Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shorpy All Stars

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
The photo looks, to my eye, to have been made on a Washington, DC street. The store sign visible on the far side of the street is a local retailer, still in business. According to the obituary of Madeline Rizik Curry, her father and uncle(s?) opened the store in 1908. It is now located on Connecticut Avenue.
Good eye, KN, I forgot to include the location, and you are correct, it is DC.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
One of these kids is Pete Seeger. His parents were traveling musicians, taking the family with them and living in their car (or in a tent beside the road). From 1921:

SHORPY_31241a.jpg

Indeed the definition of a music-family! The lady in the picture is no doubt Pete's biological mother, concert violinist Constance. The gentleman in the car could very well be his father, Charles - who taught music and composition. The two other boys are probably his older brothers, Charles and John.

His parents divorced, and Charles later married his former student, composer Ruth Crawford. They had three children Peggy, Mike and Penny, who all shared the musical gene. Peggy played mainly 5-string banjo and mountain dulcimer, and had the voice of a nightingale. Mike was a member of the legendary The New Lost City Ramblers, playing fiddle, 5-string, guitar, mandolin and autoharp. Penny married John Cohen, folklorist and guitar picker in The NLCR.

The family was simply steeped in music - whether it be folk or scored music! Very rare, indeed.

PS: The picture is most likely taken while the family was on a "tour" through the South, campaining for music among Southern working folks. Lovely vintage camper/trailer :)

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
I am amused by the guy in the boater and the black guy behind him both standing aside and waiting for the photographer to be finished before moving on down the street. Who thinks today that everyone would just push on by without the kindness of waiting for a stranger to finish his photo before going about his business?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's one of a not so distant cousin to my wife. Jack Dempsey, (Heavyweight Boxing Champ), seen here wearing something of a full flat cap. Not the typical 8 panel Newsboy cap. My wife's Great Grandmother was Jack Dempsey's Aunt and a sister to Devil Anse Hatfield.

wwfi.jpg

hatguy1

One Too Many
I am amused by the guy in the boater and the black guy behind him both standing aside and waiting for the photographer to be finished before moving on down the street. Who thinks today that everyone would just push on by without the kindness of waiting for a stranger to finish his photo before going about his business?

That so just boils my blood when people walk right into the path/field of view of someone obviously taking a picture of something.

viclip

Practically Family
Washington, D.C., 1923. "Asst. P.M.G. Bartlett's car." Assistant Postmaster General John Bartlett survived; his car, also seen here, did not.

I don't know what's more amazing, the extent of the wreckage or the vintage hats. Just from looking at this old photo I can discern the quality of the dress hats being worn by the men in the crowd.

fedoracentric

Banned
I don't know what's more amazing, the extent of the wreckage or the vintage hats. Just from looking at this old photo I can discern the quality of the dress hats being worn by the men in the crowd.

Also notice how none of those brims seem to be bigger than 2-1/4. If you were to use many TV shows or movies for evidence everyone in 1923 would have 2-1/2 to 2-7/8 inch brims!!
;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL