Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shipping "fur" internationally...?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Not sure where to put this question, but does anyone know how to have a Astrakhan coat shipped from the UK to America? In my ongoing attempt to appear as if I just stepped out of Shorpy, I've bought a beauty of a turn of the last century shawl collared overcoat and the seller is confused about how to ship it and I'm at a loss myself [huh]

They said the Courier company said the coat is classed as "animal products". Because of US import laws there are some extra requirements, I will need my Tax ID number for the invoice and also I will need a power of attorney, ie a letter from my solicitor to say I can own the coat. This will need to be produced at customs before the coat can be delivered.

Any thoughts folks? :eusa_doh:

e565_1.JPG

Edward

Bartender
Sounds likely to me that this is the right way things are done; customs authorities re very tight on these things to prevent the import / trade in endangered species goods, even though it does in practice seem onerous to have to apply these rules in respect of an animal that has obviously been dead for nigh on a century.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Sounds likely to me that this is the right way things are done; customs authorities re very tight on these things to prevent the import / trade in endangered species goods, even though it does in practice seem onerous to have to apply these rules in respect of an animal that has obviously been dead for nigh on a century.

power of attorney, solicitor and tax id #'s are somewhat Greek to me though :eusa_doh:

lady eel

New in Town
controversal fur

I do know that in order to own an endangered coat in the US one needs paper documentation that it is vinage (I *think* it's over 40 years old) I also know of cases where non-endangered furs (one was a 40's monkey coat)have been confiscated, studied and returned.

Maybe there are some new laws on Astrakhan? I do know it has been a subject of controversy for many years. This may be why you need all the documentation.

I am a vintage fur wearer, and don't want to stir things up, but it's very sad really.
http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/wildlife_news/astrakhan_hot_new_fashion.html

mike

Call Me a Cab
lady eel said:
I am a vintage fur wearer, and don't want to stir things up, but it's very sad really.
http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/wildlife_news/astrakhan_hot_new_fashion.html

Yes, that indeed sounds terrible. This appealed to me due to the 100+ year old age of it coupled with the great look of the coat that reminded me of something an Edwardian/1910's era man would sporting. Just to be clear, if it was made today, I wouldn't be supporting their modern products. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I had some ivory and tortoise pieces shipped to the States from the UK a few years ago. The seller (shipper) provided all the necessary paperwork on his end (primarily a Certificate of Origin, IIRC), while I just took delivery;though one shipment got hung up at Customs (and/or Fish and Wildlife) for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner