Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirt garters?

Jovan

Suspended
As for the shirt and sock garters, they are helpful, but I don't think they're necessary at all.

":eek: WHAT DID HE SAY???"

Now now, people, let me explain. In my experience, above the calf socks and a shirt that is well fitting with long enough tails (can be gotten from a number of inexpensive online shirtmakers) will keep you looking professional all day. I've found that blousier RTW shirts, even with long enough tails, tend to come out more. I have no idea why, that's just how it is. My bespoke shirt never comes out a lot, despite that its tails are a bit shorter than most shirts I own. [huh]

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Be warned! We had to wear the shirt stays in the Marine Corps, and they are not without their hazards. They constantly pulled the hair out of my legs, as mentioned earlier, and boy! does that make you twitch! There's never a good time to have the hair yanked out of your leg, but what was even worse was when one of the buckles would let loose. Since you have to wrap them around your legs (to keep the straps from pulling the back of your pants leg taut when you sit down) if they cut loose from the sock end they are aimed right at your groin. If they cut loose from the shirt end, they trail on the ground behind you. Either way, it's pretty embarrassing and/or painful. Once I graduated from boot camp I wore them about twice more, and then swore off them forever. Evil, evil things!

Jovan said:
Now now, people, let me explain. In my experience, above the calf socks and a shirt that is well fitting with long enough tails (can be gotten from a number of inexpensive online shirtmakers) will keep you looking professional all day. I've found that blousier RTW shirts, even with long enough tails, tend to come out more. I have no idea why, that's just how it is. My bespoke shirt never comes out a lot, despite that its tails are a bit shorter than most shirts I own.
I think the difference is whether or not the shirt pulls itself up out of your trousers when you lift your arms. It's the same phenomenon as the armhole in the suit coats and blazers. If the shoulder seam is too low on the arm, every time you lift your arm you untuck your shirt. Ditto if the sleeve is poorly made, hence the better fit and performance of a bespoke shirt.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I must admit, I haven't read through this entire thread yet (I'm at work...shame on me); I just came across the thread now that it has been bumped back to the top of the thread.

My experience with shirt stays was much the same as Mojave Jack's. We wore them in the Marine Corps and I have to say, they do their job very well. Shirts stay tucked in and socks remain pulled up. Mojave Jack hit on the major drawbacks. The other (but less irritating) problem was that the shirt stays had to be wrapped around your legs, so they would sometimes twist your socks.

They do a good job, as I had having my shirt billow out around the waist, but I ended up wearing them only for inspections. The rest of the time I went without. I haven't worn them in years.

ThinkandDrive

New in Town
Baron Kurtz said:
nahh, you attach the boxers to the shirt.

bk

I now have this terrific image of a very well-dressed man all hooked up like a marrionette puppet.

He raises his arm to hail a cab and his leg lifts up at the same time and kicks the man next to him. It could almost be a "Mr. Beanesque" comedy skit, eh? lol

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
ThinkandDrive said:
I now have this terrific image of a very well-dressed man all hooked up like a marrionette puppet.

He raises his arm to hail a cab and his leg lifts up at the same time and kicks the man next to him. It could almost be a "Mr. Beanesque" comedy skit, eh? lol

hehehe.. actually sometimes it does feel a litle like that

This thread has me wondering about all the various traditional items of attire a Gentleman wear that are seriously unseen nowadays..

Sock suspenders are the obvious item
Underwear with brace tapes to keep them in place
Armbands to fold your sleeves 'just right"
detatchable collars.. and even more so, detachable cuffs
Monocles
union suits..

oh the list goes on

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Wow...

...I haven't thought about shirt stays for years. I wore them in the Air Force, but never since. My solution is simple:

• Drink a lot of coffee
  • Take a lot of leaks
  • Tuck your shirt while you are in the men's room

Works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou