Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shipping Outside the US

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I’ve had numerous oversees members wanting to buy my jackets and every time I tell them the shipping costs, they are shocked and back out. Oversees shipping is only reasonable if you have a business account, otherwise it is usually $100-$200 to ship. That is why I only sell in the US.
A medium usps flat rate box shipped to the Netherlands is about $70, a large box costs $93. Expensive but not $100-$200 expensive.

I don't understand why it has to be so expensive by the way. Whenever I ship to the US I'm charged €24 for a box that's less than 2kg or €42 for a box from 2kg to 5kg.

My advice is to ship using USPS if shipping to a non-US destination.

I've only had one case using USPS where the buyer had to pay import duties, but until I learned my lesson multiple cases with DHL and FedEx--even when the import fees were clearly unwarrented.
I second that. I've received dozens of jackets from the US. For DHL import / handling fees are a business model,. USPS on the other hand, hands over packages to our local parcel service who usually doesn't charge any fees at all.

jglf

A-List Customer
A medium usps flat rate box shipped to the Netherlands is about $70, a large box costs $93. Expensive but not $100-$200 expensive.

I don't understand why it has to be so expensive by the way. Whenever I ship to the US I'm charged €24 for a box that's less than 2kg or €42 for a box from 2kg to 5kg.

I second that. I've received dozens of jackets from the US. For DHL import / handling fees are a business model,. USPS on the other hand, hands over packages to our local parcel service who usually doesn't charge any fees at all.
Fitting a leather jacket into a usps large flat rate box is nearly impossible unless you have a very thin leather jacket and lining.

The $100-$200 cost is to ship in an appropriately sized box where you don’t have to fold the jacket 10 times to barely fit.

Last edited:

jglf

A-List Customer
Even at $100 shipping I’ve had no less than 10 members back out because of the shipping cost. That’s even with me deducting $25 for what it would cost to ship in the US.

For me, it saves the seller/buyer time and frustration to just sell conus.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Fitting a leather jacket into a usps large flat rate box is nearly impossible unless you have a very thin leather jacket and lining.

The $100-$200 cost is to ship in an appropriately sized box where you don’t have to fold the jacket 10 times to barely fit.
Nearly impossible? Here's what a halfbelt looks like in a large flat rate box, the box is half empty.

IMG_1466.jpeg

@ton312 once sent me a halfbelt, a pair of cowboy boots and a bundle of 15 zippers all in one large flat rate box, without any trouble.

This quilted lining steerhide halfbelt came in a medium flat rate box.

Terry unboxing the jacket :

IMG_6869.jpeg

Nearly impossible? Here's what a halfbelt looks like in a large flat rate box, the box is half empty.

View attachment 516010

@ton312 once sent me a halfbelt, a pair of cowboy boots and a bundle of 15 zippers all in one large flat rate box, without any trouble.

This quilted steerhide halfbelt came in a medium flat rate box.

View attachment 516011
In all fairness, I'm a pro:D

jglf

A-List Customer

View attachment 516010

This quilted lining steerhide halfbelt came in a medium flat rate box.

View attachment 516011
I said it’s “nearly impossible unless you have a very thin leather jacket and lining.” The pics you provided are broken in jackets with thinner leathers. I’ve tried to pack newer vansons and Aeros in large boxes and couldn’t make them fit.

I’m sure you’ll find a pic to prove me wrong.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
From my perspective it's all about transparency, clear communication and collaboration between the seller and the buyer.

If the seller investigates and communicates clearly the cost of shipping and import fee / customs responsibility being on the buyer side then it's simply up to the buyer to decide whether those 2 costs on top of the item cost are worth it.

Should the seller break his neck trying to find the absolute cheapest path for the buyer? No. But both of them should put effort (especially the buyer) into finding a reasonable solution.

Personally I'm still very reluctant to buy anything serious from US or Japan (haven't done so yet), but I believe it work out fine, even if a bit expensive. For example I've bought a custom titanium gravel bike frame from Turkey (outside of EU) and it worked fine, felt okay because it's not that far. But US/Japan just seem so far.. I guess it's a mental/emotional thing.

Wanted to get a Vanson Chopper from @ClarkRC from Canada, but that ended up being ~200USD for the shipping, which was just too steep for me.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I buy from the US (both from commercial sellers and via TFL) and I also ship to the US.

As a seller I use DHL priority which I find both reliable and affordable at ca. EUR 58, as a buyer, cost may be more on the high side, depending on courier. I have had instances where shippng was as much as the actual sale-item or even higher, but for stuff that just isn´t available in Eurpope or at a much higher price.

Echoeing what @TartuWolf has said: why not give people the chance to sort this question out individually. I totally get if a seller is reluctant to ship overseas, but it never hurts to ask, and as a buyer I always make sure to cover actual costs incurred in that respect (as a seller I usually offer "flat fees" at a minor discount as I am more or less comfortable as to what I woill actually pay, and I want to keep matters as simple as possible).

TyPetty

New in Town
Hey there! It's great to hear about your experience with shipping outside the US. I agree, finding reliable and affordable shipping options can be quite a challenge. DHL priority sounds like a good choice, especially if it works well for you as a seller. I totally understand that as a buyer, shipping costs can sometimes be on the higher side, but it's often worth it when you can't find certain items locally or they're much pricier in Europe.

By the way, have you ever considered using shopify flat rate shipping? They offer convenient features like flat rate shipping, which can make shipping hassle-free for online store owners.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I refunded a buyer today after seeing how expensive it was to ship to Glasgow. I got an accetable "quote" yesterday from the USPS but when I went to ship today, the true price was much higher - $85-90 USD. For a $800 jacket, that might be acceptable, but this was a cheaper purchase. No problem at all with the buyer, he was great - but I'm done with Intenational Shipping.

I said it’s “nearly impossible unless you have a very thin leather jacket and lining.” The pics you provided are broken in jackets with thinner leathers. I’ve tried to pack newer vansons and Aeros in large boxes and couldn’t make them fit.

I’m sure you’ll find a pic to prove me wrong.

Folding a leather jacket is somewhat of an acquired skill, I will admit to that but I've shipped out numerous Vansons and Aeros in boxes such as Marc posted photos of and they all fit just fine - Albeit, I will always try to ship out such jackets in a slightly larger boxes but even the slightly bigger size isn't an issue here. As far as I know, the shipping price is determined by weight & I know that every single jacket I've gotten from the United States from TFL members or otherwise, had consistently cost me about the same which would to date come out at approximately $70.
I haven't ever been quoted a $100+ for the shipping and had I been, I would do a 360, thanked the seller and Moon-walked away from the transaction.

Edward

Bartender
My reason for not shipping abroad is because potential buyers always ask ”how much to ship t….” I put in the effort to get the price and they get sticker shock and don’t buy or want to negotiate it off the price. Selling in country of residence is just easier.

It can get frustrating, yes. I know as a buyer on eBay there have been a lot of things I'd have been interested in from the US, but the listed cost of shipping makes them prohibitively expensive (not the seller's fault) - sometimes as much ore more than the new price. I'm also wary of the practicality of buying anything significant from abroad unless I'm absolutely certain of the details. Not really a worry about the seller (Paypal have always seen me right on the rare occasion I've been ripped off), but more so the hassle of returning if it doesn't suit. Same reason I've never bought a Bronson jacket - looked at quite a few I'd like, but the measurements on their top end sizing are so touch and go for me, the odds aren't good and the return process would be a nightmare. I've also learned the hard way that 'just sell it on' doesn't always work out either.

Edward

Bartender
This is all great information. Any guidance on the declaration paperwork to mitigate customs fees and taxes?

I think most of that is usually covered when you deal with the shipping company.

Declaring things to be a gift or commercial sample, or under-declaring the value of the item are common practices, though it's worth being aware that these approaches are actually illegal. In some jurisdictions, like the UK, the law can technically find the recipient liable for defrauding customs if an item's value is under-declared or otherwise it's nor properly dealt with if the Customs officials have reason to believe that the buyer is complicit.

hd3kmize

New in Town
Thank you for the reply and guidance. I find that conforming with customs laws are typically the best course of action. Recently, I conducted a trade with another forum member in the UK. This was straight up an even trade, no money was tendered. He had to pay customs fees on the jacket. Seems odd to me to have to pay customs on a used item where no monetary transaction took place.

cbez

One Too Many
I've been having luck with pirateship and UPS worldwide expedited. Prices seem a little better than usps. Recently underestimated some shipping to Australia but ‍you win some you lose some.

hd3kmize

New in Town
Lots of good shipping tips on this thread. I shipped via UPS expedited and the fees were ridiculous! I'll definitely need to do more homework for future shipments outside the US.

FWIW and responding to a tangential topic on this thread related to Rivet & Hide. I have ordered many items from them. Their fulfillment and shipping speed is amazing! The price listed on their webpage is the price I paid, inclusive of customs and shipping to the US. I received my orders from them faster than ordering from another retailer local to me. They are exceptional!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner