Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Sleeved Dress Shirts With a Suit?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MrBern said:
Id rather see men in short sleeve & ties, than rumpled w/ long sleeves rolled up & ties loosened.
482209235_827a75d0ae.jpg

Ties loosened a bit and sleeves rolled up is acceptable. Rumpled or not. It's not about comfort, it's about what's proper and correct for the occasion.

Maguire

Practically Family
I wear shortsleeves at work but now its more than necessary because i bike over there. In general i definitely agree that long sleeves are more appropriate -

Has anyone seen office space? quite a few characters wear short sleeves (including the human resources guy) yet they wear them with suspenders, tie bars, etc. i don't know if this was done for humor but it certainly looks odd .

Maguire said:
I wear shortsleeves at work but now its more than necessary because i bike over there. In general i definitely agree that long sleeves are more appropriate -

Has anyone seen office space? quite a few characters wear short sleeves (including the human resources guy) yet they wear them with suspenders, tie bars, etc. i don't know if this was done for humor but it certainly looks odd .

It was most definitely for humor. I laughed at it a lot. :D

frijoli

One of the Regulars
PenMan said:
So have we established a rule yet? After all, I come here to discover and conform to the rules. Unless told otherwise by loungers, I'm going to try to find a short sleeve shirt (not sure I have any) and wear it with a tie. In fact, if I am told otherwise, then I really will do it. The ONLY decent argument I can think of against it is that it won't show any cuff under the jacket, which is even more problematic now that shorter (i.e. correct length) jacket sleeves are in style again. Maybe I can get a piece of cloth stitched to my suitcoat sleeves to give the appearance of a l/s shirt for when I have the jacket on.

I do short sleeve with a tie. But always wear a long sleeve when jacketed.
Clay

Maguire

Practically Family
I went to work as such today, i figure its worth posting in this thread. you can criticize away, but in this heat its necessary, and as i said earlier, photo machiens get very hot, making it even worse. they give us short sleeve and long sleeve labcoats, but naturally i'm not going to wear a long sleeve shirt with a short sleeve labcoat, that's absurd (although pharmacists at my job seem to do it all the time).

DSCF0896.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I do not like them and I do not own one or plan to own one in the future...

Having said that... a few years back I used to work in the DC area and where I worked we had set dates when we could wear "summer attire" for those long, hot, brutal, humid DC summers and work in khakis and collared shirt, instead of coat and tie.

However, that summer attire period was only for a few weeks in the middle of summer so during the hot, hot months of June, and August (the worst in DC) we still had to wear coat and tie. My wardrobe at the time was limited, but I had some horrible short sleeved dress shirts I was given as presents.

I have to admit that during the really hot days in August I resorted to what I always had previously called "The Tool Uniform" the white short sleeved dress shirt with tie, and a jacket over... Yes, yes, that nightmare that brings up a horrible mish mash of "Falling Down," "Apollo 13" and officer Bud White. All I needed was horn rimmed glasses and a pocket protector, I looked and felt like a tool. I even resorted to that other horrible habit of carrying my jacket or blazer while walking to work... Hopefully no pictures will ever surface...

BUT: It was cooler than a long sleeved shirt and I did not have extra money for summer clothes at the time.

I have to say in hindsight, and if you don't mind spending some money there are better solutions: linen or warm weight jackets and suits, nice quality cotton long sleeved shirts (those Jos. A Bank 'Stay cool' shirts are life savers!). While the short sleeved shirt worked, I won't do it again...

ortega76

Practically Family
I don't own any short-sleeved dress shirts but then I'm not required to wear a coat and tie to work (I just prefer to do so). In the summer, I still wear a longsleeved shirt to cover my forearm tattoos.

Chasseur said:
"The Tool Uniform" the white short sleeved dress shirt with tie, and a jacket over... "Falling Down," "Apollo 13" and officer Bud White. All I needed was horn rimmed glasses and a pocket protector, I looked and felt like a tool.

It is (was) a sub-culture of engineers, police officers and lower to middle management that by and large was what made a lot of things work in this country. They were very competent and capable people and I have always admired them for the work that they did.

While it was not the greatest fashion in the world it did convey the idea of SERVICE and DUTY which is sadly lacking in this era.

Also you forgot slide ruler, I recall a story of a small engineering firm where the top guy also did the payroll and figured everyone's paycheck and deductions using a slider ruler in those precalculator days.

Besides it could have been worse, you could have had a job where they made you wear the pirate costume or dress like a big chicken.:eek:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
John,

Just being tougue in check with my above comments. I have nothing but admiration for that group of people and I am fortunate to work with people like that on a daily basis.

Back when I was a dishwasher I had a uniform that was almost as bad as the chicken outfit, it was this strange "gangsta" kitchen outfit... A standard kitchen worker uniform: black pants, white shirt, hat, that was cut to resemble urban fashion of the time. I guess they were trying to make it "more cool"...

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I seem to remember...

...years ago that some of the older guys I worked with wore short sleeved shirts with ties in the Summer. Most of them were in suits and were usually in their jackets unless they were in their private offices working. This was done in conjunction with summer weight seersucker or poplin suits.

I took it to be a habitual hangover from pre a/c days.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
*yucky* That one will keep me awake tonight. For what it's worth, I had a short sleeve "dress" shirt once, but of course I was seven and didn't know any better at the time.

Bugsy said:
:eusa_doh:
Wear a short sleeved shirt with a coat and tie!!?? I'd rather make love to aardvark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner