Ship John

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Boyo, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

As these guys continue to gain in popularity and continue to put out some nice jackets, jeans, belts etc I figured I’d get a thread started..

to kick things off, amid the current chaos I received this Tan Wills jacket today. I was able to snag a spot on line in November 2018. Not too long considering my other recent wait.

The jacket is made from 24 Ounce waxed canvas...
    53A9A3DA-CC1B-430F-ABDC-9B55B49CDCA1.jpeg 2CAFC8E9-36A8-437C-8929-5250937A0283.jpeg B85A0565-EDF7-46CF-B852-B491361665F6.jpeg 4CE8CBCA-88CE-41D8-A94C-86DB2D77E16D.jpeg 71A10EA8-ECDC-440C-B1FD-58EEB2519434.jpeg 26B70060-73BE-407F-9225-7D4FCEF8C9DC.jpeg 2CEAD15B-83E2-4976-8F65-FB8D84EDF9B3.jpeg 0D5DB686-E99A-447C-A5A9-5B0522417900.jpeg

if you’re not already familiar with these guys .. take a look at their website..

https://shipjohn.us/collections/clo...e-work-jeans-pre-order?variant=15965323034718

RILO, wild_balls, Belkar and 23 others like this.
  2. KissMyMuscle

KissMyMuscle One of the Regulars

Great jacket. Fits you perfect.

Boyo likes this.
  3. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

Oh man that is awesome!

Boyo likes this.
  4. KissMyMuscle

How is the sizing? The measurements seems pretty tight.

Boyo likes this.
  5. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

I like what these guys are doing as well. I make daily use of their guitar pick keychain.
    94879631-A1DB-4A60-ADA6-905628864425.jpeg E21222A4-D93B-470D-8561-1B91B77198D0.jpeg

RILO, Hobbes1, tmitchell59 and 13 others like this.
  6. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Boyo did you have/do have a goatskin Willis? I’ve seen pics that I swear was you.
    Interested to see updates. Really like the most recent Langlitz collab. Glad they’re impossible to snag. Little spendy.

Boyo likes this.
  7. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

Yes, I did.. I didn't end up liking how it fit, and sold it. The sizing charts they used then left some doubt. The goatskin jacket didn't have a size tag in it, and the measurements i recorded didn't line up with any of the posted sizes from the chart. so who knows what i got. I honestly wasn't all that impressed with either the leather or construction from Langlitz..( that itch has been scratched..) I do think the newer size charts, at least for the jackets they make in house are pretty accurate. I haven't measured this one yet.. but it feels right.

Ill break out the measuring tape and let you know how it matches up in bit, but It does "feel right" for the measurements i was looking for.

** EDIT- My measurements match the posted measurements just about perfectly..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  8. KissMyMuscle

500 for a 24 oz Wax cotton jacket. Is that a resonable price? How do you like the quality of them. They seem sold out this one.

9. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

There is a raffle on Ship John website to help small businesses during these difficult times.
    https://shipjohn.us/pages/sba
    I'd love to participate, but have no idea how to buy an online gift card from some of these small businesses. Is there a platform?

10. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

seems very robust, perhaps only an angle of the pictures taken but the collar post seems jutting out?

11. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

That's kind of a funny question to ask on this site where price and value is often artistically arrived at, but I think I hear you. Look at Belstaff or Barbour prices and you'll see this is priced ok. However 24 oz is highly unusual - Barbour is around 8 oz. So this stuff's point of difference is, shall we say, robustness? It is super thick. I actually think that waxed cotton at that thickness may not be too practical but I would be interested to hear back from owners. I suspect tearing along creases may be a risk.

I wonder if it is worth ever going thicker than 14oz for waxed cotton. To me the obsession with escalating thickness or weight reminds me of those supermarket razors that keep adding blades on the principle that more is better. I am not convinced this is the case but it may be. Whatever the case the jacket looks great.

LZHA and Edward like this.
  12. Monitor

Monitor

Fantastic!

Boyo likes this.
  13. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

I read it that you buy an online gift card from ANY small business. Screen shot the receipt and email it to Shipjohn. They somehow will take all of the emails and draw from them to win the prizes listed.

14. TheGuitarFairy

TheGuitarFairy A-List Customer

El Marro, I dig pick holder/key chain! alas they're out of stock there too.

El Marro and Boyo like this.
  15. ton312

ton312

Awesome jacket Boyo! I love the pattern of the Wils jacket. This has me really stoked for the Ramblin’ jacket I ordered. Hopefully the end of June is still a reality for that one.

Boyo likes this.
  16. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

Re the price.. for me ( its an individual choice obviously) for a jacket made in the US by a small shop that employees a local group of folks.. it was well worth it.

These are fairly popular, and they cant make but a few a week, they have been continuously sold out. The newest plan to make buying one fair, is to open up the sales page once a month and sell only the number of jackets they can make in that month.
    the March sale date was last week..the jackets were sold out in minute(s).

Thanks Seb..The 24 ounce weight is taken after the wax has been applied so the fabric unwaxed is somewhat lighter..probably closer to 14 ounces.

The pics were pretty fresh from the box.. the collar will form with some honest wear

wild_balls, El Marro and navetsea like this.
  17. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Obviously the next few months will likely be atypical but when do they usually announce the onsale?

18. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

Thanks Ton, Im loving the jacket so far.. yeah fingers crossed for the Ramblin

ton312 likes this.
  19. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Acc to the site, 18oz, 24 post wax.

Boyo likes this.
  20. Boyo

Boyo One Too Many

He does a lot of his announcements on Social media.. Instagram mostly. but i believe there is an email based newsletter that you can sign up for that announces the date of the next sale.

Bfd70 likes this.