Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes To Wear With Black Tie Ensemble

Which shoe?

• Shoe 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shoe 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
You know,I may look in to that.My only fear is that it may look a bit improvised.

bigshoe said:
There is a device known as as a "bow stapler or side seam stapler" that you will find at an old repair shop. They were made to replace bows and frills on pumps. If you can find silk bows they can be stapled on or sewn on the acetate ones can not as they will rip or tear.

The original patent for patent leather (1840s) was to build up coats of shellac and black dye powder on the back side of leather. It also cracked but could be repaired with some lacquer thinner and another coat of shellac. All modern patent leathers are sprayed on polyurethane coatings usualy on top of synthetic leather and cracks can not be fixed
Tom

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Okay - I know that these are the it shoes for formal attire (#1). But it makes me laugh - because they are well "shoes." Originally, my understanding is that men wore their actual shoes to the theatre - then changed into well - as you can see - basically slippers for comfort during the show. But hey, my books on such things could be wrong. Anyway, I choose shoe number 1.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
When a woman speaks man should listen. :)

:D ;) ~~~

But,back to the pump, pomp or court shoe, with the little bow on top ?

... "this shoe would have been worn by the gentleman who was to be received at the royal court in the 19th century. such gentleman would have appeared in knee breeches...Today knee breeches are gone, the cut of the coat has changed, the necktie is different... The plain toe, patent leather or highly shined calf blucher or oxford is the most appropiate and suitable substitute. Another option is ridiculous."

Then again, if it means so much to you flinkmaniac .... by all means... do wear the said pumps.:)

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
This is a later style shoe than the one worn with knee breeches technically - though the roots of the style are of said shoe. I believe the trend for opera shoes was 1850's and later - I am not sure about into the twentieth century. I am digging in the three or four historic costume books I have been ready of late to find the exact reference.

I think that if a gentlemen wore a pump for a formal event - that those in the know would think it agreeable - those not in the know would think he probably knew something they didn't. Especially if worn with confidence. I really feel that formal wear has lost its luster over the years. It makes me hot under the collar that people show up to symphonies in sweats - yes sweats - I saw it personally. But, also that the performers (gentlemen aside as they typically wear a tux) show up in slacks I wouldn't let my dog sleep on and nasty white shirts that would look bad on a runway model. Where is the pride, the sense of tradition, or simply self-respect? I applaud anyone willing to dress to the nines for a worthwhile event.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have two pairs: calf pumps with grosgrain bows and plain toe calf wholecuts, both shined to a near patent finish. I generally wear the pumps with my DB tux and the Oxford/Balmorals with my SB tux; Don't ask me why.[huh]

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Mrs. Merl said:
Especially if worn with confidence.

:eek:fftopic: So true... Oscar Wilde knew how to carry them well! ( I think...)
indelible_mainmay04.jpg

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I agree wholeheartedly!

I really feel that formal wear has lost its luster over the years. It makes me hot under the collar that people show up to symphonies in sweats - yes sweats - I saw it personally. But, also that the performers (gentlemen aside as they typically wear a tux) show up in slacks I wouldn't let my dog sleep on and nasty white shirts that would look bad on a runway model. Where is the pride, the sense of tradition, or simply self-respect? I applaud anyone willing to dress to the nines for a worthwhile event.[/QUOTE]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pumps are usually paired with tails. A plain or plain cap toe laced oxford with black tie.

Pumps are shown in many early Esquire/Apparel Arts illustrations (but I can't find the darn things atm)

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
bigshoe said:
There is a device known as as a "bow stapler or side seam stapler" that you will find at an old repair shop. They were made to replace bows and frills on pumps. If you can find silk bows they can be stapled on or sewn on the acetate ones can not as they will rip or tear.

Do you know of any cobblers with said device?

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
Most old established repair shops have one laying around in the back. Many cowboy boot makers still use them and they show up on ebay from time to time. Any shoe shop should be able to sew them on with a patch machine.
Tom

Edward

Bartender
scotrace said:
Pumps are usually paired with tails. A plain or plain cap toe laced oxford with black tie.

That would be my own feeling. I prefer a classy lace-up in either case, myself, but I do tend to the opinion that the pump is only really appropriate with white tie, and wearing it with black tie would be like wearing a white bow tie with a dj. YMMV, naturally.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
bigshoe said:
Most old established repair shops have one laying around in the back. Many cowboy boot makers still use them and they show up on ebay from time to time. Any shoe shop should be able to sew them on with a patch machine.
Tom

Hm,I'll have to look in to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou