Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I defeather this Stetson??

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
OK, here is a question... I just got this Stetson on ebay:

!B2QOCJwB2k~$%28KGrHqMOKkME%29NP2F%29NhBMht2lT6,!~~0_12.JPG

It is new, unworn and in the original box. I paid $19.00 (plus shipping, the bid was only $9.00).

I am Not a fan of those goofy feathers in the hat ribbon on any hat. I prefer just the ribbon and maybe a pin. But I just don't like the look of those feather thingies.

Should I remove the feather? If I do will it mar the hat? How are these things affixed? Does Stetson glue them under the ribbon or are they glued to the hat outside the ribbon?

What do ya'all think on this one? Anyone have experience with removing the feathers?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would definitely take it out. It is probably just stuck back in there, although there might be a little dab of glue holding it in. Either way, I think it has to go.

Nothing against feathers (my go to hat still has its feathers), but those just are a bit much.

Shel

New in Town
Yes and forthwith! I once thought it was mandatory for a hat to have a feather. I've since changed my way of thinking. For example, I wouldn't dream of adding one to the two Art Fawcett masterpieces I have and would probably remove feathers from future hat purchases also.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
You should decide for yourself.

In defense of feathers--they have frequently adorned hats for centuries and add some color, movement and personality when properly applied(Panache literally). You will frequently see them in "Golden Age" Movies. Sometimes they work sometimes not--nothing to do with purity.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I would take that feather off. I'm not opposed to feathers, at least not as much as I thought I would be. I actually took the feather off my Stetson Temple and put it on my Stetson Latte, which is a Milan weave. That's probably hat heresy, but I like the way it looks. I also left the feather on my vintage Resistol. But this one looks really big for my taste.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never cared for feathers, but you should most certainly decide how you feel about them.

Many hats come with them, but they're not typically hooked in or glued (not to say yours isn't, so just be careful).

Whatever you do, you might consider keeping them in your hat box, or near your hat care equipment. If you take them out, you may reconsider putting them back.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Mobile Vulgus said:
I am Not a fan of those goofy feathers in the hat ribbon on any hat. I prefer just the ribbon and maybe a pin. But I just don't like the look of those feather thingies.

Should I remove the feather?
Yes, you don't like feathers so take it off

Mobile Vulgus said:
If I do will it mar the hat?
No, but it might leave a tiny impression where the feather was.

Mobile Vulgus said:
How are these things affixed? Does Stetson glue them under the ribbon or are they glued to the hat outside the ribbon?
Stetson usually doesn't glue them in but just be careful.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav