Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ship John

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I remember when you bought that, and your issues with the length. I was between sizes on the Ramblin' Jacket, and I actually bought both and kept them for a long while. Interestingly, the Large fits me more like a jacket, but the XL was very much Chore Coat length on me. I finally ended up selling the XL because I preferred the closer fit of the large. For what it's worth, even the Large doesn't fit me like a Type 3 - my Iron Heart Type 3's are more tapered in the body and look very different.

I think this jacket looks best on slim people with long torsos and a bit less width in the shoulders.

I think that looks great on your build. It's definitely not a short bodied type 3, but it doesn't need to be - it's kind of it's own thing.
Thanks @jimmer_5, I agree it is something different than your typical trucker, but doesn't look like a chore coat anymore.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I learned very early on not to tell anybody how much I paid for one of my leather jackets. The average person can not fathom this information and they don’t know how to process it. This discussion then turns from what a cool jacket I’m wearing to whether I should be institutionalized.

Exactly this!

The only difference for me is that I sometimes point out that my Aero (if this is the jacket I get a comment on) is half the price and double the satisfaction of a Belstaff (because most people are vaguelky familiar with the later since they turned from a MC to a fashion brand).

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
My comments on the matter aren't to be taken seriously.

20211209-003619.jpg

When you say "try again", do you mean try ordering again?
Or do you mean try to get him to lose his sh*t completely by comparing his leather to Shinki and his jackets to Japanese made ones? Maybe ask him for veg tan leather this time...

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Since discovering TFL, I take immense pleasure in buying from small outfits I am able to do some background research on and ideally get into personal contact with the owner(s). Heck, I sometimes travel to meet with them.

This is strictly personal (and as "1st-world" as it can be), but it satisfies me to know that I deal with actual people rather than corporations. I still buy from big(gish) companies, and I won´t buy from makers that I dislike (which really never happens as I enjoy "difficult" characters ;)) or if I don´t like the product itself.

Ship John ticks all my boxes. As an american producer, import is a somewhat restrictive factor, but it´s really no different than UK these days. I have a "Townes Shirt" which is my all time favorite denim shirt (and I have A LOT of denim shirts). Pricey for sure but not more so than IH, Indigofera, Blaumann or any given Japanese maker.

Last edited:

Aquarian

New in Town
I genuinely liked the Wills jacket form the first time I saw it which was randomly in an image search several years ago , I had no idea about any hype or how popular it was. I just thought it looked like a well cut and designed jacket. After I found the SJ website and saw the price I thought it was kinda crazy, especially for an unlined jacket. But that's how much a very well made jacket is these days. It's not truly "blue collar", that's obvious. It's fashion.. high quality fashion, which is fine. People pay a lot more for clothing not nearly this well made.
If you want a regular work jacket then yeah Carhartt will do, but the Wills is a different beast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner