Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Addiction...or Something Else......

Madalene Laurae

New in Town
I know a lot of ladies have shoe addictions....which I have a mild case of. But my real addiction are scarves. I have more than enough for the winter's here. If I see a cute one at a reasonable price, I will buy it, even if it is in summer. I just got this white knitted one with pom poms and ribbon on the end.

So what is your addiction!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
What's my addiction? Easy. My addiction is perfume.
I have hundred of beautiful bottles of perfume. I might not wear all but just staring at them makes me happy. :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I collect or have collected so many things--currently novelty print 1940's dresses are rather an obsession. I have a great silk scarf from the 1920's -- I'll try to post a picture.

Other things I have collected/do collect include; Old movie magazines, postcards, music sheets, chintz china (mostly reproduction--the original stuff is so dear), vintage jewelry, pre-1940 royalty commemoratives, books, vintage sewing patterns. Etcetera, etcetera!

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Art Deco hair combs and more recently I am getting into vintage compacts! I have been going crazy on eBay int he compacts lately. :eek:

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Oh goodness. My addiction is vintage dresses. Mostly from the late 30's - early 50's, especially if they nip in at the waist or are a really great color/print. I can never have enough. Of course, I never have enough money either. So I'm often looking longingly at Ebay, knowing I'll never bid!

Ah, tis the sad life of a broke college student!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
addictions.. too many...first and always it's shoes... second and always, purses... then it's smoking paraphernalia, ashtrays, lighters, matchbooks...cookie jars...little home knick knacks....Marine Corps stuff, Barbies... patterns... tons of hair adornments/bobby pins/rollers, etc etc....I get hooked easily, and it becomes a short lived obsession... then I'm broke for a long time until the next addiction rolls around.lol

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
A dear friend from years ago, Cheryl, made her own vintage dresses and had a MASSIVE shoe collection! (Making her own clothes freed money for the shoes. lol) She'd told me about her shoe collection, so one day when I was over for her parents' wedding anniversary, she showed them to me: The top of her closet was nothing but shoe boxes; the bottom, more shoe boxes stacked high enough to touch the hanging clothes; under the bed, even more boxes; stacked in the corners of her room . . . you get the idea.

Lee

By the way, her mother was Dot on the original Mickey Mouse Club.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My addiction is sewing patterns, both modern and vintage. I currently have 2 large Rubbermaid tubs, plus 2 standard sized pattern boxes of them. I have analyzed my addiction. The pattern addiction comes from the potential beautiful things that could be made from them. When I get a little down, I take out my patterns and think about the beautiful fabrics that could be used or how pretty the finished garment is. The wonder of pattern addiction is that most modern patterns only cost me $1.99 (I only buy them on sale), so it's cheap fantasy. The vintage patterns cost alot more, but it's the same fantasy.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm addicted to headbands and head scarves. But I RARELY wear them! It's like, if I see a great pattern I must have it. It's unexplainable.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I have to admit, I don't have any! For a few reasons.
Money: my husband and I are very frugal, out of necessity and out of principle. No consumer debt (other than cars), which we are very proud of.

Desire: I have to LOVE something before I will spend my frugal money on it :) Since I purchase things so rarely, I don't want buyers remorse. I usually pass by the item, and if I keep thinking about it, then I go back and purchase it.

Space: We have a small 800 sq ft apartment, which relates to being frugal (again, principle and necessity). So I just don't have space to put any collections. If I can't think of a place that I will be able to store the item, I won't buy it. The last thing I want is to be tripping over my new purchase as it sits in the middle of my floor staring at me and taunting me over my lack of storage.

Baby: With my husband in his Masters, 3 months of unpaid maternity leave looming in our future, and all the baby's needs, things I want have to take a back seat.

For many years, though, my addiction was King Arthur books. It didn't matter how ridiculous or space-agey they were, if the book was about King Arthur, I owned it :rolleyes: But that was about 6 or 7 years ago.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I'm obsessed with collect little metal reproductions of buildings. My friends all bring me from their travels as easy gifts and I look for them when scouring antique malls. Relatively cheap as far as obsessions go. I think I have hundreds by now.
And vintage purses. Every color. Mainly 50s-60s. I have them on vintage drawer pull plaques all the way up my stairwell. It makes me smiling thinking I have an option for every outfit.
I love vintage dresses but alas I am usually too big to buy the ones I truly adore.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I didn't realize how much of a shoe addiction I had until this past weekend, actually, when I dived into my long-postponed plan to clean out my closet. Underneath the dust and debris I found bin after bin of shoes that haven't seen the light of day in years, most of them acquired back when I was making good money and when I couldn't resist anything that looked reasonably vintage and fit my foot. I've had to develop a lot more self-discipline since then, of course, but I still feel the pull...

Kishtu

Practically Family
Earrings, apparently!

I say "apparently" because I keep finding them all over the house... I must have literally hundreds of pairs, long ones, sparkly ones, silver ones, pearl ones, diamante ones....

and half the time I don't even wear the dmn things!

But I do like to look at them :)

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
I have a collection of old Kentucky Derby glasses. I have about 160 of them (some I have more for each year). I know it's not all vintage 40's and 50's but who doesn't love Triple Crown winners ???

As for other collections, I love dresses but I can't seem to find many in my size. You lovely ladies all seem to find these GEMS... and all I find are frumpy ones :(

lonestarcasie

New in Town
kamikat said:
My addiction is sewing patterns, both modern and vintage. I currently have 2 large Rubbermaid tubs, plus 2 standard sized pattern boxes of them. I have analyzed my addiction. The pattern addiction comes from the potential beautiful things that could be made from them. When I get a little down, I take out my patterns and think about the beautiful fabrics that could be used or how pretty the finished garment is. The wonder of pattern addiction is that most modern patterns only cost me $1.99 (I only buy them on sale), so it's cheap fantasy. The vintage patterns cost alot more, but it's the same fantasy.

I'm addicted to patterns and fabric. And now I have amassed so much unused of each that I MUST NOT buy any more until I make what I have. But Ebay is a cruel goddess and she tempts me...;)

Kishtu

Practically Family
lonestarcasie said:
I'm addicted to patterns and fabric. And now I have amassed so much unused of each that I MUST NOT buy any more until I make what I have.

Hmmmmm, I feel your pain as if it were my own..... actually..... it is my own!

Excess of sympathy from this quarter. Because I do it for half-a-living I can justify buying as much fabric and patterns as I can afford lol which is not as much as I'd like!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
lonestarcasie said:
I'm addicted to patterns and fabric. And now I have amassed so much unused of each that I MUST NOT buy any more until I make what I have.

I've had to put the same restriction on myself!lol
I may have to break it though since I have a friend having a baby and no pink fabric to make a blanket from. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles