Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Highwayman Jacket

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's because of the type pants that you are wearing dan_t...or you may have a shorter torso than many of us other 6' 2" guys.
HD

Could be. Pants and torso size make a huge difference. But I've also seen that sometimes the way patterns/seams are cut and consequently the way the jacket falls on you can make an inch or so difference.

dan_t

Practically Family
This one baffled me HD.
My proportions are fairly 'normal' & I wouldn't say that I have a particularly short, or long for that matter torso / legs.
The pants are a regular sized 42 suit, which sit at the waist, exactly the same as any of the jeans I wear. The on,y visual difference being the pockets are placed higher than the jeans -which does make some difference to the appearance, even though the belt is in the same position.

I guess I was trying to demonstrate that sometimes, a fit is best determined by wearing the particular jacket in question (if at all,possible), rather than just basing it on numbers.
For clarity, I have now sold this jacket as I did feel it was at least 1" too short for me.....

I'm 6'2" and a 24" length jacket wouldn't even cover my belt on the jeans that I wear which aren't really low rise. My made to measure jackets from Aero are all 26 1/2 " in length and fit just above the back pockets on my jeans.
HD

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I think it's a matter of taste. Dan's jacket looks like a perfect length to my eyes while I find HD's too long. I am 186, so about 6'1.5" and my 30s half belt is 24.5". My torso is slightly shorter compared to my lower body and if anything, I find my jacket is bordering on the long rather than on the short side.

dan_t

Practically Family
Completely agree with you there HD.
That's why I mentioned that I was baffled. The AL was measured at 24" & sat at (almost) the same spot in relation to the pockets on those pants as my Aero, which is 26.5".
There's no photo trickery going on here & the pants were not pulled up in the first image above.
To illustrate, here's the Aero with an additional 2.5" in back length (26.5").
The only explanation that I can think of is that the Aero goat is still very stiff & is yet to soften & 'drape' as designed.

Aero1930sHalfBeltFit3_zps27d759c1.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It's a mystery. I am also 6'2" with short torso in relation to my height but like HD need 26.5" back.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think it's a matter of taste. Dan's jacket looks like a perfect length to my eyes while I find HD's too long. I am 186, so about 6'1.5" and my 30s half belt is 24.5". My torso is slightly shorter compared to my lower body and if anything, I find my jacket is bordering on the long rather than on the short side.

What length looks best is indeed a question of taste but the key question here is why does a particular length of jacket sit different on two people of the same height. I had a 1930's Aero half-belt that was only a little over 25 inches at the back and it came to the almost the same place as my 26.5 inch Johnson half-belt. I still think how a pattern fits is more than length but also how it rests on the torso. Normally 25 inches would sit over my belt but the Aero rested just on the top of the back pocket.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner