Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I get a new winter jacket?

ProfessorShak

New in Town
Hey Gang,

The photos you see here are from my 3 yr old bomber that I got from a local leather shop for $240 during a summer sale. It the warmest jacket I've ever owned but I didn't know much about leather at the time. I wanted something that can take a good beating and still look like new. Unfortunaly the jacket is showing a lot of wear and tear, which is undesirable. The shearling is even sticking out of a sleeve as shown and the leather is peeling. Could this be just poor quality leather?
I have a fall/spring goatskin jacket and I love the feel and want a winter jacket with the same durability. It doesn't have to be a shearling but It needs to be VERY warm, NY winters can be bad.
I know this jacket still has some life left to it, but my financial situation provides me opportunity to purchase another jacket. I don't know how much that will change once my wife and I start having kids so I'd rather get one sooner than later, but should I?
I've looked at LL Bean's Wool Flying Tiger and Magnoli's Shearling adventure jacket. I don't want lambskin for I get into pretty rough situations (I have been dragged by a few motorcycles).
I want something tough,durable, WARM, and won't put too much a dent in my wallet (I'm thinking <$600) doesn't have to be shearling but I should have those qualities.
Thanks guys
IMG_0294.jpg
IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg
IMG_0297.jpg

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Heck, yea!

If you want leather, B-3 Sherpa Flyers Bomber Jacket - Alpha at about $400.00 street. Or pay a little more and try something really high end- the Magnoli is probably better leather. Really high end also exists- It would be less warm but the J. J. Powell bomber looks sweet but nearly twice the price of the Magnoli. (http://jlpowellusa.com/product/34_51-Outerwear/317-J-L-Powell-ANJ-3-Flight-Jacket.html) Support those who support the Lounge! :)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your jacket has plenty of life left in it. You could treat it with Pecards Leather Dressing and patch repair any holes. Alternatively sewing up the holes and gluing with Barge Cement is a really effective way to do it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm with Andrew, that jacket has a lot of life left in it. It seems to me more a case that you treat your jackets pretty hard. Everything on there is easily mended.

I'd disagree with your thoughts that wear and tear are "undesirable". Indeed I'd say that's what gives a jacket character and "personality". The patina that leather gets with wear and age is IMHO one of the best things about leather. As I said you obviously give your jackets a bit of a hard time, so any other jacket you pick up with probably look the same in another 3 years time.

If it was me, I'd save my money and fix it up. It's nice to have a few scrapes and wear on the jacket, shows you use it.

kevinblack

New in Town
G&B do a military and civil B3 shearling for $688. You can dick around with sizes and they have a 100% satisfaction return policy. Their quality is excellent, I've their civil A-2. Authenticity isn't 100%, but that wasn't my goal....

Cheers,
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL