Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes for work

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Puzzicato said:
Those wedges are nice! My husband lives in Merrells, but I hadn't realised they did nice shoes for women.

They do!

Not everyone finds them comfy...but if they 'match' your feet so to speak, they are super comfy.

I have leg and feet issues (slight birth defect) and my shoe choices are limited to ones that are indeed super comfy, as my walking range in comfy shoes is limited..in heels or anything else, it moves down to an unworkable amount.

and when things like Naturalizers hurt for every day all day wear....severely limited shoe choice...

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Aris Allen

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but for an affordable option, try Aris Allen swing dance shoes.

I am on my feet at work all day, on concrete floors, and these shoes feel great. Since they are dancing shoes, you'll eventually have to get them re-soled with regular leather bottoms instead of the velvet, but I haven't had to do that for most of my pairs yet. I once had to add some gel inserts to a pair once I wore down the padding on the inside, but that's it.

Prices range from $30-$80 - and in my opinion, with comfort and holding up well to wear and tear, they are worth every penny and more.

Here's another link for purchasing.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
If you want to keep your shoes and invest in a pair of insoles, I'd highly recommend Orthosoles. They've got adjustable pieces for your arch and the ball of your foot, so you can vary the firmness. I used them when I played roller derby and LOVED them. I can't say enough good things about them. Now I use them in my 12-year old Doc Marten boots and they make those comfy, too - I was ready to cave and buy new Docs because my old ones hurt my feet.

http://www.orthosole.com/max_cushion_womens.php

shebagrl

Familiar Face
Opal said:
Hello, I'm new and haven't even gotten around to introducing myself, but I had to reply because I've had the same issue finding good work shoes. The best shoes that I've found for comfort are Danskos. In keeping with a vintage look, they do have mary jane styles and I have their version of a wingtip oxford. I think I could walk around the world in those things! They're not cheap, but certainly well worth the price, imho. I hope you recover from your injury soon!

I second Dansko -- I have a pair of black Dansko Professional closed-back clogs and adore them. They have no-slip bottoms, which certainly helps. I have to visit a chiropractor regularly for lower back pain and have had surgery before on one foot...it's no fun to admit, but a good, sturdy, comfortable shoe is worth its weight in gold these days!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
If you aren't averse to a housewife/nurse type of shoe, check out Clinics -- they're my official shoe for work when I know I'm going to be on my feet all night. They have especially solid arch support, and they wear forever.

How are the sizes with these shoes?

I'm confused -- In the 90s I wore I solid size 10. In the 2000s I all of a sudden wore a 9. I just recently went to try on some shoes and I wore an 8. Are they vanity sizing shoes now? lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Amy Jeanne said:

I'm confused -- In the 90s I wore I solid size 10. In the 2000s I all of a sudden wore a 9. I just recently went to try on some shoes and I wore an 8. Are they vanity sizing shoes now? lol

Indelicate question...but did you weigh more then?

I lost 20 pounds and went down at least one shoe size.....

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Indelicate question...but did you weigh more then?

I lost 20 pounds and went down at least one shoe size.....

Nope. I was anorexic for most of the 90s. I was "normal weight" in the 2000s. I've put on 15 lbs now in 2010.

But as for the Merrell platform shoes -- I have them and love them!! They are my favourite shoes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Amy Jeanne said:

Clinics tend to run pretty true to their marked size. According to the Brannock Device I'm a 9 1/2, but I find that a 10 avoids pinched toes.

I own a pair of British-sized Clarks pumps in size 8, and they're actually a little big. Sometimes I sit with my feet up when I'm wearing them so people can see for themselves how itty my feet are.

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Tatum,
Lizzie is spot on about the Coquettes. It is a good shoe. In addition the Coquette, I wear the Trinket by P. W. Minor. http://www.pwminor.com/Products/Detail/?ProductID=16. I like the looks of these shoes they are kind of retro. They look like they are from what I guess to be from the fifties, I believe Lizze Maine, could pin point the era she is the expert. The Trinket have an incredibly wide range of sizes. It is like wearing a custom made shoe. The down side is that they are kind of pricey and come in only one color black. I wear them with both retro and modern outfits.

Lizzie, I checked out the Clinic Pert on line, that shoe looks like it would be incredibly comfortable also. Do you think that it could be dyed. I would really like to have that shoe in a brown/russett and deep red/burgandy.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lovely Leah said:
Tatum,
Lizzie is spot on about the Coquettes. It is a good shoe. In addition the Coquette, I wear the Trinket by P. W. Minor. http://www.pwminor.com/Products/Detail/?ProductID=16. I like the looks of these shoes they are kind of retro. They look like they are from what I guess to be from the fifties, I believe Lizze Maine, could pin point the era she is the expert. The Trinket have an incredibly wide range of sizes. It is like wearing a custom made shoe. The down side is that they are kind of pricey and come in only one color black. I wear them with both retro and modern outfits.

Lizzie, I checked out the Clinic Pert on line, that shoe looks like it would be incredibly comfortable also. Do you think that it could be dyed. I would really like to have that shoe in a brown/russett and deep red/burgandy.

I also have a pair of Trinkets, and they're everything Leah says they are -- they're very much the style of a housewife oxford that could harmonize with any era from the mid-thirties to the early sixties. They're built with a very deep footbed, to accomodate orthotic inserts, so if your feet give you trouble this is an excellent choice of a shoe.

I've never tried dyeing the Perts -- but they're ordinary smooth white leather, so I don't see why you couldn't do it.

It's very very hard to find a decent pair of brown everyday shoes. I tried a pair of repro WAC oxfords from What Price Glory (a WW2 reenactor outfitter) but they're very stiff even after being broken in. Clinic stopped making the Coquette in brown a few years ago, but Shoe King in Canada still has the brown ones in stock -- I got a new pair this past spring. That brown was almost Army Russet -- a warm reddish brown, not the blackish brown that's more common nowadays.

Tatum

Practically Family
I had the doc take a look, and he said that I probably hypo-extended the joint when I fell. He put me on Aleve and Flector (sp?) patches, and it has made a huge improvement.

I am definitely going to look into the Coquettes, and the Trinkets as well; I think I can get them both locally, so I can go try them on and see what I think. I hate buying shoes without trying them on!

However, I think I am going to have to get a pair of Aris Allens at some point, as I can't get them out of my head! So pretty...

Tatum

Practically Family
I couldn't stand it, I had to order these, on sale and the sizes were limited!

2055-BW-1.jpg

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
Tatum said:
I couldn't stand it, I had to order these, on sale and the sizes were limited!

2055-BW-1.jpg

Oh YAY! Cute!

Let us know how they work out once you get them.

I just got the wing tips and since you also said you liked them, just FYI - they seem to run a half size too big. Maybe it's the pointy toes? And the white parts of it are mesh. Good for not getting sweaty feet dancing, not so good if you want your feet warm in cold climates.

Amy

New in Town
I worked as a barmaid and waitress...

...And I swore by ballerina flats and loafers (look to nurses for inspiration here). Make sure they have a good supportive sole, and change your shoes every few hours for another pair (I had about 1/2 a dozen pairs in my locker) of a different style. It really makes all the difference! You might want to think about a wider shoe for later on in your shift if your shoes tend to feel tight then, too.

You could also consider raising the end of your bed with a few big books (to help drain excess fluid, if you're prone) and putting your feet up for half an hour when you get home (such a chore!). I tried to look after my feet (removing callouses and hard skin when neeed. Actually, that's good for all of us!), and used tiger balm or alcohol gel to refresh my feet after work before meeting friends.

Hope this helps!

A

Tatum

Practically Family
jillybeanlynn said:
Oh YAY! Cute!

Let us know how they work out once you get them.

I just got the wing tips and since you also said you liked them, just FYI - they seem to run a half size too big. Maybe it's the pointy toes? And the white parts of it are mesh. Good for not getting sweaty feet dancing, not so good if you want your feet warm in cold climates.

Mesh? Interesting! How do they look with dark stockings? I'm waiting in anticipation for mine to arrive...I told the owner (the one that sends me home to put on a dress, hehe) and she was as excited as I am! I am so lucky that my style is encouraged where I work :)

Paisley said:
Clarks is hard to beat for comfort and quality at a reasonable price.

Here's a nice mary jane on sale:

http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Rhea-Black-mary-janes/dp/B002TIM9OQ

I have this pair and they're super comfortable:

http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Unstructured-Womens-Un-Blend-Loafer/dp/B002GKB2AY/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_3

Those are super cute too! Too bad the sales pair isn't my size. I'll have to look for some locally, my mom swears by Clark's too.

Amy said:
You could also consider raising the end of your bed with a few big books (to help drain excess fluid, if you're prone) and putting your feet up for half an hour when you get home (such a chore!). I tried to look after my feet (removing callouses and hard skin when neeed. Actually, that's good for all of us!), and used tiger balm or alcohol gel to refresh my feet after work before meeting friends.

Hope this helps!

A

Biofreeze is my best friend, actually!

Brooksie

One Too Many
I will chime in here about the Dansko's...I have had nothing but foot problems since my early 20's (I worked as a hairstylist for 9 years standing on cement,linoleoum, and tile floors) my feet KILLED me until I had jobs where I was not standing. Now fast forward to now I am 42 and the jobs I have had for the past couple of years I have been able to sit but even though I am sitting my feet still KILL me. So I have invested in two pairs of Dansko clogs the red Mary Jane style and the solid black with the closed in back. They have made a BIG huge difference.... Now here is the cool "vintage clog story" I like to tell. My grandpa on my mom's side was a shoe maker and he made clogs (with the closed back) during WWII for the Rosie the Rivetors. My mom was in junior high and high school during the war and her dad made her clogs in every color of the rainbow to go with all of her outfits. The clogs he made looked just like the Dansko's only with a wooden sole that was nailed on and not stapled. So not only are they very comfortable (they are my saving grace - I also worked a restaurant for a couple of years a few years ago - more cement floors and they were they only things I could wear that would not cause me pain and agony!) but they are also period correct.

Tatum

Practically Family
Reporting in...

They came today, I wore them to work tonight, and other than having to break them in, they are just what I wanted! Soooo comfortable! Everyone loved them, one of our guy bartenders now wants black and white wingtips, and our owner joked about making them required footwear!

lareine

A-List Customer
Tatum said:
They came today, I wore them to work tonight, and other than having to break them in, they are just what I wanted! Soooo comfortable! Everyone loved them, one of our guy bartenders now wants black and white wingtips, and our owner joked about making them required footwear!
Those shoes are gorgeous, and I really want a pair now. I understand they have suede soles and are really meant for dancing rather than general use -- do you find that the soles make any difference to you? I wonder how easy it would be to have them re-soled with something more durable than leather (e.g. plastic) for everyday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk