Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shipping Back to Aero from the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am recalling back to grad school correctly, the element I've been inadequately addressing here is "goodwill".
Aero has earned some positive "goodwill" with their customer base by proactively issuing a statement of the malevolent practice & on a case-by-case basis evaluating & replacing those determined as fouls, their chosen method of emailing photos.Earned brownie points with me & I am not in that group.
I gave a recent, personal example of how a local company addressed a similar issue of garment replacement. This is a small outfitter too, just not international.
Holly has acknowledged that Aero is covering all the shipping costs both replacement jacket & return.
All I am stating is the added gesture of sending the replacement with the return shipping label so the wronged customer can compare the two would pay high dividends of "goodwill" than saying we can't expose ourselves to potential fraud by folks that have been defrauded by our prior management.
In the risk vs reward analysis, it seems a no-brainer to me...

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Frank, I'd admit that the wording in the email is open to interpretation. At least it sounds like you'll be reimbursed for those charges as long as you insist that Aero do so, which is not unreasonable given the circumstances.

kyboots

Practically Family
I think you hit it right on the spot. Zappos shoes will take returns for one year. Their good will is great and this company has grown exponentially. Aero is a small company but they must satisfy current customers and attempt to keep future customers purchasing their products. These Aeros are not $100 shoes but $1000 jackets. Most certainly there will be criminal prosecution in the future; will be interesting reading. The " bear " remark is unfortunate. Maintaining this good loyal customer base is the most important item of business for a company in this situation, and I am surprised that there has been no more direct contact with their customers. I suspect and hope this changes quickly. I still love my Aero, and I only have two not 20 like some of you!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ultimately, Aero's situation is uniquely difficult - this is a small company dealing with a high number of customers in this situation, they're trying to their best. I think, also, rather than batting around 'what they should be doing is this...', that those with concerns should speak directly to Aero either by email or phone to discuss the situation rather than relying on the Greek Chorus of the board as a guide. This place is good for style and fitting tips, not international business etiquette/legal advice.

wdw

One Too Many
Thinking this through, it might have been better for Aero to do a few bulk returns through Insurrection, as that way the US customers deal inland, Insurrection get a few dollars for their trouble and Aero save a packet on individual postage costs. :cheers1:

Holly - all I ask in return for this sage advice is being moved up the ladder a few notches on my next jacket ;)

... This place is good for style and fitting tips, not international business etiquette/legal advice.

This is a Lounge/forum good for what topics can be intellectually discussed by the patrons that attend as long as they don't violate the tenants of the proprietor. Where a vendor chooses to attain market research is its business.
So you know the exact number of customers in the situation & how is this uniquely difficult?
In all the businesses out there, no other has had product shipped claimed to be of 1 material but actually another?
They are trying to do what they desire to do, how can you qualify that as their best?
Sounds like more kangaroo court now than Greek chorus...

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
For what it's worth, when I needed to exchange a jacket I had ordered, for a different size, from Insurrection, they sent out the replacement before receiving the original. I think this was pretty good service on their part, not to mention demonstrating confidence in the customer.

For what it's worth, when I needed to exchange a jacket I had ordered, for a different size, from Insurrection, they sent out the replacement before receiving the original. I think this was pretty good service on their part, not to mention demonstrating confidence in the customer.

Worth some positive goodwill for Insurrection...

kyboots

Practically Family
I have to say a great example. I guess I need to look at Insurrection more!

53Effie

A-List Customer
Fox Creek Leather commonly does the same thing if there are fit issues. Just good customer relations.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
This is a Lounge/forum good for what topics can be intellectually discussed by the patrons that attend as long as they don't violate the tenants of the proprietor. Where a vendor chooses to attain market research is its business.
So you know the exact number of customers in the situation & how is this uniquely difficult?
In all the businesses out there, no other has had product shipped claimed to be of 1 material but actually another?
They are trying to do what they desire to do, how can you qualify that as their best?
Sounds like more kangaroo court now than Greek chorus...

Rhetorical questions are an invention of the Greek philosopher Aristotle you know... :D. That aside, all I am suggesting is that in any situation where there is some sort of specific problem, direct communication between concerned parties is a more positive line of action for both parties, rather than garnering a variety of opinions - no matter how well meant - which may have some or no standing on either side of the pond.
Nothing wrong with discussing it, I'm just not sure how it contributes to the situation as is . For what it's worth, I agree with wdw: working through Insurrection would seem an effective way of creating a US point of contact that would ease any bottle-neck in communication and reduce costs, and create goodwill generally. But it's not for us to make that decision, though I do hope wdw does get a bump up the ladder if it happens :D ;)

schitzo

Suspended
Reading through this it's clear as day that gtdean48 and his allies in this argument are talking sense. Evidently these are savvy consumers and I think some of the arguments presented are impenetrable.

And yet I can totally understand why the Scottish defence team feel compelled to leap into action.

What needs to be remembered here is that Aero are a tiny tiny company. They don't have a PR or marketing team. It's basically just a very small group who can make you a great jacket. Therefore in a marketing sense it's possible (perhpas inevitable) that small mistakes from time to time will get made. Take the website as a case in point. It's hardly a work of art is it, but it's functional. It's also possible that when Holly answers her 200th email of the day at say 10pm there might be the odd unfortunate wording. Newsflash: The woman is human!

What it all boils down to is do you trust Holly and Ken et al to do the right thing. Anyone who's dealt with them, myself included, says yes. In my opinion anyone who doesn't is either a) trying to cause trouble or b) hasn't yet deal with them direct

So I guess what I'm trying to say is these are good people and this is a good company. that has integrity. Granted the door is ajar at the moment but you guys don't need to run in and bash them with your marketing/PR sticks just because it is. After all, there is no doubt that in time you'll all get sorted out and nobody will be left screwed over

All the best
Schitz

frussell

One Too Many
This has become more contentious than I wanted. I'm not trying to slam Holly or Aero. I got the postal advice I needed, and sent the jacket back yesterday afternoon. Despite today's posts offering reimbursement, that was never mentioned, so I sent the jacket back as requested, just like I have followed all Aero's instructions from the beginning when I ordered the first jacket. I wasn't happy to eat the cost of shipping, and since Aero never offered to cover that cost, I paid it. I'm sure some would suggest that I should have been the squeaky wheel and demanded free return shipping. Perhaps I misread the tone of Holly's email this morning, but besides the usual paragraph justifying the situation they are trying desperately to improve, I took a small offense at the "more than you can bear" comment. I already bore it, the first time I ordered. Shouldn't have to "bear" any more costs. I tried early in this arrangement to get details on EXACTLY what costs I might incur in this return, as far back in emails to Holly as November 30th. No response to the cost was given, just as my email query this morning about future costs on the arrival of the replacement jacket received no clear answer, only a slightly dismissive barb about what I could "bear," which to me sounded like I was asking for too much. I may be misreading this situation completely, but that's how it strikes me today. As far as Aero getting my jacket back and deciding it's horse after all, or never receiving it, that would be slightly fishy at this point. The damned thing never fit anyway, and was obviously not made to the measurements I carefully submitted when I ordered it. This wheel is definitely squeaking now, and it's a shame, because it's not really my style. I prefer to voice my discontent with my wallet, and take my business elsewhere. Unfortunately for all involved, I'm stuck with Aero for now, and they are stuck with unpleasant me. I only hope it's not more than they can bear. Frank

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
This thread and the current issue in Europe where horse meat has got into ground beef in ready meals is a little ironic. Doubly so when some of it appears to be American horses shipped to Canada and Mexico for slaughter. Upwards of 100,000 animals a year... and yet horsehide is still rare...

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Frank, I get the impression that both yourself and Holly are doing the best you can in this situation. Human nature being what it is, people are bound to sometimes choose what might not be the best choice of wording, or get a bit irritated at the overall situation. Such is life as a human being. Hopefully for everyone involved, this is all resolved and put to rest sooner rather than later and ultimately to your satisfaction.

sal

One of the Regulars
I suppose the point now is what reason or evidence you or anyone else has to doubt the current Aero management's word.

I have personal experience of them righting the previous wrongs (at their own expense), so would trust Holly with no hesitation.

I doubt very much if I am the only one.

I don't have personal experience with them righting a wrong but in my business I deal with many, many companies almost daily and I have seen a lot.
What I will tell you is that I was impressed enough with what they are doing, as a company, I ordered my first jacket from them. If only every company was this customer focused.

I also agree with Holly's statement and I would trust them to send me the jacket after I sent them mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana