Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Sleeved Dress Shirts With a Suit?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
PenMan said:
Maybe I can get a piece of cloth stitched to my suitcoat sleeves to give the appearance of a l/s shirt for when I have the jacket on.
Just get a set of cuffs like Gloria's. ;)

a_gloria_steinem_as_playboy_bunnie.jpg

Maguire

Practically Family
Atticus Finch said:
Never should a short sleeved dress shirt be worn with a suit or sport coat. They are, however, acceptable wear with a plastic pocket protector and an Uzi.

image021.jpg

AF
This is exactly how i go to work. Same shirt, pants, pocket protector.. even the glasses. i always find it funny when i'm driving to work on a hot day and the traffic is bad..

I wear it to work during the summer but i hate short sleeve shirts, the only acceptable short sleeve shirts are guayaberas frankly.. and there is no excuse for those outside of Cuba.

another thing- i've seen so many films where weather doesn't seem to factor into dress at all. godfather II has al pacino in a full three piece in cuba, Lords of War had nicholas cage in a black three piece all over africa.. how is that possible ? most people will think you're insane just wearing a long sleeve shirt in that kind of heat.

donCarlos

Practically Family
MrBern said:
you could wear a long sleeve dress shirt w/ a short sleeve jkt.

...PICTURES...
Oh, and I was anxious about length of my pants and sleeves... I´m wiser now lol
(how far will this go???)

Edward

Bartender
Maguire said:
another thing- i've seen so many films where weather doesn't seem to factor into dress at all. godfather II has al pacino in a full three piece in cuba, Lords of War had nicholas cage in a black three piece all over africa.. how is that possible ? most people will think you're insane just wearing a long sleeve shirt in that kind of heat.

If Michael Douglas (aka the slimiest man in Hollywood) does it, then it must be wrong. :p

Was Cage's suit linen? That'd make it fine, even if it was black (actually though I can't remember the details now, I believe a scientific study proved some years ago that it is the fabric and cut that counts - the myth that black clothes are warmer than lighter colours, attract more heat, is just that - a myth). I'd certainly try the jacket in that heat myself - In the present hot and sunny weather here in London, I'm wearing cotton gloves, undershirt, long sleeve shirt, jacket, hat..... Id wear a mask as well if it was socially acceptable. I hate, hate, hate exposing my skin to this kind of sun and temperature. I'm more than willing to put up with a little extra hea to avoid the sort of skin damamge some folks refer to as a 'tan.' ;)

Maguire

Practically Family
Edward said:
If Michael Douglas (aka the slimiest man in Hollywood) does it, then it must be wrong. :p

Was Cage's suit linen? That'd make it fine, even if it was black (actually though I can't remember the details now, I believe a scientific study proved some years ago that it is the fabric and cut that counts - the myth that black clothes are warmer than lighter colours, attract more heat, is just that - a myth). I'd certainly try the jacket in that heat myself - In the present hot and sunny weather here in London, I'm wearing cotton gloves, undershirt, long sleeve shirt, jacket, hat..... Id wear a mask as well if it was socially acceptable. I hate, hate, hate exposing my skin to this kind of sun and temperature. I'm more than willing to put up with a little extra hea to avoid the sort of skin damamge some folks refer to as a 'tan.' ;)

I sweat in the winter if i'm walking and the sun is out. Even a long sleeve shirt is difficult to wear in the summer, it gets sweated out too fast. maybe it's just me. But it does seem that a jacket in the summer is... well pointless to a degree. I've done it myself (i feel kind of exposed if i'm not wearing a jacket over a shirt and pants but it doesn't make much sense in the summer.. or rather, it lacks practicality. I agree though, i try to avoid sunlight as much as possible,

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Maguire said:
, the only acceptable short sleeve shirts are guayaberas frankly.. and there is no excuse for those outside of Cuba.
There seems to be millions upon millions of men violating your rule throughout the Caribbean, Mexico and Asia. :rolleyes:

Maguire

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
There seems to be millions upon millions of men violating your rule throughout the Caribbean, Mexico and Asia. :rolleyes:
well its worn in other forms all over warmer climates but its not always called the guayabera (i believe there's one in the philipines too but without the pockets.).

Its worn in Mexico too, but its Cuba where it was sort of considered national dress. y=

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Maguire said:
but its Cuba where it was sort of considered national dress.
Sure but they're international. If you have Spanish call Ramón Puig, my guayabera maker in Miami (305-266-9633). He'll fill you in. ;)

Feraud

Bartender
Maguire said:
I wear it to work during the summer but i hate short sleeve shirts, the only acceptable short sleeve shirts are guayaberas frankly.. and there is no excuse for those outside of Cuba.

I wear guayabera's in NYC all summer. Do I need an excuse? Think not.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I was Doing a lot with JPL when they decided mission control looked a little too nerdy wearing their shirts and ties. I say if NASA and JPL can't be okay with looking nerdy who can?

So now they wear sweatshirts and jeans... i miss the short sleeves and ties.... but only for nerds.

As for short sleeve shirts and suits? LOOKS BAD! Get long sleeves and roll them up!

Maguire

Practically Family
CharlesB said:
that being said those guys are with a ridiculously hot model so...
indecently clad.. you can have her. I'll take a decent but plain looking woman over that thing any day of the week.

Anyway, i think Guayaberas can be worn long sleeve as well, or rather, are made long sleeve. Does anyone know if they were originally long sleeve or short sleeve?

CharlesB

Suspended
Matt Deckard said:
I was Doing a lot with JPL when they decided mission control looked a little too nerdy wearing their shirts and ties. I say if NASA and JPL can't be okay with looking nerdy who can?

So now they wear sweatshirts and jeans... i miss the short sleeves and ties.... but only for nerds.

As for short sleeve shirts and suits? LOOKS BAD! Get long sleeves and roll them up!
CORRECT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ