Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirt garters?

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I guess that's the right term. I have heard that they make these 'garters' that attach your shirt to your socks to your shirt to keep them both pulled taught.
Anyone know of these?

Chad

The Wingnut

One Too Many
They work. A friend of mine is a crew chief at Travis AFB and he swears by those. He's constantly getting high marks for efficiency. His boots are always polished, shirt always bloused, tunic always pressed.

Only issue with those straps is sitting down and having them play hell with your pant legs at the knees. You have to make sure that your socks are high enough and your shirttail long enough to minimize it.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
An alternative...

I just use a little crazy glue. Course I've got lots of *raw* patches on my posterior, but I guarantee that your shirt tail stays put for as long as you want!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
On a somewhat related note...what about Sock garters? I mean the kind that connect to the socks by a clip and the other end wraps around the thick part of your calf. Does anyone here use these? Where could I buy these?

Sefton said:
On a somewhat related note...what about Sock garters? I mean the kind that connect to the socks by a clip and the other end wraps around the thick part of your calf. Does anyone here use these? Where could I buy these?

Yep, I always wear them with my suits. It keeps those damned socks from falling down and making you look ridiculous. Today's sock elastics stink. After a few washings you either throw them away or get out the sock garters. I use the sock garters. ;) A friend of mine even has this problem with DKNY socks and the like.
He also uses sock garters. Saves on the cost of new dress socks. :p You can find them brand new in the antique and second hand stores around here. I am surprised you haven't found any yet. It seems there are either too many people that like buying socks or they think sock garters are stocking garters for female midgets. :p I will have to ask my friend. He found a place that has plenty of them NOS in the packages! If he didn't buy them all there should still be some left. :kick:

Regards to all,

J

Corey

New in Town
We called them "shirt stays"

When I was in the Navy, we called these "shirt stays," not garters. And they do work, and the buckles *usually* don't chafe. When we were first issued them, our instructors told us to wear all four (two on the front of the shirt, two on the back) and wrap them around our legs. This certainly kept our shirttail in, but left some bald patches on the legs of the hairier members of my squad.

I eventually learned a far better method of using two, clipping one end just to the rear of the shirt's side seam and then pulling is straight down to the sock. I've even found myself wearing them again with my civilian suits during a recent round of job interviews. They do help you look a little sharper!

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Those look like a really good idea... I find especially these days, they don't make shirts with enough material in tail! I am perpetually dealing with a clump of fabric at the small of my back.

Bugsy

One Too Many
It is rare that I leave the house NOT wearing my calf garters. The gentleman is quite correct about modern elastic in socks. For those interested, you might go to www.cablecarclothiers.com. This is a very traditional men's store in San Francisco which specializes in English goods. They have a huge selection of Thurston garters from England in solids and stripes.

Bugsy said:
It is rare that I leave the house NOT wearing my calf garters. The gentleman is quite correct about modern elastic in socks. For those interested, you might go to www.cablecarclothiers.com. This is a very traditional men's store in San Francisco which specializes in English goods. They have a huge selection of Thurston garters from England in solids and stripes.

Sounds interesting. I have a suit from their establishment from quite a long time ago. How long have they been at that same location?

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou