Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes To Wear With Black Tie Ensemble

Which shoe?

• Shoe 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shoe 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Well,my continuing quest to put together the perfect classic black tie enesemble continues,this time the shoes are the focus of my inquiry.

Which shoe would you choose?

Shoe 1:

http://www.giorgiobrutini.com/catalog/product.cfm?CFID=316398&CFTOKEN=34791431&categoryid=Dress%20Shoes&style=7827&color=1-1&waid=_b

My only real beef with these shoes is that they aren't true opera pumps,and I'm also fairly sure they aren't resoleable.

Shoe 2:

http://www.buy4lesstuxedo.com//ROMA-by-Frederico-Leone-3829.html

I'm sure that these aren't resoleable either.Another problem,I've heard that patent leather (at least the PL in my price range),is prone to cracking,so I may go with these (as per my original plan):

http://www.giorgiobrutini.com/catalog/product.cfm?CFID=316398&CFTOKEN=34791431&categoryid=Dress%20Shoes&style=7827&waid=_b&color=1&o_line=0

Anyone care to opine?

Edit-Sorry!I forgot to to make votes public.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Miss Neecerie said:
and I was just lured in by the title...thinking maybe you were coming up with a new way to wear two ties at once....one around -back-

I changed the title so as to avoid any more confusion.I also forgot to add a third poll option (100+ posts and I'm still making newbie mistakes :eusa_doh: ).

Geesie

Practically Family
I just recently bought that first pair you mentioned. I know they're not true pumps, but they're the closest thing I could find AND afford.

Oh, and if that second pair is anything like the military patent leather shoes they will scuff and crack terribly. I wear spit-shined leathers instead.

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Black Tie

I would go with the slipons ... especially the soft calf ones in black. The Patented Leather ones(G.Brutini) are killer on the ankles after an hour or two.

I wore tie shoes once with my dinner suit and then realized why look like the rest - go with the best. Slipon shoes. I alternate between velvet dress slippers and bowed patent leather(cole haan which cost me a pretty penny many a year ago)

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Geesie said:
I just recently bought that first pair you mentioned. I know they're not true pumps, but they're the closest thing I could find AND afford.

Oh, and if that second pair is anything like the military patent leather shoes they will scuff and crack terribly. I wear spit-shined leathers instead.

I think I will go for the Brutini pumps in calfskin.It would be nice if there were a place to get the bows needed for opera pumps,and then just take them to a cobbler to have the necessary slits cut into the shoe and attach the bow.I know the vamp is a bit high,but higher vamp opera pumps do exist.Case in point:

moreschishoes_com_calf_pumps_high_vampB.jpg

Geesie

Practically Family
My mistake - I got the leathers, not the patent leather Brutinis. I will never wear plastic shoes again.

And about your idea - do you think that just getting a length of grosgrain ribbon and making it into a bow would work?

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
There is a device known as as a "bow stapler or side seam stapler" that you will find at an old repair shop. They were made to replace bows and frills on pumps. If you can find silk bows they can be stapled on or sewn on the acetate ones can not as they will rip or tear.

The original patent for patent leather (1840s) was to build up coats of shellac and black dye powder on the back side of leather. It also cracked but could be repaired with some lacquer thinner and another coat of shellac. All modern patent leathers are sprayed on polyurethane coatings usualy on top of synthetic leather and cracks can not be fixed
Tom

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well Hadley, you're a lot of help! lol

Black patent leather pumps with a bow are the thing to wear with formal attire, especially with red silk hose.

So there!

David V

A-List Customer
HadleyH said:
Oh my! they look like ladies shoes! .... but if you are lucky nobody will notice them! [huh]

Rather the ladies have stolen another article of mens wear.

I have the slip-on in calf for my black tie rig.

I'd love a lower vamped and bowed pump...but my pockets are not that full.

Let me also add that although the photo of the calf model shows some wrinkling mine have none.

GWD

One Too Many
From what I've read, Black Patent Leather Pumps (with the bow) are the proper black tie formal shoe. #1 would be the right choice, although they look pretty uncomfortable.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I know the pumps are "correct" but I still like the lace ups. I've also seen shoes that were combination calf and patent leather. They were cap toes, with a pattern of calf and patent comparable to spectators. (But all black.)
I seem to recall seeing Fred Astaire dance in cap toes. I can't imagine being able to tap dance in pumps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara