did leave a couple of stains but they completely disappeared the second time it got wet.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Perhaps I do overthink it.. I may be guilty of over coddling the Vic. I’m sure I’ll get one wet sooner or later, and see what happens. I didn’t want to get the Badalassi wet either, but it ended up just fine.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I’ll chime in on the squeaky, stretchy Badalassi.. I have an Aero BR in a size 36 russet Badalassi. After a year of wearing this thing everywhere, and one good rain soak, my jacket has “grown” nearly an inch across the chest. My “proper” sizing in a board racer is 38. When new, this thing was a t shirt jacket and as noisy as could be. It slowly became more comfy and a bit less noisy after a few months. I got a nice soaking from the rain one day, and stuck a sweater on underneath to wear it until it dried. When dry, I hit it with a light coat of Obenauf’s just incase. Since then, I can easily wear a mid weight sweater, and the only squeak is in the inner elbow area. The rain only made the hide softer, a bit more grain popped, with a VERY slight darkening effect. New, the pit to pit was 20.25, now it’s a solid 21 and hasn’t shrunk back. It also loosened up in the shoulder and abdominal area. I love this jacket. I wouldn’t trust wearing my Vicenza jackets in the rain, but this one no problem.

Thanks for sharing, the stretch in pit to pit validates my decision to have my jacket Tobacco bootlegger altered. Can you pls post a f/u photo of that jacket? Thanks

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I can't speak to Vicenza specifically, but I've worn vegetable tanned horsehide jackets in the rain and they actually turn out better for it. Obviously if they get soaked you should let them dry out properly, but otherwise it's not an issue in my experience.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
I had a Vincenza Board Racer which I locked myself out of my house and got absolutely soaked in one day, it didnt have ayn detrimental affects at all, in fact it looked cooler than ever.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Thanks for sharing, the stretch in pit to pit validates my decision to have my jacket Tobacco bootlegger altered. Can you pls post a f/u photo of that jacket? Thanks
31DE1883-D04A-42C0-B082-0F3E310A2D69.jpeg
AA551ACF-DFE2-4F67-A205-D95D999427B7.jpeg
C5D75952-1B39-484F-BD5E-35EA8EC021F3.jpeg
E1676EB9-D10D-4703-9960-3779ED73E538.jpeg

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
^^Thanks! I can’t believe that it fits so well, especially for a size 36. It fits better than my Vic 38 board racer as far as having an extra layer on, and still being able to move. To be fair, this one has had more wear time. How is your bootlegger faring?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
^^Thanks! I can’t believe that it fits so well, especially for a size 36. It fits better than my Vic 38 board racer as far as having an extra layer on, and still being able to move. To be fair, this one has had more wear time. How is your bootlegger faring?

My jacket was a 38 with a pit to pit of almost 21.75, it was too relaxed for me. I had it altered at Johnson Leather to trim the chest/waist/bottom hem to get to a size 36. It fits so much better now, more trim. I also had a removable mouton collar placed just for added style. Still has plenty to go for a complete break in but I'm wearing it as much as I can. This is also my favorite hide, I think I like it more than shinki to be honest.

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

skybert

One of the Regulars
My jacket was a 38 with a pit to pit of almost 21.75, it was too relaxed for me. I had it altered at Johnson Leather to trim the chest/waist/bottom hem to get to a size 36. It fits so much better now, more trim. I also had a removable mouton collar placed just for added style. Still has plenty to go for a complete break in but I'm wearing it as much as I can. This is also my favorite hide, I think I like it more than shinki to be honest.

Man, I can kind of tell that the sides are trimmer compared to the shoulders and upper back...but it looks super masculine, especially from the back. Great jacket, great fit :)

Edward

Bartender
Looks to me that the Peter's center vent was sewn in such a way to always be open.

I suspect so too. Puts me in mind of those teacore hides which are designed to age faster than "normal" - a feature design for the guys who want a jacket that looks as close as possible to a seventy-year-old jacket. Something for the same sort of guy who wants the Fender 'relic' look guitar, as opposed to those of us who buy a reissue that we want to look new... all depends on the look you want, really.

Steer is more manly, and expensive sounding. Maybe back in the 40s/50s it was also tougher. Several of my favourite jackets are from “steerhide”. I also prefer the way the CXL steer breaks in over the CXL HH.

Yes, my impression is that it's as much about marketing as any specific sex-based distinction.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Man, I can kind of tell that the sides are trimmer compared to the shoulders and upper back...but it looks super masculine, especially from the back. Great jacket, great fit :)

I should have went with my gut instead of going with the size recommended to me but now I know better. Yes, the shoulder seams are past my shoulders as it's almost 18" across (my ideal is between 17.25-17.5") but it doesn't look so big and it's also great to layer up with. It does make the V taper more pronounced so that makes it feel/look more masculine so I'm cool with it. Thank you so much for your kind words.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I should have went with my gut instead of going with the size recommended to me but now I know better. Yes, the shoulder seams are past my shoulders as it's almost 18" across (my ideal is between 17.25-17.5") but it doesn't look so big and it's also great to layer up with. It does make the V taper more pronounced so that makes it feel/look more masculine so I'm cool with it. Thank you so much for your kind words.
I think that the jacket looks like a fantastic fit. I’d be happy with it for sure. I’m loving the tobacco color as it seems to vary in different lighting. When I bought my very first Aero a couple of years ago, I went against recommendation and I got a size 36 Vic board racer... I should have listened to Carrie, as I ended up giving that one to a friend a few months later. I counted on it stretching out a bit, like some less expensive jackets I’d experienced in the past. After handling samples, I could see that the Badalassi had some give, so for a custom order, I just added the length in the sleeves and body to another 36. It worked well after a couple of months. It was the shoulder being too tight in my first jacket that ended it for me. My new jacket (Sheene on the way) has an inch wider shoulders, and I think I’m gonna love it.

Edward

Bartender
I think that the jacket looks like a fantastic fit. I’d be happy with it for sure. I’m loving the tobacco color as it seems to vary in different lighting. When I bought my very first Aero a couple of years ago, I went against recommendation and I got a size 36 Vic board racer... I should have listened to Carrie, as I ended up giving that one to a friend a few months later. I counted on it stretching out a bit, like some less expensive jackets I’d experienced in the past. After handling samples, I could see that the Badalassi had some give, so for a custom order, I just added the length in the sleeves and body to another 36. It worked well after a couple of months. It was the shoulder being too tight in my first jacket that ended it for me. My new jacket (Sheene on the way) has an inch wider shoulders, and I think I’m gonna love it.

I'd definitely pay attention if Thurston tell you it's too tight; they do seem to like a neat fit there. I feel your pain, though. Little worse than an amazing jacket that just isn't *quite* right.... Hopefully the new jacket will make up for it.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

We are on the opposite side on the size recommendation. I actually went with Carrie's suggestion with the size 38 as she cautioned me the size 36 might be too uncomfortable. Guess it was a size too big at the end but that's okay, Agree, the shoulder width also help determine how the jacket will feel when you are wearing it. What leather will be used for your new sheene?

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
We are on the opposite side on the size recommendation. I actually went with Carrie's suggestion with the size 38 as she cautioned me the size 36 might be too uncomfortable. Guess it was a size too big at the end but that's okay, Agree, the shoulder width also help determine how the jacket will feel when you are wearing it. What leather will be used for your new sheene?
The new Sheene is Natural CXL HH. I’m anxious to get ahold of it. The numbers all check out. If it fits correctly, it’ll be a keeper, if not, I’ll get the ball rolling on a custom, but will most likely stick with the natty CXL HH or possibly steer. I have owned another Brown CXL HH jacket, but moved it on. Currently i have 2 Board racers. One BB Vic, the other Badalassi. I have a premier highwayman in BB Vic as well( a pretty thick, stiffer Vic than I’m used to), so I think I need a different hide to balance it all out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto