Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Sleeved Dress Shirts With a Suit?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MrBern said:
This guy is showing just the right amount of cuff past his sleeve.
;)
1548345904_71d78cca75.jpg

Great picture. That guy looks like a cool cat, though. I like his face.

surely

A-List Customer
Trotsky said:
I actually just picked up a vintage SS dress shirt so I can be NASA chic over Summer. I figure that with all the leftover wannabe hippies roaming the streets its about damn time we had a representative from the awesome side of the 1960s, complete with skinny tie and pocket protector.
:eek:fftopic: Ok you guys, this is not the range & you're about to hear some discouraging words.:p

At the risk of spoiling your fun, I like you to know that there is someone here who is a bona fide 'has been a hippie' & finds it rather amusing that it's taken your so-called "awesome side of the 60's" 60 yrs to have their day in the sun. What has taken you guys so long? Well welcome in any case, it's nice that you have finally caught up.lol

tally ho:cool2:

Edward

Bartender
Not my preference, though I have done it in the past. I am not replacing those shirts as they 'die' in my wardrobe, however, and they are typically used for casual wear - nothing more formal than a blazer and cravat with them.

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
Short sleeve 'dress shirts' can be worn without a coat and a tie - that way they become a sport shirt.

With a tie is fine if you manage a MacDonalds or fix copy machines. As someone said above, 'a short sleeve dress shirt' is an oxymoron.

DDibling

New in Town
I have to admit that I, too, have done the short sleeve, tie, jacket thing. I never did like it and have long since stopped doing it. My short sleeve shirts mostly just hang in my closet, slowly disintegrating. I'm glad to hear that so many others feel the same way about that look...I thought I was just being strange!

Dean

The Dame

One of the Regulars
MagistrateChris said:
Another magistrate and I are arguing about the appropriateness of wearing a short sleeved dress shirt with a suit, or even with a blaser and tie. I don't believe that it's appropriate. In fact, when I see a short sleeved dress shirt with a tie and jacket, I just cringe. He's all for it, arguing that it's dress and comfortable. Funny part is that we even disagree on the issue as to whether this is vintage appropriate, as I don't think it was done in the Golden Era, where suits were often wool, and air conditioning was a fan,

Who's right on this one?

You are. The term 'short sleeved dress shirt' is a contadiction in terms. Only bureaucrats and men who don't know better will wear a short sleeved shirt with a tie and suit or blazer. *shudder* The pairing of said shirt with a suit and tie or blazer should be firmly eschewed - vintage appropriate or no, does not matter. It is a question of taste and style. :eek:

Short sleeved dress shirts with tie (and usually pocket protector) were the uniform of the day during the summer months in many positions where the wearer was supposed to have a service look or even an authority look.

Many of the Loungers perhaps don't recall a time when every school or office was not airconditioned and in the humid summer months in an un a/c'd office or school a suit and tie would be torture, epecially on Long Island.

From kindergarten thru my senior year of high school our class rooms were not airconditioned and by June the temps could easily be in the 90's and the humidity in the 90's also. So, while it is not the dressiest of situations, many of the faculty and staff there at school wore them with ties to set the level of dress for service and authority well above above no tie and some type of golf shirt. (Even the gym teachers wore a collared shirt, but rarely a tie.)

I have no problems with this look for the regular work day and even church services when the weather is hot, I grew up with it and know the dedication of all those I repsected in their occupations that worn them in the pre-universal aircondtioning of America the Beautiful. Go Grumman Aerospace!

donCarlos

Practically Family
John in Covina - I agree. In fact, I´m wearing a short sleeved shirt right now. When it´s more than 15°C outside anything else is quite unwearable for me, because it gets sweaty in ten minutes or so...Especially in school, where is no air conditioning. So if I want to wear a shirt and maybe a sport jacket over it, I prefer the short sleeved.

It doesn´t look so bad and I can still say that I dress better than 90% of people I meet on the street. Hot weather needs some sacrifices.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
All of my short-sleeve button-front shirts are made of colorful striped seersucker, or are covered in things like old pickup trucks, surfboards, or old wooden speedboats. I'd never wear any of them with a tie, let alone a sport coat.

adamjaskie said:
All of my short-sleeve button-front shirts are made of colorful striped seersucker, or are covered in things like old pickup trucks, surfboards, or old wooden speedboats. I'd never wear any of them with a tie, let alone a sport coat.
Well the ones we are talking about tend to be a pressed crisp white short sleeved dress shirt. Think engineering and slide rule.

donCarlos

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Well the ones we are talking about tend to be a pressed crisp white short sleeved dress shirt. Think engineering and slide rule.
are we really talking about the white ones only? mine is red:) Never mind.
I think I would never wear a white one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner