Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or Shouldn't I?

The Shirt

Practically Family
I thought it would be something way out there but Ruby - that looks perfectly you! I can absolutely see you in that. Darling.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thank you! All the reviews said it shows cleavage (not a normal daytime occurence for me),so I will pair it with a jacket for work. I indulged after all and ordered it, it was on sale.

Miss Jay

New in Town
Blondie said:
Miss jay, if you like them then wear them, thats all that matters.
The most stylish people are the ones who rock their own style by adding a bit of this and a bit of that, plus so much of 70's fashion was based on the
30s/40's anyway !
I am sure if you choose to buy them and wear then you will look fabulous.
I for one think they are cute !!!

I like this theory! Thanks Blondie :)

SayCici - I've never been into loafers, just a personal preference. Thankyou for trying to think of alternatives for me though!

I'm probably going to get them. Definitely swaying towards the Yes side!

Blondie

Practically Family
Miss Jay ~ no you have me wanting a pair !
BUT am doin the March No Spender Bender , so maybe in April ????

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
What to buy, what to buy?

I thought this could be a thread where we could help each other decide what our next clothing purchase should be if we're a little spoiled for choice. There's just so much pretty stuff out there sometimes it can seem like an overwhelming task, especially since we can only dream about affording ALL of it.

I was going to get the Madison Avenue dress from Pinup Girl, but unfortunately it has sold out for now. So I'm trying to figure out what would give me the most bang for my buck in terms of beauty and especially practicality. The more use I would get out of an item the better.

First up is these shoes. I need something both comfortable enough for long walks, and pretty and versatile enough to go with all my dresses. They're definitely affordable, though I likely wouldn't wear them until the snow melts. I'm also wondering if 25 is somehow too old for them.
http://www.sinfulshoes.com/cork-wedge-pump-tattoo-embroidery.aspx

Next is the Ava dress in red from Stop Staring! It's not an every day dress but I only have one cocktail dress (also from Stop Staring! and my favorite dress ever) and I've been doing my best to incorporate it into my regular rotation by adding a belt and a cardigan to make it more "day". I think I might be able to do the same with this?
http://www.stopstaringclothing.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=289

I've been thinking about this one a lot, the black Birdie from Pinup Girl. It's conservative enough for an office I think, but my grandma thinks it would be too costume-y. I think it's perfection, but the price is quite high for me right now, so it would require quite a bit more saving.
http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/birdie-dress-black.html

I have LOTS more on my radar right now but so far these are the top three. What makes the most sense?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the Pinup Girl one is the only one that is really work-appropriate. *Maybe* you could get away with the Ava dress with a suit jacket over it (I have a leopard dress that I wear to work with a jacket over it and it makes it more appropriate). Those shoes....you say, you want to take LONG WALKS in them? Somehow I doubt it! lol But maybe you are tougher than I am!

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Haha you'd be surprised! Though I'm trying to avoid heels more than 3 inches (these ones are 3 if you don't include the platform), my favorite shoes of all time were 5 inches, fairly thick heels so not unstable, with the softest thick leather straps. I wore them on walks lasting 1-2 hours without a single problem, and after ten years they finally gave out for good. I still mourn them and refuse to throw them out lol What worries me now is straps or edges digging in, having little stability, or not enough cushioning in the sole. My feet are also very narrow which makes for a lot of fit problems. I've never been able to recreate the magic of those old strappy heels, but I figure I'll do my best and let Dr. Scholls take care of the rest!

Last edited:

tuppencehapenny

New in Town
The birdie dress is wonderful! I think it would be great for work. If you're on a budget though, why not try etsy or ebay for something similar - you can often pick up an original 50s dress for under $65.

I'm in the process of narrowing down my etsy faves to which are essentials (and beyond my sewing skills).
]

tuppencehapenny

New in Town
The birdie dress is wonderful! I think it would be great for work. If you're on a budget though, why not try etsy or ebay for something similar - you can often pick up an original 50s dress for under $65.

I'm in the process of narrowing down my etsy faves to which are essentials (and beyond my sewing skills). \ZX

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Should I?

I'm looking at a GORGEOUS vintage dress on Etsy and I'm a little torn. My heart wants it desperately, but my head says "you could make that" and "you would feel costume-y". To be fair it's very expensive, but on the other hand I WILL most likely have enough money by the end of the month, and it's really not that far off from what I usually pay for things. AND I never have enough motivation for large projects. This would also be my very first vintage clothing item. And the fact that it's one of a kind is making me feel like I have to jump on it before it's too late. What do you ladies think? Is this a good idea?

il_570xN.233205160.jpg

Last edited:

Drappa

One Too Many
Go for it, and try to reserve it now. I was hesitating about a dress from that shop and lost it, so it's now my screensaver :D
I bought material and a pattern to copy mine, but this one would be harder to make because of the detail. Also, actual vintage has a different feel to it than homemade. Buy it if it is important enough for you to post here ( and ignore hubby ) ;)

monicacaroline

New in Town
Freddie's

I'm thinking of buying the Freddie's of pinewood side button jeans. I have been trying to incorporate more vintage style in my everyday clothes and not just my dancing clothes. They're quite pricey and I was wondering if they'd be worth it?

I am also trying to stop punishing myself for being my natural weight (148 ish) and start buying clothes that make me feel great at my current size.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I am also trying to stop punishing myself for being my natural weight (148 ish) and start buying clothes that make me feel great at my current size.

:eek:fftopic: Good girl! We all need to do this a little more I think. Back on topic... I've heard great things about Freddie's jeans. When I've had my baby and saved some money they are definitely something I want to invest in.

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
I have Freddies jeans which I have only worn once. I put weight on after I got them, and now they don't fit (that, and they were tight to begin with). In my opinion, they made me look quite chunky, but the ladies on the website look gorgeous. I'm considering selling them, so if anyone wants cheap 26"/36" jeans.... ;)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I've been thinking about this one a lot, the black Birdie from Pinup Girl. It's conservative enough for an office I think, but my grandma thinks it would be too costume-y. I think it's perfection, but the price is quite high for me right now, so it would require quite a bit more saving.
http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/birdie-dress-black.html

I have LOTS more on my radar right now but so far these are the top three. What makes the most sense?

Probably too late, but a friend of mine on another forum has the Birdie dress and she has said
find that the neckline doesn't sit as nicely as the photos suggest. I needed to unpick the seam between the 'crossover' a bit. The belt that came with was way too large & even though I got dad to add more holes to it it looked NQR. Having said that, I really like stretch sateen fabric - it hangs nicely & holds its shape well. If you can get the dress with a discount it's worth it!

Also - should I get a copy of the Vivienne Westwood red dress that Nigella Lawson has, made to wear to a wedding next year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner