Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I Replace the Ribbon?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I've replaced quite a few grosgrain ribbons, using both pirated and brand new materials. I am, however struggling with whether I should replace the ribbon on this ancient Borsalino, or just accept it as it is, and appreciate the character.

It is as clean as it will get. I've washed it twice in cold water and mild detergent. The first time, I treated it with a stain remover stick. The second time, I presoaked the grosgrain with vinegar. The problem is a combination of fading and sweat and oil stains.

What would you do?

P1040307.jpg

P1040309.jpg

I suspect the hat is older than I am. It was the filthiest piece of felt I've ever seen. Surprisingly, the sweatband is in good shape. The dark line at the lower edge of the ribbon was under the wind trolley, which had dry-rotted and quickly broke.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Looks like superb quality felt. - too good to relegate it to beater status? Replace the ribbon, but may have to try a contrasting color, as you might never find an exact match to the bound edge.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
To me the quality of the hat is determined by the quality of the felt. In my opinion, the staining on the ribbon detracts from an otherwise excellent hat. I'd replace it in a heartbeat. Just my two cents...

Spellflower

Practically Family
Why would you NOT replace the ribbon? I guess there is something to be said for keeping an old thing as intact and authentic as possible. However, I think a hat that nice deserves a ribbon that compliments it, whreas the stained ribbon detracts. As for matching the bound edge, could you replace that too? There may be techincal reasons why it's not a good idea, but if it was my hat, I'd ask Art or Graham to see what they could do.

Razzman

One Too Many
Absolutely, replace the ribbon. I doubt even if you soaked it naptha it wouldn't come clean. Sweat is difficult to clean. You tried the vinegar and it didn't work.

L HATLEY

One of the Regulars
RIBBON REPLACEMENT

JT if you want a beater, leave the ribbon alone,
now on the other hand it sure would look very
pristine,with a new ribbon.
so what you gonna do?:eusa_booh :whistling

nulty

One of the Regulars
Spellflower "Why would you NOT replace the ribbon? I guess there is something to be said for keeping an old thing as intact and authentic as possible. However, I think a hat that nice deserves a ribbon that compliments it, whreas the stained ribbon detracts. As for matching the bound edge, could you replace that too? There may be techincal reasons why it's not a good idea, but if it was my hat, I'd ask Art or Graham to see what they could do."

The best advice....That's a collectible hat and deserves a high end restoration IMO......

Baking soda an warm water along with a little tooth brush action
has done an admirable job on some ring around the collar on several vintage white shirts I have.....it probably won't do enough though to save that ribbon....:eek:

Good Luck !! That's a nice find.....

carter

I'll Lock Up
Change the ribbon.

That ribbon has to go. Keep it in a box if nostalgia matters but not on the hat.

Have a hatter give it a complete once over. A vintage Borsalino is certainly worth the investment.

Jimmy Pierce in Granbury does complete refubs for as little as $65.00 I believe.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I disagree

Two points:

- You will not be able to match the brim binding with your
new hat band.

- You are very unlikely to find material of the quality that
Borsalino used in those days.

The hat band looks undamaged to me. It just has some
oily stain. I am not convinced it is as clean as it will get.
Cold water, mild detergent, stain remover stick, and vinegar
are not the most effective ways to clean such a stain, from
what I have read here. I fear the vinegar may set it.
I would try naphtha or sending it out to a professional to
clean it before changing out the hat band for something
inferior. If you remove the hat band, you could even send
it to a (competent) dry cleaner for custom cleaning.

To me, the original material, color, size, and bow of a vintage hat
band (and all the moreso with one of the quality of a vintage
Borsalino) is a large part of the aesthetic value of a vintage hat.
Those are probably dyes that are no longer used, material weaved
by a machine that no longer exists, using raw materials no longer
economically viable, chosen, matched, and shaped by a craftsman
of a bygone era.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Keep trying. I am with Feltfan here and to me the ribbon carries more value than the sweatband (depending on the sweatband). Emboldened after reading this thread last night I spent some time cleaning an old Borsalino. The ribbon looked like yours but after several washings in the sink with detergent and stain remover as well as some scrubbing with an old tooth brush and toothpowder the ribbon is without blemish. It has faded a tad and still looks worn but it is definately good enough to place back on the hat. Keep trying different methods until you get it clean. The reward is worth the effort.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I'm not looking to hijack this thread, but I need some ribbon advice

This summer I bought an inexpensive Panama hat. The store had a number of these Panamas in various sizes, but the only one that fit my pumpkin head had a white ribbon. I'm not thrilled about a white ribbon on a white hat, but the price was very right, so I bought it. I'm looking to change the ribbon to something like a navy blue or black, but I have no idea where to look to buy a ribbon. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks! :) Here's a pic of me wearing the hat:
DSCN0968.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
KilroyCD said:
This summer I bought an inexpensive Panama hat. The store had a number of these Panamas in various sizes, but the only one that fit my pumpkin head had a white ribbon. I'm not thrilled about a white ribbon on a white hat, but the price was very right, so I bought it. I'm looking to change the ribbon to something like a navy blue or black, but I have no idea where to look to buy a ribbon. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks! :) Here's a pic of me wearing the hat:
Panama.jpg
To me that is alot of white!! Some places sell those puggaree things that you can interchange colors.Todds costumes has brown ribbon for around $2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24