Shoe cleaning advice for a first timer?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Roen, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Roen

Roen New in Town

Hello,

Recently, I had to wear my AE Fifth Avenues in Dark Brown in a slightly muddy and salted environment. It has just snowed at a conference I was attending, and by the time I arrived, the parking lot had already been salted. I made a short walk from the car to the conference center, but did end up getting some mud and salt on the shoes. I immediately went into a restroom, took a wet paper towel and got rid of any surface stains.

I had already followed the advice on how to prep your new shoes. I applied a coat of Renovateur, followed by a coat of Saphir Medaille d'Or Cream Polish, followed by a thin coat of Saphir Medaille d'Or Pate de Luxe Wax Polish and then applied a mirror shine on the toe cap using a combination of Pate de Luxe and Mirror Gloss.

When I arrived home, I took the shoes off and took off any loose dirt with a horsehair brush. Now I'm a bit stumped as to how to clean the shoe. It doesn't have residual stains, to the naked eye.

A couple of questions:

1. Is Renovateur a good cleaner in this case, or should I look for a saddle soap? I also have Renomat available to me.

2. What's the best way to clean on top of a mirror shine? As I understand, Renovateur and Cream Polishes won't penetrate the wax layer.
    Any responses and other tips that you guys might have would be very much appreciated!

2. HatNut-Jack

HatNut-Jack New in Town

You might try using saddle soap, wipe clean, dry and repolish.

3. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think that you dodged the worst bullet of 'salt stains'. I stay away from saddle soap on shoes that I want a military shine. I just use a separate cloth....100% cotton soft t shirt or underwear (clean) and spit or water to clean the leather of any grime. I use a tooth brush to clean the welt area of any build up of grime or salt and to clean any seamed or brogan area. Then let dry, perhaps even overnight, and start the process all over again.

Short Balding Guy likes this.
  4. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

I use Bick #1 for cleaning, then Bick #4 for treating the leather.

I don't "baby" shoes or boots. Wear them and enjoy them. :)

5. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

If I drop $500+ on a pair of dress shoes I am going to baby them somewhat....or at least take real good care of them by doing the proper maintenance to keep them looking good. Just seems like the prudent thing to do.

6. Ernest P Shackleton

Ernest P Shackleton Practically Family

I'm with the damp rag crowd. Keep rinsing, but just good old water. If you're getting stains from a single situation, I would consider the leather of poor quality. And at $500, they better be more hardy than that. Taking care of things is one matter, but having to be paranoid about actually using something is a whole other deal.

7. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Stay away from saddle soaps. Many contain ingredients harmful to leather and stitching.

belfastboy likes this.