Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I get a perm? Advice please.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I look like a poodle! Hence the advice throughout this thread: don't expect a perm to give you a 'set' look on its own. You *have* to set it if you want the look. If you just leave it to dry you *will* get that poodle-y, frizzy classic perm look.

I'll second that. :thumb:
I just had my hair permed.. again. I had it different this time: the curls are bigger, the hair is shorter. And, it's winter! :) Summer is not a great time to put on a perm, it tends to get a will of it own. :biggrin:

Really to achieve a "Vintage" style you only need to perm the ends of the hair, as the crown in the 30's through 1950's was usually smooth, perming the ends makes it easier to grow out, ask for a 'Stack Wind" they were all the rage in the mid 1970's

6690200831_f4032e5365.jpg

Last edited:

binglish prof.

New in Town
Really to achieve a "Vintage" style you only need to perm the ends of the hair, as the crown in the 30's through 1950's was usually smooth, perming the ends makes it easier to grow out, ask for a 'Stack Wind" they were all the rage in the mid 1970's

That's really good to know. I'm still on the fence about getting a perm since I also color my hair, but I set my hair almost every night and I really want to do something to my hair to keep a set, especially when it starts getting hot and humid.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
That's really good to know. I'm still on the fence about getting a perm since I also color my hair, but I set my hair almost every night and I really want to do something to my hair to keep a set, especially when it starts getting hot and humid.
What kind of color are you using? Generally speaking, I recommend to my clients that they switch to a semi-permanent color if they want to have a perm also. Of course, this isn't possible if you are bleaching or highlighting your hair. If your hair is in relatively good condition, your stylist can use a perm that is made for colored hair. It will strip some of the color, so if your hair is red, there will be significant fading

binglish prof.

New in Town
kamikat, I do permanent color at home with L'Oreal's Feria and I do my hair slightly darker than its natural color. I've been doing dark copper red brown, but I'm veering more towards medium chestnut. My natural haircolor (from what I remember) is a medium to light golden brown. To make things more difficult, I've noticed more gray in my hair, probably about 25-30%. I really don't want to do the cliched "graying lady goes lighter/blonder" look, but I'm also not quite ready to go for complete gray yet. My stylist does acknowledge that my hair is in good shape, since I condition it regularly, wash it twice a week, and use heat tools only once a week.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I gave myself a perm last week and I am in love!!!! I always felt that I couldn't have a perm because when I was dying my hair red, it was really damaged. Since I cut all the red off and have been dying it black and only the roots, my hair is much stronger. The perm did strip out the black, so I did a Manic Panic black rinse after the perm. So far, my record is now 4 days of good looking hair with the perm. I might be able to go longer, but my scalp starts to get itchy if I don't use medicated shampoo.

Antje

One Too Many

thanks for posting this, I never saw this and I'm really curious about it, because of my work ofcourse do you have pictures where there are rods all over??

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer

I wonder how this might work on very long hair. Mine is past my waist, and I was just thinking yesterday of how nice it would be to have the bottom half of it all around permed just at the ends. Rounded, of course, to reflect the era I'm going for.

I'd just cut it but it doesn't stop growing 1.5-2" per month until it's this long, I'd rather not deal with that.

Last edited:

Miss Stella

One of the Regulars
I wonder how this might work on very long hair. Mine is past my waist, and I was just thinking yesterday of how nice it would be to have the bottom half of it all around permed just at the ends. Rounded, of course, to reflect the era I'm going for.

I'd just cut it but it doesn't stop growing 1.5-2" per month until it's this long, I'd rather not deal with that.

Seriously???
What vitmains do you take?!

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Seriously???
What vitmains do you take?!

It's purely genetic. :) True, even at my laziest, I eat better than most people and that has a great deal of influence on how my hair looks, but the growth rate is purely genetic. It's thick, healthy (when I'm eating the best I can), and long. And on one hand, I love it. On the other hand, it means getting my hair cut into any style just doesn't last. So I've had bangs and the rest long for years.

I'd love to get a perm because any kind of curling my hair is extremely time consuming.

Last edited:

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Thanks to the original poster, btw. Glad this topic came up!

Now I'm wondering about price of getting it done in salon vs at home. I'd rather trust a professional. :) I'm sure it's a lot more expensive. Dying my hair I can do for under $20 myself, but getting my hair dyed just black at a salon is at least $120.

Doing it at home, I'd have to buy rods anyway, so I'm sure it would worth it to go to a salon when the time comes.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss Moonlight, I do my own perms because I'm a hairstylist. I've been doing at least one perm per week on clients for the last 15 years. I do not recommend doing it on yourself.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I'd love to get a perm because any kind of curling my hair is extremely time consuming.

I'm sure thhis was mentioned before, but just to point out, perming will NOT give you the same look as curling your hair. You'll still need to set it, so it won't save you time in that respect.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure thhis was mentioned before, but just to point out, perming will NOT give you the same look as curling your hair. You'll still need to set it, so it won't save you time in that respect.
Yes, but you won't have to set your hair as much. Without a perm, my set only lasts a single day. With a perm, my set lasts 3 days. I could probably go 4 days if my scalp didn't start to get itchy after 3 days. So, with respect to having to wash and set your hair every night, it does save time.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First off:
I've been gone WAY too long... great to be back. :high5:

Second.. question:
about having a perm and coloring the hair...
1. Have anyone done it?
2. How much time apart do they need (two weeks.. more)?
3. Does perm REALLY get your colored hair a few shades lighter?

..I'd like to dye mine RED.. so.. :noidea: ..I need first hand answers.

Thanks.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
First off:
I've been gone WAY too long... great to be back. :high5:

Second.. question:
about having a perm and coloring the hair...
1. Have anyone done it?
2. How much time apart do they need (two weeks.. more)?
3. Does perm REALLY get your colored hair a few shades lighter?

..I'd like to dye mine RED.. so.. :noidea: ..I need first hand answers.

Thanks.
Yes, I have a perm and colored hair. Is you hair natural now and you want to color it after your perm or is your hair currently colored? That makes a difference in which perm your stylist will use. Perms for natural hair can be very damaging on colored hair. There are perms designed for colored or highlighted hair that are more gentle. If your hair is currently colored, the perm solution will strip your color. If you hair is natural (never been colored), it will not affect the natural color of the hair. Dying the hair should always been done after the perm. Once your hair is permed, it is best to use a semi-permanent color, unless you have resistent grey hairs. The perm will make your hair more pourous and therefore a semi-permanent color will last longer than on natural hair. If you use a semi-permanent, you can color the same day. I do not recommend using a permanent color unless your hair is in really good condition after the perm. Your stylist can test the strength of the hair to determine if it's strong enough for a permanent color. High lift color is right out. This means going lighter more than 2 shades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points