Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Sleeved Dress Shirts With a Suit?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Dame said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

OH.
MY.
GOD.

The apocalypse is nigh!

You won't believe this, but when I got home from Nordy's, I emailed a friend in Palm Springs who always dresses to the nines, and used virtually the same line. "...and there in Nordstrom, at Bellevue Square, their biggest, nicest store with the better selection of everything, in the suit department, not the boyswear, not the Brass Rail, not in sportwear, mind you, was a suit with matching shorts (too short for Bermuda if that's what you're thinking). I believe this is one of the signs of impending apocalypse, is it not?"

Dare I say - great minds think alike?

Feraud

Bartender
Short sleeved shirt or rolled up?
cap120.jpg

DDibling

New in Town
Jovan said:
Unless you wear a jacket all the time, why not wear them?

Most of the time when I put on a button up shirt, I also put on a tie. And I refuse to wear a short sleeve button-up with a tie! I do have some short sleeve button-ups with various prints on them, which I'll wear, sans tie. ;) I guess I'm really talking about a plain colored button-up with a tie.

Another thing. I don't like the feel of a short sleeve shirt in a jacket, especially if I start to get sweaty. I don't like the way the satiny lining sticks to a sweaty arm! :eek:

Truly, it's a case of "to each his own." It's just that, finally, I know where I stand on the issue. For me, personally.

Dean

surely

A-List Customer
I'm past the 9-5 dance though I still dress up. I would like to know from you who are still doing the daily grind. why you feel that it is a requirement that a suit must be worn when it's hot and uncomfortable. Is there some silent code of dress the violation of which will lead to social ridicule. Or on the other hand, do you feel that those who wear ss shirts or even shorts deserve to be shunned?:D

Regards

Surely

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Feraud said:
Short sleeved shirt or rolled up?
cap120.jpg

My no longer 20/20 eyes and this crappy monitor won't allow me to say one way or the other. I hope it's rolled up though. At first glance, it looks like it's his white undershirt only! :eek:

I agree with the "no short sleeves with a jacket" crowd. Take off the jacket and roll'em up if you gotta! It's also the reason God, with His infinite wisdom and mercy, gave us linen.

(Not to mention iced tea and "casual Fridays".)

The Dame

One of the Regulars
luvthatlulu said:
I agree with the "no short sleeves with a jacket" crowd. Take off the jacket and roll'em up if you gotta! It's also the reason God, with His infinite wisdom and mercy, gave us linen.

:eusa_clap Hear, hear, luvthatlulu! And cotton. Granted, it's a bear to have to iron all the time, but it breathes ... you can't beat natural fiber for keeping you cool.

Slightly off-topic, but ... my other menswear faux pas pet peeve: No undershirt under a dress shirt. Hate it. Especially with a white shirt made with very thin material - practically see-through. Gotta have an undershirt - it'll keep you warm in winter, wick away moisture in summer and make all your dress shirts look smooth and crisp.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Please kill this thread

There is no such thing as a short-sleeved dress shirt, despite what the Sears catalog may say, or what you may have seen your high school physics teacher wearing. If you are wearing a coat you wear a long sleeved shirt. There is one, and only one, exception to this, and that is if you are wearing the green jacket over your golf shirt.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
. . . . Nordstrom had suits with matching shorts. Not in the boys' department, not in the teen section, but in the menswear section. . . . .

When I imagine shorts with a suit, I only think of one person, and he didn't exactly hale from "The Golden Era," as the term is used here at FL:

angus5gg7.jpg

As to short-sleeved shirts and suits . . . No, no, no. Short-sleeved shirts are fine, alone or as part of a uniform (NASA engineers, copier technicians, etc.). However, if the event is dressy enough to warrant a jacket & tie, it warrants a fully-sleeved shirt. (Unless you're Angus, of course.)

The Dame

One of the Regulars
Bourbon Guy said:
There is one, and only one, exception to this, and that is if you are wearing the green jacket over your golf shirt.

Well put, Bourbon Guy! lol

Yeah, Spats, Angus Young got away with it but that's because it was part of his whole 'school boy gone bad' image on stage. Gotta admit, though, he pulls it off ...

:D

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
short SLEEVE shirt

CHECK list:

1. Short sleeve shirt
2. Pocket protector
3. Pants @ "flood" length
4. Corfam lace up shoes.
5. Industrial strength white socks.
6. Extra strength Vitalis (Incl. 60 sec. workout)

Solid Citizen lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points