Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should tobacco usage scene's be deleted?

Shimmy Sally

It's such a silly idea.
I was raised on those old movies with more smoking cigs, guns, and cigars than one could count. Despite being exposed to the film noir genre at a very early age, I have never taking up smoking or shooting.
Pretending it isn't there doesn't make it go away.

Doh!

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
Oh great, now Pinnochio will be R rated because of all the boys smoking on Pleasure Island.:rage:

That truly is the danger of this rule: how can you send a message that smoking is bad if you can't even show the negative effects to the youth who should see it?

There was an episode of Leave It to Beaver in which the Beave and Larry Mondello sneak puffs out of a pipe. The boys became ill, and vowed never to smoke again -- message served. Under this new rule, that same message could only appear in an R-rated movie... which the under-17 set can't even see!

I think my head's about to explode.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely!!!!

Off course all smokingscenes should be cut out. Along with all scenes where people shoot at each other - or at live animals.
And while they are at it, remove all scenes with swearing, drinking, sex, drugs of any kind and people urinating or worse:rolleyes:

That way most movies would come down to 20 minutes or so - and we could all get out of the cinema and into the real world in time for some shooting at each other, drinking, smoking and having sex...and whatever lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Kevin Smith, of all people brought up an interesting theory in the 'documentary' This Film is not yet Rated where violence and self inflicted harm get trumped over sex for allowable scenarios to view in movies.

He mentioned that fictional violence, like many James bond movies, where you dont really see blood, but just people falling over from shots and explosions should be rated R, where as true to form violence, like Saving Private Ryan, should be PG to discourage people from looking on it as merely entertainment. I thought that was an interesting concept.

He also mentioned that the tired plot device of a woman being raped (which is a catalyst in many, many films) would deem the movie NC-17. I thought that was interesting too.

Sorry I went a bit off topic :eek:

LD

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
If tobacco usage was banned in all films, you would have never had the opportunity to witness the great performances of Humphrey Bogart or Bette Davis.

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
two letters E.T.
1024_edits.jpg

Shimmy Sally

Lady Day said:
Kevin Smith, of all people brought up an interesting theory in the 'documentary' This Film is not yet Rated where violence and self inflicted harm get trumped over sex for allowable scenarios to view in movies.
He mentioned that fictional violence, like many James bond movies, where you dont really see blood, but just people falling over from shots and explosions should be rated R, where as true to form violence, like Saving Private Ryan, should be PG to discourage people from looking on it as merely entertainment. I thought that was an interesting concept.
He also mentioned that the tired plot device of a woman being raped (which is a catalyst in many, many films) would deem the movie NC-17. I thought that was interesting too.Sorry I went a bit off topic :eek: LD

That's an interesting point. It was brought up with video games a while back too. It probably is worse to show violence with no emotion or consequences.

poetman

A-List Customer
What is most absurd about this recent idea is that it clearly focuses the larger issue at hand: political correctness and social watch dogs seem to fear life. People curse, have sex, eat poorly, drink, smoke, love, die, grieve, suffer, rejoice, and so on, and I, as a cognitive and functioning citizen, should have the right to decide what part of humanity I want to see visually represented. Bill O'Reilley reporsts the news and also gives the opinion to adopt on the issue; now, the MPAA selects what films you can watch, and now they dictate how you can watch them.

I never heard that tobacco scenes were going to be deleted, only that they were going to be considered in the rating decisions. Thus, Casablanca would be an R--possibly an X rated film!

War is Peace.
Slavery is Freedom.
Ignorance is Strength.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire said:
Off course all smokingscenes should be cut out. Along with all scenes where people shoot at each other - or at live animals.
And while they are at it, remove all scenes with swearing, drinking, sex, drugs of any kind and people urinating or worse:rolleyes:

That way most movies would come down to 20 minutes or so - and we could all get out of the cinema and into the real world in time for some shooting at each other, drinking, smoking and having sex...and whatever lol

They'd become wholesome family films. Hurray! Not enough of those

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Then there's that Porky Pig cartoon; "Little Boys shouldn't smoooooke".

Oh yeah, there was plenty of smoking in cartoons and we now know the PC nutjobs are censoring cartoons left and right, (except their beloved South Park) so I guess an X rating goes to that delightful cartoon where the little owl sings jazz but the parents want him to sing opera. You remember; "I love to singa, like a moona and a tuna a swinga, I love to singa, like a sky of blue and a thing or two, because I love to , I love to sing." FOOLS! CURSE THE DAY THEY WERE CONCEIVED!:

panamag8or

Practically Family
Doh! said:
I have a few "younger" (20s and 30s) coworkers who will step outside to smoke if we have drinks after work, and I always try to remind them, "You know those cause cancer... right?"

Honestly, as long as I can't smell it I don't care if people smoke or not. But it seems like a very foolish activity. I'm not sure I've met a smoker yet who hasn't at least tried to quit at some point. So why start in the first place?

Edited because it was off-topic, and I thought better of it.

Back on topic... It is a silly thing to censor movies about, especially considering what isn't on the MPAA's agenda that should be.

Doh!

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
Well, I've never seen E.T. and I'm glad that I never will since this crap has happened. Is Spielberg going to edit out all the offensive scenes from the movie 1941?

Actually, Linc, even if you rent the new DVD of E.T., Spielberg thinks highly enough of his fans to retain BOTH versions of the movie: the original cut is still available.

Lucas finally capitulated with the original Star Wars trilogy but it took him long enough.

Doh!

One Too Many
panamag8or said:
Edited because it was off-topic, and I thought better of it.

Back on topic... It is a silly thing to censor movies about, especially considering what isn't on the MPAA's agenda that should be.

Well, dang, now I'm curious!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Doh! said:
Actually, Linc, even if you rent the new DVD of E.T., Spielberg thinks highly enough of his fans to retain BOTH versions of the movie: the original cut is still available.

Lucas finally capitulated with the original Star Wars trilogy but it took him long enough.

What did Lucas capitulate with on Star Wars? And that's a film I didn't even see until 1997.:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points